Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 04:59 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

I would rather do ,........anything else.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:09 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Decades ago I had a full time job usually afternoon shift (still do) but when I wasn't working my regular job I used to drive for a delivery service all over NJ and even elsewhere. It was before internet times but often various legal papers, computer tapes, packages and boxes,,, all sorts of items like that. Between 7pm and 7am you would get I think 50% more.

That was a courier company and there were others. It was even before cellphones, you would have a pager and call them back from the nearest phone booth lol, on an 800 number and fill out the receipts and go off to the races. Many law firms also had us pickup paperwork and file them in State or County courthouses.

Cellphones were just starting and often on the way back from work I would pickup a master billing computer tape around 78/287 area and run that down to Princeton office for processing,,, 1980's you might get $75 to do that, another 50% if it was a round trip. No bennies, your car and gas etc.

Going up to Stamford CT was about $125 at night.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:34 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I've got my app open, I'm in Elizabeth (not sure whether to select Elizabeth or Newark market) and I'm ready to get some $$$$!
Were you asked to show ID when picking up an order? There's been a problem with fraudulent accounts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...dentity-2023-8

Old 09-02-2023, 01:59 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Never heard of this. What the heck even is it? Is it just another Fantuan food delivery app?

I yahoo-ed it and all I get is the band, LA WNBA team, or the beverage.
It is a “Spark Driver” in App Store and it says clearly before you could download that the persons need a smartphone, a car and insurance.

They call it “business” - as in “you start your own business”

Old 09-03-2023, 11:34 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
No, "lol" you don't get reimbursed expenses when you're an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR.

And you pick and chose which jobs you take.
What happens when more than one bids on same job? Or is it a first come first gets the job meaning you have to stare at the app 24/7 hoping your preferred job pops up, and you click first?

I did not know they are independent. Other poster put "private contractor" in quotations. That means is dubious meaning.

Are technically rideshare drivers also "independent" but then some of them tried to lawsuit Uber? I remember hearing about that.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...ctors-n1103936

Quote from article:
"The drivers allege that under California law they should have been considered employees, not contractors, at least since a 2018 ruling from the California Supreme Court. "

Old 09-03-2023, 11:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
It is a “Spark Driver” in App Store and it says clearly before you could download that the persons need a smartphone, a car and insurance.

They call it “business” - as in “you start your own business”
You start own business, but pay up to another business that nudged you into starting own business right?

Old 09-03-2023, 11:53 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
You start own business, but pay up to another business that nudged you into starting own business right?
I think we can all agree that the Walmart corporation knows how to make money. And, many of us would also likely agree that they have a history of doing this at the expense of their employees. But, because of the legal definitions that are involved, private contractors are not actually "employees" in many states, and this distinction makes for an even more profitable situation for the corporation.

Ergo, a win-win for Wally World.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:18 PM

350 posts, read 196,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
Additionally, independent contractors do not normally get any kind of fringe benefits, such as health insurance, sick days, and paid vacation days.

Is it possible that Walmart differs from that norm? Yes, it's possible, but somehow I doubt that it is any different for their private contractors. I would advise people to accept a job as as private contractor only if they already have health insurance from a different source.
No they can't be "different" because Independent Contractor is a VERY VERY strict IRS category and if you're caught even DIRECTING them how to do things, (other than your basic metrics) they lose their status and you are stuck making them employees.

Independent Contractors are operating their own businesses.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Everyone who doesn't understand business is so jokester.

Independent Contractor is a very specific IRS category. They are operating their own businesses.

No they are not PAYING Walmart to deliver their stuff.

At AT&T we coded 90% our entire billing system with them at divesture. $500 per day in 1980's RUSSIANS who spoke Cobol not so much Engish.You get contractors from an agency or they are totally self. They make that money because they pay every cent of their own expenses. Otherwise the IRS makes you put them on your payroll as employees.

You're only allowed to throw a contract at them like "Understant the system specs and code them correctly into the computer within 2 weeks. You can be let go at will for no reason" (of course everone knows this)

So of COURSE Uber drivers whining about "take home pay" vs easier to be an EMPLOYEE than a CONTRACTOR.

Hell you think they want to keep track of ALL MILEAGE EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES for business or personal? Just for starters as a BUSINESS OWNER.

Uber lost that case.

A.) Because friggin Leftist California
B.) Because drivers were clueless from the jump and a bunch of babies
C.) The companies didn't take seriously the court's ABC ruling (which was vaguebooking garbage)

One of the plaintiffs whined that neither Uber nor Lyft had communicated any information about the Dynamex ruling to drivers.

HAHAHAHA dude. Grow UP. No wonder they're comparing you to Child Labor Laws!

Old 09-03-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think we can all agree that the Walmart corporation knows how to make money. And, many of us would also likely agree that they have a history of doing this at the expense of their employees. But, because of the legal definitions that are involved, private contractors are not actually "employees" in many states, and this distinction makes for an even more profitable situation for the corporation.

Ergo, a win-win for Wally World.
Um. Independent Contractors have been that for DECADES. It has NOTHING TO DO with "states". It's a very strict IRS designation.

What's your point? (other than not understanding anything)

Do you have a cutsey snark name for AMAZON or Instacart?

Cuz that's all Walmart is doing. The EXACT SAME thing as Amazon and Instacart. And doing it BETTER.

Or is it just ok to smack THEM for no reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey