Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:28 AM

1,146 posts, read 860,463 times

Advertisements

Lately more restaurants are attempting to pass on their CC surcharges to its customers without notice. This is illegal, and the Dept of Consumer Affairs already sent a warning to 14 NJ restaurants. If you catch a restaurant doing this, feel free to report their greed to the Dept of Consumer Affairs and let us all know here which ones are doing this WITHOUT giving fair notice to its customers.]

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/07/stat...usinesses.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 11:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
How come restaurants are not allowed to do this but gas stations can pass credit card charges to the consumer?

It should be illegal for all businesses

Old 07-30-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How come restaurants are not allowed to do this but gas stations can pass credit card charges to the consumer?

It should be illegal for all businesses
It is legal only IF it is disclosed ahead of time. In that case, feel free to give a less greedy place your business.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:51 PM

650 posts, read 775,391 times
Lol. Restaurants are adding tips without consent.

People are paying double tips.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Lol. Restaurants are adding tips without consent.

People are paying double tips.
If they add a tip without notifying you first, that is also illegal and by no means should you ever tip on top of that auto gratuity fee.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:31 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
They should just increase the price instead of doing this. I would never go back if a restaurant was doing this.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:34 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
They should just increase the price instead of doing this. I would never go back if a restaurant was doing this.

The restaurants (or any business really) that don’t pass on credit card charges directly to the customer already factor it in to the price of their food, goods, services, etc, just like they would any other cost. It used to annoy me but I realized 9 out of 10 times the places that do it are cheap eats places so the added cost isn’t significant. I much prefer to pay a fee to use my card than have them not accept cards at all.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The restaurants (or any business really) that don’t pass on credit card charges directly to the customer already factor it in to the price of their food, goods, services, etc, just like they would any other cost. It used to annoy me but I realized 9 out of 10 times the places that do it are cheap eats places so the added cost isn’t significant. I much prefer to pay a fee to use my card than have them not accept cards at all.
There are many places that haven't raised their prices since 2020 nor charge CC service charge, despite inflation.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 AM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times
Another benefit of the cashless society.... I never paid a fee on paying with cash

Old 08-02-2022, 01:29 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I realized 9 out of 10 times the places that do it are cheap eats places so the added cost isn’t significant. I much prefer to pay a fee to use my card than have them not accept cards at all.
+1
My favorite local BBQ joint has a sign next to the cash register noting that they add 1.5% to the bill if you choose to pay with plastic. IMHO, that's a small price to pay for the convenience of using my card.

I pay with plastic for essentially everything (including utility payments), except at the local carwash, which only accepts cash. Even with that regular cash expenditure, I still have most of my "just in case" cash hoard on hand, and I have not needed to drive to an ATM for more than 4 years.

I used to work with a woman who "saved money" by paying cash for everything. She also rejected Direct Deposit of her paycheck, so every two weeks she gave up her lunch hour to stand in line at the bank, deposit the check, and take a relatively small amount in cash. Before the next payday, she always had to drive at least twice to the bank or an ATM to replenish her cash supply. Even when gas was relatively cheap, she wasted an incredible amount of time and "gas money" while--supposedly--saving money by paying for everything with cash. And, her insistence on using cash meant that she couldn't buy gas at Costco, which is consistently cheaper than the competition.

I even showed her evidence of the many hundreds of $$ in credit card rebates that I received each year, but she maintained that she "saved money" by using cash and driving back & forth frequently to the bank or an ATM.

Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: