Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 08:34 AM

449 posts, read 251,738 times

Advertisements

Does it apply to North Wildwood (a separate municipality) as well? Or did WW and NWW collaborate on this ban since the actions of NWW's city council and executive are supposedly not binding on WW's (and vice versa)?

AFAIK the Crest (which lacks a boardwalk) is dry. Don't know about West Wildwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 09:18 AM

862 posts, read 976,698 times
Not sure but most public beaches ban alcohol, but enforcement varies greatly.

Some will search coolers or not allow coolers and some do not search coolers and tend to look the other way if drinks are covered by up by a koozie especially at beaches where they do not have issues with groups of young people or troublemakers and it's mostly families I have found, every town is different.

Old 06-02-2023, 09:42 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
I mean I think it’s always been technically not allowed. That said, it’s widely ignored.

Highly doubt we will catch any flack this summer. I would imagine enforcement will be exclusively among those in their teens and 20s, or those causing an issue.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:48 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
We all know the teens causing the trouble aren't on the beach during the day or know how to swim.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:31 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Not sure but most public beaches ban alcohol, but enforcement varies greatly.

Some will search coolers or not allow coolers and some do not search coolers and tend to look the other way if drinks are covered by up by a koozie especially at beaches where they do not have issues with groups of young people or troublemakers and it's mostly families I have found, every town is different.
I actually don’t think they’re going to search peoples coolers or harass people during the day on the beach. They are passing these laws in order to combat the social media organized nighttime beach parties where thousands of kids have been descending on the beaches at night for the last year or so. Lots of drinking, fighting, sex. So making this a law allows the police a reason to arrest or remove them from the beach. Ocean City was already dry, but they’ve put a 10:00 PM curfew on the beaches for the summer for the same reason, and created a new disturbing the peace ordinance that will give cops more options.

Old 06-03-2023, 09:36 AM

182 posts, read 136,617 times
Just makes it easier for us to remove the riff raff.

Old 06-04-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually don’t think they’re going to search peoples coolers or harass people during the day on the beach. They are passing these laws in order to combat the social media organized nighttime beach parties where thousands of kids have been descending on the beaches at night for the last year or so. Lots of drinking, fighting, sex. So making this a law allows the police a reason to arrest or remove them from the beach. Ocean City was already dry, but they’ve put a 10:00 PM curfew on the beaches for the summer for the same reason, and created a new disturbing the peace ordinance that will give cops more options.
There are towns at the shore that search coolers, or do not allow them at all. I went to Seagirt once and you cannot eat or drink anything on the beach at all, I mean nothing. You just havent been to places that do that but yes they exist. Lavalette allows small coolers but they will look to make sure that there's no booze before you can get on the beach.

Old 06-04-2023, 01:17 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
There are towns at the shore that search coolers, or do not allow them at all. I went to Seagirt once and you cannot eat or drink anything on the beach at all, I mean nothing. You just havent been to places that do that but yes they exist. Lavalette allows small coolers but they will look to make sure that there's no booze before you can get on the beach.

Isn't Sea Girt a teeny tiny little town? Searching people's coolers there is not going to be the same as searching people in a town that gets 250,000 tourists a summer and tens of thousands on the beach. There isn't just one place to get onto the beach, there are dozens of entrances spanning miles. Wildwood beach is free, so they don't have people posted at beach entrances.

But the main point of my post is, I don't think they want to search people's coolers. I don't think they care if a family comes to the beach and dad brings a few beers. I think they are only passing this in order to have another tool to fight the pop-up parties at night.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Isn't Sea Girt a teeny tiny little town? Searching people's coolers there is not going to be the same as searching people in a town that gets 250,000 tourists a summer and tens of thousands on the beach. There isn't just one place to get onto the beach, there are dozens of entrances spanning miles. Wildwood beach is free, so they don't have people posted at beach entrances.

But the main point of my post is, I don't think they want to search people's coolers. I don't think they care if a family comes to the beach and dad brings a few beers. I think they are only passing this in order to have another tool to fight the pop-up parties at night.
Some beaches actively enforce alcohol ban, yes....Lavalette,Seaside Heights, and Seagirt are places that do as examples....it's not only enforced on riff raff it's everyone, some kinda look the other way if beer is covered and you are not making a spectacle of yourself. Every town handles it differently.

Old 06-09-2023, 02:27 PM

182 posts, read 136,617 times
Can’t you people go without a drink for a few hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey