Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 06:59 AM

214 posts, read 351,857 times

Advertisements

Clinton would be more like an exurb and OP wanted some accessible groceries which Clinton wont have or it might be too pricey. Suggestions like Morris county (e.g. Parsippany/Troy Hill area, Montville) or Bridgewater in Somerset might be better for the OP. I would have said places like Mount Olive, Long Valley (parts of it closer to Rt 46/big box stores), but Uber/grocery home delivery is not a thing in this part of of NW Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 07:20 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,652,986 times
I like the eastern part of Morris County. I think I would explore that area if I grew tired of Bergen County density. But I don’t anticipate that happening anytime soon considering I’m used to Hudson County density.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:02 AM

10,512 posts, read 7,042,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There are some good suggestions in this thread, but one thing to keep in mind is that the tradeoffs may be bigger than you're prepared for. For example, you list ubers as a requirement. I've had trouble getting an uber in places like Denville and Boonton. Once I waited for one that drove out from Montclair to get me (had to wait a while for that), the other time my friend just ended up driving me back to JC. If you're looking at places even farther out/more rural, then things like ubers, vibrant downtowns, etc. may not be available.

Low density suburbs could be the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds!
I live right between Denville and Boonton, and never had an issue with Ubers. Sometimes you might have to wait 15-20 minutes, but never an issue. The area is populated, situated right between rt. 80 and 287 and there are least 10+ grocery stores within a 10 minute or so drive from my house.

I would check out the whole rt. 287 corridor, as there are really a handful of great towns, and really no bad ones. If you travel west of 287 you will get more size and bang for you buck but the trade-off is a bit more rural but amenities are all still close by. I would keep in mind that this is still NJ, and the homes are old, and newer single family homes are far and few between.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 11-09-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-09-2022, 06:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,981,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post
Hello,

Currently live in very busy, very dense, very loud Southern Bergen County and have been for about 5 years. Now that my wife and I no longer need to commute anywhere, we will have the option in the future (2-3 years) to move out of this area but are looking to stay in NJ, albeit desire somewhere quieter with quality schools, less density, less hustle bustle, and more bang for our back while also being 5-10 minutes within a quality downtown with good shops and restaurants (something similar to what Rutherford has right now). We love the town of Rutherford, we just don't want to live in this area much longer.

As for price point, and I know it's impossible to determine what interest rates and home prices will be in 2-3 years, but we are looking for a pretty standard 4 bedroom, 1.5/2 bedroom house with (and I'm guessing) a budget of about $500 or $600 thousand when the time comes.

We're not really familiar with many other counties in NJ other than Ocean, Essex, and Passaic, so where would you guys recommend we looked? Somerset County? I've heard good things about this area. I've also heard parts of Hunterdon are up our alley (Clinton we've heard is a really nice town), and I've heard Middlesex and Morris are really nice too (most parts), but really expensive. But I'm not speaking with any conviction at all about these places cause I'm just not familiar. We like the idea of Ocean County and being near the beach but if I had to guess, the wife would rather stay in North or "central" Jersey.

Only things we don't want are to live in a town where we have to drive 10-15 minutes to go to a grocery store or be in an area where Ubers are scarce. We love the convenience of Bergen County, just not the rest of what it comes with.

Any thoughts or ideas would be very helpful

Thanks guys
Try Warren County. But if you can move to a bordering state to NJ, then NEPA, and Upstate NY is a good option.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:36 AM

32,961 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I would stick to Morris or Somerset. Based on what you’re looking for, Hunterdon and Sussex might be too remote for you.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. We moved from Bergen County to South Jersey last year because of everything you mentioned plus the exorbitant housing costs. We found ourselves barely going to the city anymore after Covid.

We love it down here. Close to the shore. Clear skies with bright stars/moon at night and the QUIET! We are completely surrounded by woods and I don’t miss the sounds of NJ Transit buses or the sirens of ambulances going back and forth to Hackensack Hospital. Local rush hour “traffic” down here is comparable to a normal drive on Kinderkamack Road, lol.

I do miss Bergen County amenities though. Grocery options and shopping in general is lacking around here.
Which county or area? I like it down here but there aren't many walkable towns to recommend. When I need a town I drive to one.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:17 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Which county or area? I like it down here but there aren't many walkable towns to recommend. When I need a town I drive to one.
Atlantic County!

Agreed. Not many walkable downtowns around here, but that wasn’t something I required. I actually lived in a town with a walkable downtown for 6 years and while it was great to have, we only actually utilized it 1-2 times a month. Life is just too busy in our household to utilize it more than that.

I know we’re probably the odd ones out, but we prefer living in the woods, even if we have to drive everywhere. I don’t see myself ever living in a dense suburb again.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:34 AM

214 posts, read 351,857 times
See #3 here https://www.thetravel.com/most-peace...united-states/ Its in Morris county Washington Township (aka Long Valley). Uber/Lyft still might be an issue at early morning or late night. See this page too to get an idea about the area: https://www.instagram.com/ilovelongvalley/

Old 01-20-2023, 08:45 AM

189 posts, read 262,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
See #3 here https://www.thetravel.com/most-peace...united-states/ Its in Morris county Washington Township (aka Long Valley). Uber/Lyft still might be an issue at early morning or late night. See this page too to get an idea about the area: https://www.instagram.com/ilovelongvalley/
Our kids plays against the Long Valley Raiders in both Football and Lacrosse, it is BEAUTIFUL up there. We've been living in Lake Hopatcong for the last 5 years, we relocated from East Rutherford, were still adjusting lol however its much more peaceful.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:51 PM

650 posts, read 777,121 times
Northeastern corner of Bergen is the best place to enjoy life. You have everything around. Not congested.

Old 01-21-2023, 09:37 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Northeastern corner of Bergen is the best place to enjoy life. You have everything around. Not congested.
That area is very expensive and traffic can also get bad (208, 17, Franklin Ave between Wyckoff/FL, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey