Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 05:42 AM

5 posts, read 11,091 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Could you recommend places to live for a family with elementary age kiddo?

I need to transfer to the NYC office for work (near SOHO/Tribeca). Looking for recommendations on where to live in New Jersey. I am moving from Florida. (I know…”stay in FL” is sadly not an option right now).

It will be my husband, my daughter (8 years old), my husky pup and myself. Need access to good tuition-free schools (with accommodations for special needs). A diverse town would be ideal. Access to swim teams (for the kid!) and Catholic churches. Bonus for parks/walking trails, etc. (Being from FL, we save money by doing outdoor activities). We would like to keep one car so free parking would be a bonus.

Ideally, we would like to buy a house but recognize that due to costs, we might need to stay in a condo/townhome. Our budget is roughly $500k. Our plan is to rent for a couple of months while we “learn” the area. On that note, how expensive are home insurance and property taxes?Also, are there any areas with new construction?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 06:17 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
$500k is low, I don't know if you can find a town that checks all the boxes for you at that price.

New Jersey has the highest property taxes in the nation. So a $500k home will cost you about 10-15k a year in property taxes. Just an FYI.

Also depending on where you live commuter costs (Train, bus, etc) will run you about $200-450+ a month, depending on where you live.

Here are some options:
Dumont: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...37872934_zpid/
New Milford: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...37969951_zpid/ But flood insurance will be an extra 300-500/m
Elmwood Park: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...37876940_zpid/

... now we can go a little further south, save a bit of money on our taxes, but the commuting costs jump up to that 350-450 range depending on how you plan on getting to work.
East Brunswick: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...39059153_zpid/
Somerset: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...63717725_zpid/

or out west
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...39466329_zpid/ Flanders

You're best option is somewhere in Northern Monmouth/Middlesex County or a place like Dumont/Bergenfield in Bergen County. I recommend living close to an NJ Transit bus/rail stop. If you can avoid Coach USA, please do... they can be as high as $500 a month for a monthly bus trip in Monmouth County.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 02-28-2024 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 06:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Suggest towns in Monmouth County like Hazlet Township, Matawan, Keansburg and Middletown. Commute to NYC by North Jersey Coast Line train, bus or Seastreak Ferry. Public schools are pretty good overall in that area.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:54 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Just to answer some questions:

1. Property taxes are going to be expensive everywhere. However, its going to differ in each town, and how they tax you. On a 500k house expect anywhere from $5k-$20k in property taxes.
2. If you're transferring a salary, don't forget NJ has a ~10% state income tax, and NYC will be even more.
3. In the NYC centric housing market, there are no new house builds, developments for single family homes. There are a lot of brand new condos, and 'luxury' apartment rentals everywhere.
4. I don't see townhomes as any type of bargain vs. single family homes, in fact after factoring some ridiculous HOA fees they might be more.
5. Home insurance is going to be more reasonable in NJ.
6. Diversity and a good swim team made me laugh. NJ is pretty diverse in general, but what kind of diversity are you looking for? Some towns do have some more centric based on race and background, black, indian, korean, hispanic, etc.
7. Someone mentioned commuter train costs 250-450..thats the very low end (first few stops outside of the tunnel), it can reach $600+ in some areas for a monthly pass.
8. There is no shortage of Catholic churches in the NJ. Probably more Catholic churches in areas settled by more Italian and Irish which are Bergen and Essex counties but really anywhere you live will likely have one 10+ minutes from your home.
9. Unsure if you have ever done the commute into NYC, its unpleasant. Will need to figure out your door to door commute time, instead of how long you will be on a train. A bad commute 5 days a week will absorb as much as energy as the job itself.

I hope they are making it worth your while to come up here. Oh yeah, we have had only 1 day with full sun since early November here.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 02-28-2024 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 04:58 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramsr View Post
Hi there!

Could you recommend places to live for a family with elementary age kiddo?

I need to transfer to the NYC office for work (near SOHO/Tribeca). Looking for recommendations on where to live in New Jersey. I am moving from Florida. (I know…”stay in FL” is sadly not an option right now).

It will be my husband, my daughter (8 years old), my husky pup and myself. Need access to good tuition-free schools (with accommodations for special needs). A diverse town would be ideal. Access to swim teams (for the kid!) and Catholic churches. Bonus for parks/walking trails, etc. (Being from FL, we save money by doing outdoor activities). We would like to keep one car so free parking would be a bonus.

Ideally, we would like to buy a house but recognize that due to costs, we might need to stay in a condo/townhome. Our budget is roughly $500k. Our plan is to rent for a couple of months while we “learn” the area. On that note, how expensive are home insurance and property taxes?Also, are there any areas with new construction?

Thanks in advance!
Edison

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rice-na-500000

Old 02-29-2024, 10:35 AM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Suggest towns in Monmouth County like Hazlet Township, Matawan, Keansburg and Middletown. Commute to NYC by North Jersey Coast Line train, bus or Seastreak Ferry. Public schools are pretty good overall in that area.
500K good luck for anything big enough for a family of four. Like someone already said I hope they're making it worth your while. NJ is nice if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey