Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 10:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Inter library loan is a great service provided by libraries and few even charge mailing costs. The idea that public libraries are becoming corrupt is absurd.

Simply explain to the person in charge of ILLs that you returned the book undamaged. No need to go ballistic on this.
This is the timeframe to use in the explanation
You returned to book to your library—
There was NO CALL then to notify you about damage to the book
Ergo, YOU were not the person who damaged the book
Once you returned it, it because YOUR library’s job to return it w/o damage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 11:23 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,146,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My thought too. No one at your home library claimed any damage to it so any damage was caused by someone else, probably their own employees.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:13 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
THIS! You returned the book to the local library, right? If they noticed such significant damage to a returned book they would have done something about it...at least contacting the patron who borrowed it. They know who that was. Libraries are not so automated that no human eyes see their materials, no human hand touches them. They didn't contact you did they? Something happened to the book in transit.

OTOH, not sure I'd make such a federal case out of a damaged library book myself. I'd probably offer to replace it (that does not mean admitting to something I didn't do), call it my good deed for the day, and move on to more important things.

As for who still goes to libraries, my answer would be quite a few people. I've volunteered at various libraries (including one in NJ) for over 30 years. Yes, that included processing returned materials and checking them for damage before returning them to circulation. Libraries all have their busy times and their quiet times. At every library I've worked at, they can be so busy their parking lot is full, they restrict how long patrons can use their computers because others are waiting to use them, newer popular lending materials have waiting lists, etc. Libraries offer a lot more than books. They offer rotating enhanced materials for the sight impaired, music, video and audio recordings, current periodicals and newspapers, house historical archives on different media, permanent reference materials, they sponsor all sorts of language, reading and writing programs for kids and special needs adults, the staff offers archival assistance for researchers, offer computer skills training and support, copying and printing services, free access to the web, meeting rooms for local civic groups, on and on.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-05-2023 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 12:20 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I don't want to say which public library, but I recently returned a book on time that I borrowed through inter library loan (they shipped book from another library to mine for me to borrow). Well, once book made it to the original library, I received a phone call from my local library that the OTHER library is claiming the book is completely damaged/water logged. I know for a fact I returned the book in great condition and I told them this. I also suggested perhaps it was damaged during shipping to the other library.

My local library told me they are now getting the book back and will call me to come over to discuss this so-called damage in person and negotiate a solution. What are your suggestions for when I do go in person? I feel I should not have to give them a penny and I feel extorted! Any suggestions on how I can work this out? What are the consequences if they do indeed fine me and I refuse to pay? Could I contact the Mayor and would he even care or get involved? This whole thing is over a $15 book (according to its Amazon price), but who knows how much of a fine they will want to extort from me? My friends tell me libraries are becoming more corrupt now and do this crap more often in order to stay afloat because hardly anyone uses them anymore.
The price will be the publishers price not Amazon or any other sellers price. You can usually find the publishers price on Amazon crossed out above their sale price.

That said I don't think your library has a leg to stand on. They took the book back and packed it up for shipping and didn't notice water damage? Isn't it their responsibility to check for damage before shipping it back?

That said if you do return books after hours in their drop box, put them in a plastic bag and seal the bag to prevent any damage.

Good luck. I think you should win this one unless the book isn't as badly damaged as the other library states such that your library could possibly have not noticed it. There is a difference between one or two pages having been damaged and "water logged".

Old 11-05-2023, 12:29 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
People make mistakes (not talking about the OP here). This damage likely happened in shipping back.

I was once accused by a local library (medium size city) of not returning a book that I knew I returned.
I went into the library, went to the shelf, found the book and brought it to the front desk.
I politely explained they accused me of not returning it and yet here it was (smiling, nice tone of voice.)
I got no apology at all or thanks for finding it.

I certainly would not pay for damage to a book I knew I returned in good condition.
Poster "loves to read" had the perfect answer above. Any damage should have been noticed when you returned the book to your branch. Case closed.

I'm a HUGE user of the library, all my life. Rare that I have problems but again, people make mistakes.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:57 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I don't want to say which public library, but I recently returned a book on time that I borrowed through inter library loan (they shipped book from another library to mine for me to borrow). Well, once book made it to the original library, I received a phone call from my local library that the OTHER library is claiming the book is completely damaged/water logged. I know for a fact I returned the book in great condition and I told them this. I also suggested perhaps it was damaged during shipping to the other library.

My local library told me they are now getting the book back and will call me to come over to discuss this so-called damage in person and negotiate a solution. What are your suggestions for when I do go in person? I feel I should not have to give them a penny and I feel extorted! Any suggestions on how I can work this out? What are the consequences if they do indeed fine me and I refuse to pay? Could I contact the Mayor and would he even care or get involved? This whole thing is over a $15 book (according to its Amazon price), but who knows how much of a fine they will want to extort from me? My friends tell me libraries are becoming more corrupt now and do this crap more often in order to stay afloat because hardly anyone uses them anymore.

I think your library would have called when they got the book from you, packing it for transit. Why would they ship a damaged book?

Good luck. Thankfully they don't charge these high fees these days like when I was a kid in the 70's.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Another thought is that if you used an outside book return there could have been water that got in it from rain or vandalism
Even so—your library picked the book up from that depository
The damage would have been noticible right away
YOU would have been contacted before they ever returned it to the its home library

They may try to pass the charge for damages off to you but really doesn’t make logical sense that YOUR library would have returned a damaged book if it came to them in that condition

Be calm but solid in your refusal

Old 11-05-2023, 04:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Who still goes to libraries?
Why don't you stop in one and find out? There are always people at my local library.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:
Another thought is that if you used an outside book return there could have been water that got in it from rain or vandalism
Even so—your library picked the book up from that depository
The damage would have been noticible right away
YOU would have been contacted before they ever returned it to the its home library

They may try to pass the charge for damages off to you but really doesn’t make logical sense that YOUR library would have returned a damaged book if it came to them in that condition

Be calm but solid in your refusal
We really can't know if a person collecting/transporting books would or would not take responsibility for flagging damaged materials. If the amount is really only $15, I would explain that I didn't damage the book, but that I am a supporter of the library and if it would settle the issue, I would be happy to DONATE $15.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:13 PM

130,122 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
We really can't know if a person collecting/transporting books would or would not take responsibility for flagging damaged materials. If the amount is really only $15, I would explain that I didn't damage the book, but that I am a supporter of the library and if it would settle the issue, I would be happy to DONATE $15.
True I would just pay it, than have the headache of arguing over it, I'd look at it as a library donation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey