Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2023, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks, I've been coming down from No.Jersey/NYC for 35 years and am dreaming of a Galloway house, or just a condo at Woodland Village on Pitney Rd. Absecon, so I can go to that amazing place, Galloway Shoprite constantly, and meet the professionals over at AtlanticCare in case I need some maintenance.

Yesterday this slice of normalcy I could see on my visionboard quickly started to deteriorate when I heard on the local news that there is a Tick Alert, and I thought I'd reach out and ask the Atlantic County CityData Forum people, how rough is it in Atl County in regards to TICKS? How can you ward ticks away besides Off & long pants? How are your dogs? Does everyone have lyme disease? Do they spray toxic chemicals to limit ticks? Michigan was the initial homeland and although years were spent in a very similar exurban environment, I do not remember Ticks in MI, or fear of Ticks. Perhaps the deep freezes help keep them at bay?

When I went into Absecon, Northfield, Linwood, Somers Pt. etc., the denser suburban atmosphere (less trees) lowers the Tick issue, doesn't it? Personally, I like the forest vibe in Galloway because it reminds me of my homeland and after all the concrete up north, it seems like there are others that want to conserve the trees in Galloway Township as well. Any locals with South Jersey TICK advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 02:08 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Do you have pets? This is a big one. If so, get them a tick collar or put them on the monthly stuff.

For you, wear tick repellent on your clothes. I was in CNJ and got ticks every single day.

Avoid these type of plants and shrubbery: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4031...!1e1?entry=ttu

It all depends on what is 1500ft around you. Do they take care of your area? Do they spray? If you plan to buy a SFH on a lot, will you spray? Will you upkeep it nicely? There are so many factors that go into the prevalence of ticks.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,584,341 times
Ticks this year are the worst I have ever seen. I pulled another one off me today. I've never seen so many crawling around.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-23-2023, 07:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
I walk my dog down next to Barnegat Bay every morning. Every few days we're picking a tick or two off of us. We check ourselves daily. Ironic thing is we walk in the woods/forest in fla for 7 months and never had/have a tick. Only thing to worry about down there are gators, pythons, wild hogs, panthers and last and not least The Florida Man.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
I don’t think I know what a tick even looks like

Old 06-23-2023, 07:44 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
The larger numbers of ticks are a result of the mild winter we just had. If you go into the woods or tall grass areas, use deet or permethrin.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:27 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Ticks this year are the worst I have ever seen. I pulled another one off me today. I've never seen so many crawling around.
I pulled one of the back of my neck the other morning. I was visiting my sister in the Poconos the day before. She luves in the woods. Don't know if I carted him home and he was with me all night or what.

Old 06-24-2023, 06:12 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I don’t think I know what a tick even looks like
Typically a red ring that looks like a bullseye. Sometimes, not.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:39 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Typically a red ring that looks like a bullseye.
That describes the effect of a tick bite.
Hudson CoNJ wants to know what a tick itself looks like, and this should be helpful:
https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/gallery/index.html

One thing that is good to know is that a tick is rarely--if ever--able to transmit Lyme or other diseases in less than 36 hours, so a thorough showering/scrubbing of one's skin right after hiking should remove a tick before it becomes embedded, and--in the process--protect one from contracting a tick-spread disease.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I live in South Jersey and the ticks have been pretty bad this year. Even in a normal year, I only do garden work in long pants with the pants legs tucked into my socks, long sleeves, etc. And once in a while, I still find a tick (deer tick or the larger dog tick) on me! Galloway and nearby Port Republic are nice towns (Port Republic is smaller), although there has been a lot of development in that area since I went to school there. Keep in mind that they are in the Pine Barrens and although we haven't had wildfires like they have in California or Canada this year, wildfires do happen. In fact, the ecosystem of the Barrens depends on fires occurring periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey