Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,346 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My wife and I are moving from colorado to New Jersey and need some ideas of where to look for a home. We need to be close to trains to commute into manhattan for work and would like to keep commute under an hr door to door. We have looked in Jersey city, Hoboken but we don’t want the fast pace life any longer. Nicer neighborhood close to restaurants and bars for a cocktail. Union has been a solid area but inventory seems to be low everywhere right now. Any other locations/ideas. Would love a single family as we have been in condos and townhomes most our time together!
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 12:51 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milano28 View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are moving from colorado to New Jersey and need some ideas of where to look for a home. We need to be close to trains to commute into manhattan for work and would like to keep commute under an hr door to door. We have looked in Jersey city, Hoboken but we don’t want the fast pace life any longer. Nicer neighborhood close to restaurants and bars for a cocktail. Union has been a solid area but inventory seems to be low everywhere right now. Any other locations/ideas. Would love a single family as we have been in condos and townhomes most our time together!
TIA
Metuchen

Old 03-28-2024, 01:23 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I would certainly rent or spend time out NJ before buying. Towns in NJ are apples and oranges, and not apples to apples.

The good news is that you can get into Manhattan, really from any town via train or bus. What part of the City are you working?

Just as a general rule of thumb, the farther you get away from the City the nicer the neighborhood and less gritty it gets.

Restaurants and bars are really everywhere, so pretty much anywhere you go you will have plenty of choices.

Union is a bit more of a working class town, but is convenient because many roads intersect through there.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:59 PM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Your housing price range would help.

A one hour door to door will be very difficult. There are many variables including where you need to go in Manhattan. It might take 7-12 minutes from when your train stops in NY Penn Station to get to the street.
One town that could work is Rutherford.

Here is an older train travel time map that can help give you a rough idea:
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...&region=Footer

The buses go to the NY Port Authority Bus Terminal.
https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals...authority.html

If you are working downtown you could use the PATH or a Ferry
https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/index.html
https://www.panynj.gov/port-authorit...r/ferries.html

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:25 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Your housing price range would help.

A one hour door to door will be very difficult. There are many variables including where you need to go in Manhattan. It might take 7-12 minutes from when your train stops in NY Penn Station to get to the street.
One town that could work is Rutherford.

Here is an older train travel time map that can help give you a rough idea:
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...&region=Footer

The buses go to the NY Port Authority Bus Terminal.
https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals...authority.html

If you are working downtown you could use the PATH or a Ferry
https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/index.html
https://www.panynj.gov/port-authorit...r/ferries.html

Good luck.
I have to agree, the one-hour, door to door is really unrealistic for most. Once you add up the time it takes you to get off the train to your job, and the time it takes you to get from your home to the train/bus station, by all accounts that's likely already 1 hour of time right there.

The easy part of the commute is the travel time sitting on the train/bus, where its nap time. For many, its worth having 20 minutes more commute time further out the rail line to live in a better area. 2 hours is really the standard door-to-door commute time for most (including people who live in PA that sometimes have shorter commutes than those in NJ).

Old 03-29-2024, 07:55 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,417,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milano28 View Post
Hello all,
TIA
Chiming in as a former commuter that a rigid hour cap on your commute time will limit your choices dramatically. Realistically a 90-minute commute opens many more doors, especially if your working hours are at all flexible. And a lot depends on where exactly you'll be working. My commute time--by bus from Parsippany--could vary from 45 minutes to two hours depending on when I left home or office. The "normal" trip was 60-75 minutes during rush hour; door-to-door easily done in 90 minutes because I worked close to Port Authority.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
we will pray for you

Old 03-29-2024, 07:22 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
we will pray for you
People in Idaho are upset about some of the people from Colorado moving there. OP I'm sure you're a nice sort but moving to NJ from Co. is a step up. At least for now.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:36 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
If you do not want the city enviroment with no parking ect, go a little further out like Rutherford.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
More info is needed—

Budget?
Do schools Matter?
Where in Manhattan will you be working?
How long are you willing to commute?

Summit is beautiful— great restaurants, on the train, excellent schools
Cranford/Westfield— beautiful area, restaurants, train or bus, great schools
Roselle Park— cute area, downtown needs work, affordable, schools are mediocre very affordable
Maplewood/South Orange — hip, diverse and love this area. Taxes are insane.

If you want areas more like Colorado, go further west in NJ— the commute will be significantly longer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey