Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 1,719 times

Advertisements

Looking for recommendations on where a single, 50-something, sans kids, may feel comfortable living in northern NJ. Preference is to be in walking distance of a small town. Having lived in big cities mostly, cramped small apartments w/o outdoor space, really enjoying nature and extra living space after recently moving to an apt. in eastern morris county.

However, I’ve come to notice that so many people ask where my husband or kids are, and when I say it’s just me, they’ll sigh and say something sympathetic, totally assuming i”m unhappy (i'm not). So, I just wondered, are there towns here (not Montclair $$$, or Jersey city too urban), somewhat affordable, where middle aged singles won’t feel like outcasts? It would be nice to put down roots but would also like to find other similar folks to socialize with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 12:03 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
I'd say that's going to be a challenge to find, as locales where someone like you would feel comfortable, are going to be urban.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
You could check out the New Brunswick area. It seems like there is something for everyone in the greater New Brunswick area.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:17 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
I assume you are in Madison Chatham Parsippany? Nice areas for the most part better than say the Brunswicks at least in my estimation. They have quite a few single groups for older people. Not a knock I'm considerably older than you. If you like where you are you might not need to move there are North Jersey singles groups that meet all the time. Or church something like that or a shared hobby type of thing. Bowling golf hiking knitting whatever. I would start there. With the internet you'll find something. Easier than the old days checking the newspapers.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:47 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelina53 View Post
Looking for recommendations on where a single, 50-something, sans kids, may feel comfortable living in northern NJ. Preference is to be in walking distance of a small town. Having lived in big cities mostly, cramped small apartments w/o outdoor space, really enjoying nature and extra living space after recently moving to an apt. in eastern morris county.

However, I’ve come to notice that so many people ask where my husband or kids are, and when I say it’s just me, they’ll sigh and say something sympathetic, totally assuming i”m unhappy (i'm not). So, I just wondered, are there towns here (not Montclair $$$, or Jersey city too urban), somewhat affordable, where middle aged singles won’t feel like outcasts? It would be nice to put down roots but would also like to find other similar folks to socialize with.
Does it have to be northern New Jersey? Someplace like Red Bank or Asbury Park would work for you.

Old 08-20-2023, 12:13 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
As a generality, there's no place, not even Manhattan, where not having kids and being middle aged is the norm.

That said, I'm in the same boat and northern NJ is better than, let's just say oh ... Kentucky.

In other words, people likely don;t care as much as you think they do. Not in northern NJ. Sheila Oliver didn't have a husband or kids.

Just pick a town you like.

Now ... if you cannot afford a house on your own and need to live in apartment, that is another challenge.

Because a lot of the quieter places up there don't have good apartment stock.

I might look at Mount Olive/Flanders. There's 'some' apartments there.

Last edited by jobaba; 08-20-2023 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-20-2023, 01:33 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
If you’re in your 50’s and you have kids, they’re probably already adults. So who cares? Live where you like, most people won’t judge or refuse to befriend you because you don’t have kids.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:07 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Morristown, Westfield ,Springfield( on the boarder of Millburn), Summit, Berkley Heights, New Providence

Old 08-21-2023, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Morristown, Westfield ,Springfield( on the boarder of Millburn), Summit, Berkley Heights, New Providence

Montclair is too expensive you need to whittle down your list considerably. OP never stated what they're willing to pay for living space but most of those are very high.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
As a generality, there's no place, not even Manhattan, where not having kids and being middle aged is the norm.

That said, I'm in the same boat and northern NJ is better than, let's just say oh ... Kentucky.

In other words, people likely don;t care as much as you think they do. Not in northern NJ. Sheila Oliver didn't have a husband or kids.

Just pick a town you like.

Now ... if you cannot afford a house on your own and need to live in apartment, that is another challenge.

Because a lot of the quieter places up there don't have good apartment stock.

I might look at Mount Olive/Flanders. There's 'some' apartments there.
Far from the crowd gotta be tough to get to any meetups if that's the direction. Parsippany is far enough out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey