Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 04:50 PM

32,007 posts, read 27,183,135 times

Advertisements

This is going to get interesting!

https://nypost.com/2023/09/16/new-je...ch-on-sundays/

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/09/stat...-mornings.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-16-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 07:53 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,266,668 times
They should just require beach tags and make them One Million Dollars on Sunday.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:22 AM

10,602 posts, read 7,111,037 times
This has been a practice for 154 years, it seems they own the land too. Its being done as an attack on Christians, that's all.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:37 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,726,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This has been a practice for 154 years, it seems they own the land too. Its being done as an attack on Christians, that's all.
No one owns the Beach front in NJ( NJ Supreme Court made that call). Please explain the "attack on Christians".

Old 09-17-2023, 09:52 AM

10,602 posts, read 7,111,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No one owns the Beach front in NJ( NJ Supreme Court made that call). Please explain the "attack on Christians".
The town was founded by these people, they own the land, closing the boardwalk that they/own since the civil war. There's a likely violation of their first amendment here. If needed, will go to the Supreme court.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:35 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,726,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The town was founded by these people, they own the land, closing the boardwalk that they/own since the civil war. There's a likely violation of their first amendment here. If needed, will go to the Supreme court.
Amendment I
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

It might just be me but I see nothing saying anything about going to the Beach on Sunday.

I know about Ocean Grove. Other Towns have fought and lost to the State about Beach access and control. I know Spring Lake fought the State and lost, they tried to restrict the Beach access to Residents only and lost.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:46 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
It's silly to say it's an attack on Christians. Very few people are interested in attacking Christians for the sake of attacking Christians. I'm the moderator on the R&S forum here, though, so I know that's a popular claim by some, not all, Christians, that they are being "attacked", even when it's as simple as someone disagreeing with their opinions or beliefs.

I grew up in a fundamentalist (meaning Bible literalist) church as a child, and the mentality is put forth that non-believers are out to persecute and attack them, which may have been a reality at other times and places in history, but here where it's the majority religion that enjoys a great deal of influence on government and society and in fact has done most of the persecuting of other faiths, it's hardly a valid claim.

It's the threat of losing that sense of power that makes them feel attacked, I think.

I think silly arguments like "It's an attack on Christianity!" are best kept out of the situation and the focus put on more logical facets of the argument.

I myself am ambiguous about this. We went to Ocean Grove for a week on vacation when I was a child, renting a house, and it was a lot of fun. The no-driving-on-Sundays rule was in effect, and while it was different, it is also historically part of what gave the town its character because of its religious roots, and there is some value in respecting those roots and not turning everything into a cookie cutter sameness. It's hardly the only beach on the Jersey shore to choose from.

On the other hand, what on earth does being on the beach really have to do with the Christian faith? Is it not part of Creation to be enjoyed?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-17-2023 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-17-2023, 05:20 PM

19,172 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I think silly arguments like "It's an attack on Christianity!" are best kept out of the situation and the focus put on more logical facets of the argument...what on earth does being on the beach really have to do with the Christian faith?
You are correct, of course, but then again you're not trying to push divisive, propagandistic arguments.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:26 AM

19,091 posts, read 14,052,782 times
Aren’t there other privately owned beaches? Jenkinson’s closes the PPB beaches as soon as the season ends. People grumble but there’s never been a political fight over it as far as I recall. What’s the difference here? Is there an actual legal difference between the two ownership models?

There are two private beaches within walking distance of my mother’s house further south. One is fully gated, the other we use because the owner sort of abandoned it, but in the past badges were required and enforced.

I don’t care about the religious aspect either way, but if they own it, they own it.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2023, 06:58 AM

984 posts, read 736,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Aren’t there other privately owned beaches? Jenkinson’s closes the PPB beaches as soon as the season ends. People grumble but there’s never been a political fight over it as far as I recall. What’s the difference here? Is there an actual legal difference between the two ownership models?

There are two private beaches within walking distance of my mother’s house further south. One is fully gated, the other we use because the owner sort of abandoned it, but in the past badges were required and enforced.

I don’t care about the religious aspect either way, but if they own it, they own it.
I believe there actually is a legal fight with Jenkinson's right now about them blocking beach access.

https://brick.shorebeat.com/2023/09/...to-dep-battle/

I'm a strong believer that nobody should be able to control access to the shoreline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey