Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 07:50 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, never in my life saw that bridge or heard of the slogan!

That's what happens when you live most of your life in Bergen County. You know things about Rockland and Orange Counties in New York, and Passaic and Sussex Counties in NJ, but the rest of Jersey is kind of a blur.

I knew we had a city called Cherry Hill, but I was in it for the first time maybe five years ago.
You've even been to Haddonfield, one of the three or four walkable towns down here. Nearly everything that I know about Northeastern New Jersey I've learned on City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 07:58 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Interesting quote from the article referenced above:

"Transit advocates, who unanimously support congestion pricing, counter that these politicians are being more responsive to the relatively affluent minority of their constituents who drive to Manhattan over the majority who commute by public transit or don’t work in Manhattan at all. A 2021 data analysis found only 1.6% of commuters from northern New Jersey drive into Manhattan’s congestion zone."

Old 03-02-2023, 07:04 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Interesting quote from the article referenced above:

"Transit advocates, who unanimously support congestion pricing, counter that these politicians are being more responsive to the relatively affluent minority of their constituents who drive to Manhattan over the majority who commute by public transit or don’t work in Manhattan at all. A 2021 data analysis found only 1.6% of commuters from northern New Jersey drive into Manhattan’s congestion zone."
A problem I have with congestion pricing is that it is really a disguise so that rich people - who can careless about some fees or tolls - can get the riff raff middle class folks off the roads and out of their way.

Old 03-02-2023, 09:18 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A problem I have with congestion pricing is that it is really a disguise so that rich people - who can careless about some fees or tolls - can get the riff raff middle class folks off the roads and out of their way.
Maybe so although I doubt that a lot of rich people now drive to Manhattan from NJ during rush hour and experience horrific traffic. Not sure what will happen once Congestion Pricing is hopefully implemented. But the objective of Congestion Pricing is to reduce traffic, reduce the pollution and raise money to enhance the antiquated public transportation systems that are suffering from decades of under investment. I enthusiastically agree with all the goals of the program.

But based on the survey quoted in the article of this thread, it sounds like most of the impacts of the program will be felt by the NYC outer borough commuters. Since there are no tolls on the East river bridges, it is actually cheaper to drive to Manhattan from Queens, Brooklyn, or Bronx then to take subway or bus. This situation actually encourages driving, a perverse situation that Congestion Pricing program will improve...

Old 03-02-2023, 10:25 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
A 2021 data analysis found only 1.6% of commuters from northern New Jersey drive into Manhattan’s congestion zone."
They did a survey and found that of those commuting into the Manhattan CBD, 11.6% of commuters drive alone and an additional 5.9% carpool. The 1.6% is derived from including commuters who don't go into Manhattan at all, including "commuters" who work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey