Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2022, 07:42 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Teterboro only ever had about 20 people living in it, since it's mostly industrial (my own father worked for Bendix there, now Allied Signal). Just looked. Population is up to 102.
The Bergen County Juvenile Dentention Center & Youth Shelter must have expanded.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 12:45 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
NYC folk (and others from urban northeast NJ) are the bane of my existence right now. I live near the PA border in Northwest NJ, and they're buying up everything. Then they bring their city ways- leaving dogs outside to bark all day, parking 5-6 cars on a lot designed for 2-3, double parking in the street, being loud after 10 pm, leaving trashy furniture outside for weeks for garbage pickup when garbage doesn't pick it up and then just leaving it there, speeding all over, etc etc.

I like it here, but loved it much more 3 years ago. I used to defend NYC people, because much of my family is from there originally (many years ago) but I can't defend it anymore. They come out here and can't assimilate. Its like the Poconos of the 80's all over again. And each NYer that buys up a house and sits home all day has taken a house away from a local family that could barely afford prices 3 years ago. Very sad.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:27 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
NYC folk (and others from urban northeast NJ) are the bane of my existence right now. I live near the PA border in Northwest NJ, and they're buying up everything. Then they bring their city ways- leaving dogs outside to bark all day, parking 5-6 cars on a lot designed for 2-3, double parking in the street, being loud after 10 pm, leaving trashy furniture outside for weeks for garbage pickup when garbage doesn't pick it up and then just leaving it there, speeding all over, etc etc.

I like it here, but loved it much more 3 years ago. I used to defend NYC people, because much of my family is from there originally (many years ago) but I can't defend it anymore. They come out here and can't assimilate. Its like the Poconos of the 80's all over again. And each NYer that buys up a house and sits home all day has taken a house away from a local family that could barely afford prices 3 years ago. Very sad.

Dont even get me started on how they drive the speed limit in the left lane of the highway.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:50 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

You can equally place the blame on those local sellers selling at a high price to NYers. Each and every one of them has the right to sell at a lower price to a local family.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:06 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I’ve only been to Bendix diner one time over 10 years ago. Our waiter was a blind man. I wonder if he still works there. Nice guy. Actually found a video about him on YouTube

https://youtu.be/Bp_7iY3xp1A
Well, I was actually talking about the aerospace engineering company, but I have never been to the diner, either.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You can equally place the blame on those local sellers selling at a high price to NYers. Each and every one of them has the right to sell at a lower price to a local family.
Sure, Hudson County, and sometimes they do. The highest offer isn't always the best, especially if the debt to income ratio is high, which it often is. Some of these folks can't even qualify for a mortgage, they pool money together and thankfully higher rates seem to be weeding them out.

At 5% or more, you're looking at $3,000 a month for a mortgage in the smallest of houses around here. It will tend to be older, smaller, with well and septic and needing of updates. I'm hoping that keeps people away, honestly. Add in a long commute and $3k a month for house, makes it hard to justify moving out here. Poconos attracted a lot of city folk, rates were high but home prices were ridiculously low. That's not the case here. Where I live, it's Morris County pricing or higher thanks to the high tax, excellent schools. But with rates in the 2's, the influx was rampant. Hopefully now its slowing down. I'm hoping for 10%!

It's no ones problem but my own. Can't blame someone for wanting to live where there is trees and mountains and fresh air. Can't say there's no roadside garbage anymore because I'm noticing that more with the influx. I just wish people would assimilate better instead of being rude and self-centered.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:15 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
The seller wouldn’t know the buyer’s debt to income ratio so I don’t see how that’s relevant.

I can sympathize if your gripes are genuine and you’re not just one of these people who after you got your own house are unhappy whenever any newcomers arrive. People need to be respectful of their neighbors but idk if that necessarily means assimilating. Sometimes change is good.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The seller wouldn’t know the buyer’s debt to income ratio so I don’t see how that’s relevant.

I can sympathize if your gripes are genuine and you’re not just one of these people who after you got your own house are unhappy whenever any newcomers arrive. People need to be respectful of their neighbors but idk if that necessarily means assimilating. Sometimes change is good.
I'm not surprised based on your location that you feel that way. I'm cool with newcomers, we get a fair amount and I notice the local newcomers are respectful of the way things are done here, and the city folk are not. That's all.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:11 PM

18 posts, read 28,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I'm assuming the town's government or chamber of commerce usually has something to do with it.

South Orange is a "poophole"? LOL. Anyway, your buffer from Montclair is mostly Verona, not West Orange. With a wee bit of Essex Fells and North Caldwell, though how you protect yourself from North Caldwell people is beyond me.
All the while Essex Fells is just looking to hide from the likes of Caldwell. It would take a seriously malformed sense of direction and geography to every consider the very working class likes of West Orange to be something which protects you from Montclair. West Orange is a buffer zone for the estate section of Montclair proper. Really it's a DMZ zone. The amount of package stealers and prowlers who walk into Montclair via Harrison Avenue is of a considerable volume. Bloomfield is the ultimate buffer zone. Sadly, the area around Brookdale and Broad St is full of crime and break-ins these days, and it borders Glen Ridge. I can recall when it was just the part of Bloomfield which bordered North Newark and EO that was seedy. Nowadays, visitors ask for directions into Montclair that do not involve being exposed to the third world state of lawlessness that is downtown Bloomfield.

The Caldwell poster "Danny" seems a bit out of touch with reality. Most people in Montclair would not consider moving to Caldwell. Bloomfield ave narrows. The housing stock is not even in the same universe as the 'Clair. It's safer, because it is further removed from Newark and the Oranges. That is about the only upside.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:19 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Well, the New York Times has published a real estate puff piece on my town. Now we're going to be overrun with Brooklynites and Manhattan dwellers running up prices, complaining about the lack of taxi service and the fact that our performing arts center is named after a Nazi, and demanding yet more stoplights. If our mayor is in any way responsible for this, fie on him.

New Yorkers flush with money are heartily invited to instead continue with their usual obsession with Maplewood and Montclair, or perhaps strike out to Summit or Roseland or even Essex Fells.

(Amusingly the comments section appears to be mostly West Orange residents complaining about the taxes)
Is it going the way of Montclair? The performing arts center is named after Shindler right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey