Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 05:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

What is the most commercially vibrant intersection of Elizabeth?

I never been to Etown. Does there exist nabes with varying socio economic backgrounds? What is the wealthiest section of Elizabeth? Well, ok, I have been to Ikea with my parents when I was a little kid. But that is it.

If someone were to visit, where do you tell them to go? Anywhere with nice restaurants? Is there a mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 12:17 PM

1,146 posts, read 862,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What is the most commercially vibrant intersection of Elizabeth?

I never been to Etown. Does there exist nabes with varying socio economic backgrounds? What is the wealthiest section of Elizabeth? Well, ok, I have been to Ikea with my parents when I was a little kid. But that is it.

If someone were to visit, where do you tell them to go? Anywhere with nice restaurants? Is there a mall?
Elizabeth is mostly black and hispanic (not too much diversity aside from that). The wealthiest and safest section of Elizabeth is Elmora (which is primarily a residential Jewish area). There is a fairly large downtown area (its central point would be Broad St and Jersey ave) where there are a lot of retail stores such as Unique Thrift, Shoppers World, Dollar Tree, etc.. The court house, main public library, and main Train Station are also all in that main downtown area. Although its a busy area, crime is fairly high there, so not a good place to walk around with your phone out or pull out any valuables. However, crime is even higher once you get closer to the Port area (which is where Jersey Gardens Mall is closely located). I don't recommend that mall.....lots of teenage thugs hang there looking for trouble. But dowtown is OK during the day if you stay alert and hide your valuables.

I am sure there may be a couple of nicer restaurants or good places to eat, but I cannot comment on that since there are so many better towns in rhe area to eat and drink. There is a traditional bar called Nugents in the northern section of Elizabeth (not downtown), but expensive for the area from what I heard. Never been there myself.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I knew very little about Elizabeth but I worked on the Goethals Bridge replacement project in the pre-construction/procurement stages. Some property was taken via eminent domain, mostly commercial. However, there was one street of single family homes they had to buy, and each month someone in the meeting would give a report on the purchase of the houses on Crackhouse Street. Finally I asked if that was REALLY the name of this road.

Turns out it was Krakow Street.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:54 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I knew very little about Elizabeth but I worked on the Goethals Bridge replacement project in the pre-construction/procurement stages. Some property was taken via eminent domain, mostly commercial. However, there was one street of single family homes they had to buy, and each month someone in the meeting would give a report on the purchase of the houses on Crackhouse Street. Finally I asked if that was REALLY the name of this road.

Turns out it was Krakow Street.
are you in civil engineering/urban planning/transit planning?

Old 01-19-2023, 01:22 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
are you in civil engineering/urban planning/transit planning?
I am retired, but yes, I worked in that world on the contract admin and procurement side all my life. Too much of a mathtard to become an engineer myself, but I had good writing skills and could translate engineerese into English

Old 01-20-2023, 07:51 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
The Big E, Elizabeth is still very steeped in HIStory,,,that's one of its saving graces..
In the earlier decades, 50's 60's 70's most all the major stores had presence before reestablishing in suburban mall locations.
In another lifetime in the 1600's it was the center of ALL.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
In another lifetime in the 1600's it was the center of ALL.
Care to explain?

Old 01-26-2023, 07:39 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Working and no time right now but it was settled in the 1600's and so on. One can probably search and find history.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:26 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
it was settled in the 1600's and so on. One can probably search and find history.
The Nathaniel Bonnell house was built in 1682.
The Belcher-Ogden house is the last-remaining home of a Colonial Governor.
Boxwood Hall was the home of Elias Boudinot, President of the Continental Congress.
Liberty Hall was the home of William Livingston, the first elected Governor of NJ, and all of these buildings can be toured.

The cemetery of the First Presbyterian Church contains the grave of "the fighting Reverend", James Caldwell, as well as the graves of a few hundred soldiers of the Continental Army.

When George Washington journeyed to NYC for his inaugural, his trip on horseback ended in Elizabeth, from whence he traveled by boat to Manhattan. Also, the town of Westfield was originally known as the "west fields of Elizabeth".

Yes, Elizabeth is steeped in history.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:41 PM

What portion of Etown is that opening montage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCFCNwu0Wk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey