Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 01:28 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
This isn't just about your gas stove. I remember mutterings about taking gas heating out of the picture as well. This is a slippery slope.
In NYC they've already banned new gas hookups, which covers both heat and stoves. Hochul is trying it now in NYC, and Murphy has proposed it but as far as I know there isn't any active legislation.

With heat they have to rely on the climate change stuff since furnaces are vented and some of them use outside air for combustion, so no indoor air pollution excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 12:46 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
IDK if I’m the only one and it might be just in my head, although many others have agreed with me. I prefer to cook and eat food prepared on a natural gas stove versus an electric range. The taste/texture of food is superior and electric ranges seem to burn food easily.

I had electric ranges in my dorm apartments in college and I absolutely hated them.
I never noticed a difference in food taste or texture. It's easier to burn things until you figure it out.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:52 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never noticed a difference in food taste or texture. It's easier to burn things until you figure it out.
Well, some food can taste better because you can use your cast iron on a gas stove. That's a no-no on the glass cooktops, I am told.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:57 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, some food can taste better because you can use your cast iron on a gas stove. That's a no-no on the glass cooktops, I am told.

I've never used one of those. I've had the coils and the solid plate like this: https://www.hometalk.com/diy/repair/...ve-top-3146164.

I chose that photo because of the error just below it.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:00 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never used one of those. I've had the coils and the solid plate like this: https://www.hometalk.com/diy/repair/...ve-top-3146164.

I chose that photo because of the error just below it.
Haha! Nobody proofreads anymore.

My parents had the older electric coils in their Pocono house. That was long ago.

The electric plate looks better than the glass if you are stuck with electric.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:55 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,648,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That would be a huge bummer for me because I use my cast iron pan several times per week. I might have to vote Republican

Old 01-22-2023, 02:42 PM

50,858 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No, the gas stove thing was proposed by the CPSC, but it didn't come from there. The climate change thing is the real reason and the asthma thing was a fig leaf for CPSC involvement (since, as you say, the CPSC is not actually involved in climate change). This was an administration trial balloon.
What are you talking about? The administration said no to it. Where is your link saying it came from climate change and not the Consumer Product Safety Commission? Because I cannot find anything that says that.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,681,778 times
I'm surprised so many fell for that BS news story.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:28 AM

10,499 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I'm surprised so many fell for that BS news story.
In the NJ News this morning.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_...5af129282.html

(The Center Square) — New Jersey Republicans are seeking to block any efforts to ban gas stoves, as the state takes aggressive steps to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions.

A proposal filed by Senate GOP lawmakers would prohibit New Jersey from banning the sale, installation or operation of gas stoves and other appliances.

The bill's primary sponsor, Senate Minority Leader Steven Oroho, R-Sussex, said at a time when many New Jersey families are "struggling with soaring prices and inflation" the state government shouldn't be seeking to ban "affordable energy choices."

We certainly don’t need Democrats in our kitchens dictating how we cook our dinner," he said. "It’s big government overreach that we need to stop."

To be sure, Gov. Phil Murphy hasn't called for a ban on gas stoves, but the state's clean energy blueprint calls for substantially reducing the state's greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, in part, by weaning homes and businesses off natural gas and other fossil fuels to keep the lights turned on and heat their homes.

Sen. Joe Pennacchio, R-Montville, suggests a ban on gas stoves and other appliances could be coming as the state endeavors to meet those benchmarks. He said Murphy's "expensive green energy plan would force New Jersey families and businesses to electrify everything, including their stoves, water heaters, and furnaces."

"Our bill would guarantee the right of New Jerseyans to use gas appliances and prevent state regulators from implementing any intrusive and expensive bans," Pennacchio said in a statement. "We’re taking power back from the Trenton bureaucrats who want to control our lives."

The New Jersey proposal is the latest in the culture wars fight over gas stove bans, with states and the federal government weighing restrictions on the appliances as part of dual efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions and reduce childhood illnesses such as asthma.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and World Health Organization say gas-burning stoves are "unsafe" and linked to respiratory illness like asthma, cardiovascular problems, cancer, and other health ailments, especially when not used with proper ventilation. More than 40 million Americans use gas stoves, according to industry data.

So far, only California has taken steps to prohibit natural gas appliances by 2030 under new rules set in September by the state's Air Resources Board.

In New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul last week called on state lawmakers to set new requirements for buildings to have zero emissions and no gas stoves by 2028, and to ban the sale of new fossil-fuel-powered heating equipment by 2030. She cited a recent study which found gas stoves are responsible for 12.7% of childhood asthma cases nationwide.

If New York moves forward with a ban, the state would join California, which became the first state to seek to prohibit natural gas appliances after the California Air Resources Board unanimously approved a ban by 2030 in September.

In Congress, House Republicans filed a bill that would prohibit the Consumer Product Safety Commission from banning gas stoves after the federal agency suggested it was looking to restrict the household appliances to reduce health concerns.

"The Biden Administration’s clear consideration to ban an appliance used by more than 40 million homes and 76 percent of restaurants is worse than Green New Deal-style regulation run amok," U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif. said in a statement. "It is a preposterous overreach of federal power that would deny Americans a necessary product they use every day."

CPSC Commissioner Richard Trumka Jr., told media outlets this week that gas stoves are a "hidden hazard" and suggested that "any option is on the table" from tougher emissions rules to a complete federal ban.

A group of House Democrats, including Sen. Cory Booker, D-NJ, recently wrote a letter urging the federal agency to take a closer look at regulating gas stoves, which they said pose a risk to consumers by causing "indoor air pollution."

Old 01-23-2023, 11:31 AM

3,277 posts, read 1,756,696 times
Give up the gas stove ?

From my cold dead biscuits !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey