Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 09:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,152,944 times

Advertisements

It seems likely that this photo is not taken during the speed measurement. It is taken AFTER the speed rule has been violated, either a few feet after, or a 100+ feet after, assuming a different car could not have poked in there.

Rules are rules. Having fines might be the only way the HOA can pay for the surveillance. Or, you could vote on whether it would be better to simply use public humiliation as the consequence (written up in newsletters, signs in your yard?), but raise the HOA rates for everyone to accommodate the cost of cameras, etc.

Or, simply inform the driver to remind him that there is a true speed limit needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 12:23 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,010,044 times
There’s no chance in hell that I would pay this.

A camera in someone’s house issuing fines? Lol ok.

Tell them to get bent. Tell THEM to take YOU to court. See how that goes for them.

Anyway… this is why HOAs are off the table for me, for the rest of my life. I rose to president of my last one specifically to ensure that no one else could do it. Left that place with massive savings and great contracts. In only two years it’s nothing but complaints from my friends still living there.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-16-2023, 12:40 PM

19,154 posts, read 25,390,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

Anyway… this is why HOAs are off the table for me, for the rest of my life. I rose to president of my last one specifically to ensure that no one else could do it.
+1, on all counts. Back in the '80s & early '90s, I lived in a condo community, and the number of petty people made living there... not pleasant. I eventually became the President of the Condo Association, and having to deal with those petty people on all sorts of truly trivial matters helped to convince me to get out of there, and to never again live in a condo community. As soon as I was able to do so, I bought a SFH, and I have never looked back.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:53 PM

15,809 posts, read 20,573,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Yeah I'm seriously thinking about challenging it because there is straight up NO speed measuring equipment. None. I know what LIDAR is, I know how speed cameras work.. this is a camera I think i traced it to someone's window. Maybe that is why it took a week to get two notices. Same time of day and always with no other car in sight....
Challenge the calibration of the unit. They should have paperwork stating it's been calibrated and accurate. Get the make and model of the unit and details on it's calibtation, when it was calibrated and by what agency. If not, then how can you know if the speed recorded is actual? Of course, you should hope it's not calibrated but there is the chance they have their ducks in a row on this. At least it allows you to get some info.

I lived under an HOA and had to deal with shennanigans like this all the time. I used to travel for work and gets fines and pictures of "me" illegally dumping stuff when i was off in another country. Person in the photo clearly did not look like me, was able to show i was out of country at the time AND i still had to battle just to get out of the fines. It was always the retired busybodies with nothing else to do. Never admitted fault just made it sound like they were giving me a pass.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:00 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Challenge the calibration of the unit. They should have paperwork stating it's been calibrated and accurate. Get the make and model of the unit and details on it's calibtation, when it was calibrated and by what agency. If not, then how can you know if the speed recorded is actual? Of course, you should hope it's not calibrated but there is the chance they have their ducks in a row on this. At least it allows you to get some info.

I lived under an HOA and had to deal with shennanigans like this all the time. I used to travel for work and gets fines and pictures of "me" illegally dumping stuff when i was off in another country. Person in the photo clearly did not look like me, was able to show i was out of country at the time AND i still had to battle just to get out of the fines. It was always the retired busybodies with nothing else to do. Never admitted fault just made it sound like they were giving me a pass.
It's all fun and games until the retired busybody shows up in a doctored S&M photograph on the HOA community bulletin board

Old 08-16-2023, 03:27 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,700,237 times
Quote:
As per usual, DannyHobkins is wrong and G1 is wrong here... This is not a speeding ticket received, not even electronically by police, it is a "rules violation," verbiage does even say "We have received".. speed cameras (video or photo speed enforcement, a la speed camera) are prohibited in New Jersey Motor Vehicle Code.

I'd really love to figure out your actual profession, G1. Doesn't matter but I can always count on you for the takes you give.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night . Thing is I 'm not the one crying on a message board about a speed camera ticket. You got caught pay the ticket and move on.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Leisure Village

And @Mathguy yeah I think it kind of has to be in someone's window. I've looked at least three times for where it should be... I DONT see it as you are absolutely right, such a high res picture like that, I know exactly where it should be. It's not on a power pole, it's not from overhead, the camera with a timestamp is REALLY clear as you can see, this 2nd notice was generated SAME time of day as the other one. I THINK it IS a Karen as you said, especially since it says LV has "received notice."

This doesn't fly under NJ Motor Vehicle Laws and even by HOA rules this is thin.

Hopefully, nobody else will move here. They think it's Brooklyn...

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/12/safe...ic-deaths.html

Pretty funny people get mad at this but refuse to accept that they were speeding.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Whatever makes you sleep better at night . Thing is I 'm not the one crying on a message board about a speed camera ticket. You got caught pay the ticket and move on.
So I know you like to be a hammerhead but let’s be real for a minute.

You see no issues with establishment of fining authority or evidentiary process here at all? If someone claiming to be from an HOA decides to fine you, you’d just pay it because, “hey, they said so”?

How about non-residents who drive through the neighborhood? By what authority does the person who controls this camera enjoy access to vehicle registration data?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-16-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So I know you like to be a hammerhead but let’s be real for a minute.

You see no issues with establishment of fining authority or evidentiary process here at all? If someone claiming to be from an HOA decides to fine you, you’d just pay it because, “hey, they said so”?

How about non-residents who drive through the neighborhood? By what authority does the person who controls this camera enjoy access to vehicle registration data?
Seriously no I don't . Yes I'm taking the OP history into account. Look, like HOAs or not and I don't they have that right. If (yes if) the people who live there don't like it then get the rules changed. Challenge , sure but it's leisure World not some small rinky dink neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2023, 04:03 PM

I'm admittedly unfamiliar with this development, and very anti-HOA. in the end, maybe he has to pay. I believe that the likelihood this fact pattern establishes a valid fine is very, very low.

Even the government (where applicable) has to use visible cameras for fining purposes. A camera that very likely is inside of a private residence with no supporting documentation/reviewable evidence does not pass the smell test.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: