Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

1,151 posts, read 863,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
A school day is about 6.5 hours plus breaks, so they are working about 5 - 5.5 hours.
Where I work, we need to be there at 7:30am and get out a little after 3pm. It is a 7.5 hour day. Also it involves a lot more than just popping in a movie. Last week they threw me into a 2nd grade class of 23 children. Try having the patience for that. Not as easy as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:29 AM

361 posts, read 285,921 times
They do not receive benefits because the New Jersey Teacher's Association represents only teachers. They negotiate contracts, salary and benefits on the behalf of (again), teachers. subs are not teachers. The union does not represent support staff, ie: substitutes. It's really not that difficult to understand. Perhaps you'd like to champion on the behalf of subs to organize their own union?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Why shouldn't they receive benefits? They are school employees and without them, there would not be enough adults to supervise the students and run a school properly. In my opinion, it is a much more respected job than working in McDonalds or a cashier at Walmart (yet many of those jobs provide benefits). I think EVERY school employee should be treated with the highest respect considering what they have to deal with in today's education climate and be paid way above min wage with benefits. It is nice to see some districts like Maplewood are finally realizing this. No, this should not cause tax increases if they weed out all the wasted admins such as County Superintendants and Asst Superintendants. In fact if many smaller school districts were merged, taxes should be lowered hypothetically speaking if it wasnt for all the corruption in this state.

Old Today, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
They do not receive benefits because the New Jersey Teacher's Association represents only teachers. They negotiate contracts, salary and benefits on the behalf of (again), teachers. subs are not teachers. The union does not represent support staff, ie: substitutes. It's really not that difficult to understand. Perhaps you'd like to champion on the behalf of subs to organize their own union?
First off, many subs are "certified teachers". Therefore, many subs are indeed Teachers. I know the NJEA Union does not represent subs, however the Governor could always issue an executive order simply requiring all districts to offer optional benefits to ALL school employees. FYI you do not have to work a "Union Job" to have the option for benefits.

Old Today, 08:53 AM

50,837 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
First off, many subs are "certified teachers". Therefore, many subs are indeed Teachers. I know the NJEA Union does not represent subs, however the Governor could always issue an executive order simply requiring all districts to offer optional benefits to ALL school employees. FYI you do not have to work a "Union Job" to have the option for benefits.

They're not full time employees. They aren't even part time employees, they are closer to per diem employment status. Many of them work for agencies now, too, rather than the district, just like bus drivers today work for bus companies contracted by the district. They should get benefits from those companies. If a sub works 25 days a year, you think they should get year round benefits courtesy of taxpayers?

Old Today, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They're not full time employees. They aren't even part time employees, they are closer to per diem employment status. Many of them work for agencies now, too, rather than the district, just like bus drivers today work for bus companies contracted by the district. They should get benefits from those companies. If a sub works 25 days a year, you think they should get year round benefits courtesy of taxpayers?
This you are correct about. In fact, I believe all subs are per diem employees. Yes, many of the sub agencies do offer benefits to substitutes. (Although from what I hear those optional benefits are basically unaffordable). I also agree that only REGULAR subs (those who actually work 4-5 days per week) should be offered affordable benefits (primarily health insurance). No, if a sub only chooses to work 25 days per year, they should not be given benefits. My argument is based on regular building subs.

Old Today, 09:43 AM

23,577 posts, read 17,249,899 times
Quote:
Good luck with that cause if you think its just "babysitting" you wouldnt last a week. I suggest going on the substitute teacher Reddit forum and read all about the crap they have to deal with.
Seems the problem is not the amount of pay deserved, the issue is diagnostic of the festering EDU swamp which creates the problems which the teachers must legally and physically endure.

Argue about hazard pay and then do nothing about the mine field.

Old Today, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Seems the problem is not the amount of pay deserved, the issue is diagnostic of the festering EDU swamp which creates the problems which the teachers must legally and physically endure.

Argue about hazard pay and then do nothing about the mine field.
In my opinion, anyone who works for a school should make enough money to survive on. Its a far step above pouring coffee at Starbucks or flipping burgers at McDonalds. And yes, there is huge corruption going on in the "mine field" preventing all school employees to at least make a decent liveable wage. I would not even consider $175/day decent liveable wage, but at least its a start in the right direction and if Maplewood can do it, every district can based on how high property taxes already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: