Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 04:31 PM

192 posts, read 219,163 times

Advertisements

Hello , ihave not been to cape may in about 25 years

I believe it is very nice now and got me thinking of vacation for next year

Looking for recommendations of reasonably priced place to stay very close to the beach and walking distance to things

House condo nice motel reallyany type of accommodation

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 07:37 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
If you are willing to go before June 30, The Victorian Motel is fairly reasonable and right in the heart of things - about 2 blocks from the beach and right across from the Washington Street Pedestrian Mall. Current guests get first dibs for the same dates the following year but there are always people who don't rebook.

The same owners own The Camelot Motel and is also centrally located and near the beach. You can try them if the Victorian is booked. The Victorian has a nicer layout and pool. But both would be adequate.

If you go before mid-June, Summer Station is a condo-tel with two bedrooms, bath, washer/dryer, pool, etc. It's very roomy and quite reasonable the first half of June. It is beachfront.

For all of these, you should call now for next summer. I've been doing a weeklong summer vacation in Cape May for 40 years (since I was 14), so if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

https://www.victorianmotelnj.com/
https://capemaycamelot.com/
https://summerstationhotel.com/

Old 07-14-2022, 09:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
Hello , ihave not been to cape may in about 25 years

I believe it is very nice now and got me thinking of vacation for next year

Looking for recommendations of reasonably priced place to stay very close to the beach and walking distance to things

House condo nice motel reallyany type of accommodation

Thank you in advance
Strange to see this written…was there a time that it wasn’t “very nice?” Anyway, just what is reasonably priced to you? Obviously, you will pay a premium to be close to the beach and downtown.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:37 AM

192 posts, read 219,163 times
Thankyou mich gc

Leps ….. I did not intend for it to say was never nice, I am thinking along the lines there it has a little more than 25 years ago and recently voted one of the nicest town, makes me want to go

Reasonable rates would depend on the place Not putting a dollar amount on it

Just like I stated close to the beach Washington square restaurants etc……

Old 07-15-2022, 12:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
Thankyou mich gc

Leps ….. I did not intend for it to say was never nice, I am thinking along the lines there it has a little more than 25 years ago and recently voted one of the nicest town, makes me want to go

Reasonable rates would depend on the place Not putting a dollar amount on it

Just like I stated close to the beach Washington square restaurants etc……
Well, the reason I ask is because many Jersey Shore towns did go through a rough period. Asbury Park, Atlantic City, Wildwood, Seaside Heights, Long Branch…to varying degrees they have recovered. I wasn’t sure if Cape May went through a similar period several decades ago. You wouldn’t suspect it by looking at Cape May because unlike the other towns, you could not really find anything run down or struggling remnants…but you never know.

The Hotel Marquis de Lafayette is a pretty prime location. Take a look for next summer rates to see if that is tolerable. Congress Hall is probably too pricy. I would say if you are looking to book for July next year, probably do it by January to ensure you have plenty of options for different types of rooms.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:24 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Cape May was downhill in the 1970s. That is part of the reason that so many of the Victorian structures were preserved. When we started going in about 1981, it was still a "local" beach town. Visitors pretty much only came from New Jersey and PA. Congress Hall was a big, empty dilapidated structure. We used to walk by and comment how sad it was that it was in such sorry shape. We never thought it would be restored, let alone to the beautiful building it is now. It was about in the 1990s that we started to notice more New Yorkers coming down and then suddenly it was somewhat on the national map. I remember seeing a Fodor's book called "Atlantic City and Cape May." They began to offer more trolley tours, more walking tours, more activities in the off-season, and became a bit more touristy. But it still hasn't lost its charm.

The Inn of Cape May (formerly The Colonial) which is another very large hotel has recently - in the past 10 years or so - gotten somewhat rundown. I was surprised to see it closed this year and is totally being renovated with modern rooms (and prices to match!). I used to go there as a kid when there was no Air Conditioning, televisions, or phones. The keys to the rooms were the old-fashioned type. I always had trouble opening them and had to have my grandmother open it for me. They have the oldest working elevator in Cape May - from the late 1800s. A person has to bring you up and down in it. Hopefully, that artifact will be kept even if they add new elevators. It was such a charming place. But over the years did fall into somewhat disrepair, so it is good someone is taking on that task.

OP, if you prefer a B&B, my family really likes the Queen Victoria. When we go in June, it's about $300 per night plus or minus, depending on the size of the room you pick. It includes a nice breakfast and a tea with treats each day. It's close to everything and about a block from the beach.

Breakfast In Cape May | Tea & Breakfast | The Queen Victoria

The longer this thread goes on, the more I will talk about Cape May. It is one of my favorite places!

Old 07-17-2022, 10:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Cape May was downhill in the 1970s. That is part of the reason that so many of the Victorian structures were preserved. When we started going in about 1981, it was still a "local" beach town. Visitors pretty much only came from New Jersey and PA. Congress Hall was a big, empty dilapidated structure. We used to walk by and comment how sad it was that it was in such sorry shape. We never thought it would be restored, let alone to the beautiful building it is now. It was about in the 1990s that we started to notice more New Yorkers coming down and then suddenly it was somewhat on the national map. I remember seeing a Fodor's book called "Atlantic City and Cape May." They began to offer more trolley tours, more walking tours, more activities in the off-season, and became a bit more touristy. But it still hasn't lost its charm.

The Inn of Cape May (formerly The Colonial) which is another very large hotel has recently - in the past 10 years or so - gotten somewhat rundown. I was surprised to see it closed this year and is totally being renovated with modern rooms (and prices to match!). I used to go there as a kid when there was no Air Conditioning, televisions, or phones. The keys to the rooms were the old-fashioned type. I always had trouble opening them and had to have my grandmother open it for me. They have the oldest working elevator in Cape May - from the late 1800s. A person has to bring you up and down in it. Hopefully, that artifact will be kept even if they add new elevators. It was such a charming place. But over the years did fall into somewhat disrepair, so it is good someone is taking on that task.

OP, if you prefer a B&B, my family really likes the Queen Victoria. When we go in June, it's about $300 per night plus or minus, depending on the size of the room you pick. It includes a nice breakfast and a tea with treats each day. It's close to everything and about a block from the beach.

Breakfast In Cape May | Tea & Breakfast | The Queen Victoria

The longer this thread goes on, the more I will talk about Cape May. It is one of my favorite places!

I was going to mention The Queen Victoria. My sister and BIL stayed there and loved it. They felt like it gave them the "authentic" Cape May experience.

We love Cape May. It's a nice place to stroll around and we like walking on the promenade. A friend of ours, an architect, bought a big old Cape May Victorian about 10 years ago and is loving living in it. Endless upkeep and maintenance, of course!

OP, Christmas and/or New Year have become big holidays for people to stay in Cape May. I've been told it is a great experience, but we have never done it (yet). Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey