Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 5,300 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is considering moving to hopewell township/pennington NJ? My job is in Princeton and we would love to live in Princeton but it's way out of our budget.

We wanted to know more about hopewell township/pennington:
- how are the public schools? how the focus on studies vs. extra curriculars?
- are there enough activities/classes nearby for kids?
- are the families living there already tight-knit or does it have families who are also new to the area?
- what are the attitudes towards non-white immigrants?
- are there any cases of bullying in schools and what is the general attitude of schools towards bullying?
- what type of people living here? is there a sense of community or do people prefer to be aloof?
- how are public services like parks, swimming pools, etc?
- how's the commute to bridgewater nj or edison nj?
- what type of family would be happy living in hopewell township/pennington NJ? as in what are the trade-offs of living here?

Thanks to all the experts on this forum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,275,145 times
if you can;t make it in Hopewell, you can;t make it anywhere in NJ.

Pennington, titusville, Trenton, Robbinsville and Montgomery. montgomery excellent schools.

No clue why the non white nonsense, this is one of the most integrated states in the union.

Monolithic assessment of a community is invalid unless you desire to move into some ethnic enclave.

forget Edison commute, Bridgewater/Hillsborough about 25 to 30 minutes on 206 or other back roads.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

78 posts, read 109,125 times
Schools are great, but there are some pricey towns nearby with even better schools (Montgomery, Princeton, etc). Plenty of activities for kids. There are a mix of people from various cultures, so being non-white won't be an issue.

Bridgewater commute is pretty easy. You could take Rt 31 > 202 to Bridgewater. Edison would probably add another 20 mins or so.

Most of Hopewell Township is fairly rural. There is a small downtown area in Hopewell Boro and in Pennington. You'd have to travel to Princeton, New Hope or Flemington for shopping/restaurants/etc.

Overall its a great place to raise a family.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM

863 posts, read 1,341,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszta View Post
Hello,

My family is considering moving to hopewell township/pennington NJ? My job is in Princeton and we would love to live in Princeton but it's way out of our budget.

- how are the public schools? how the focus on studies vs. extra curriculars?
- are there enough activities/classes nearby for kids?
- are the families living there already tight-knit or does it have families who are also new to the area?
- what are the attitudes towards non-white immigrants?
- are there any cases of bullying in schools and what is the general attitude of schools towards bullying?
- what type of people living here? is there a sense of community or do people prefer to be aloof?
- how are public services like parks, swimming pools, etc?
- how's the commute to bridgewater nj or edison nj?
- what type of family would be happy living in hopewell township/pennington NJ? as in what are the trade-offs of living here?

Thanks to all the experts on this forum!!
Hopewell is mostly white, so according to your mindset, everyone here must hate non-white immigrants. Get over yourself. No one in NJ cares what race you are. But you and all the other non-white immigrants on here seem to care quite a lot about living with their own race. Do you have any self awareness at all? So tiresome.

Old Today, 09:07 AM

19,154 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
No one in NJ cares what race you are.
That is a rather bold claim. Have you spoken with, or corresponded with, everyone in NJ?

Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is a rather bold claim. Have you spoken with, or corresponded with, everyone in NJ?
If there was a prevalent issue we would know about it. It’s more prevalent to see immigrants want to live with their own people - I don’t care if they do (although I think it demonstrates more xenophobia on their part, which is ironic in many different ways), but it gets so repetitive on the forum. The NJ forum should just pin a post of which towns have the most Indian and Asian populations. Spare the rest of us from having to repeat the same info over and over.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

I guess you're more fortunate than some members of NJ's Asian community, who have experienced discrimination and actual violence toward them as a result of their race.

https://newjerseymonitor.com/2021/09...ns-of-slowing/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ks/6964058002/

https://www.njoag.gov/2021-was-a-rec...in-new-jersey/

Old Today, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I guess you're more fortunate than some members of NJ's Asian community, who have experienced discrimination and actual violence toward them as a result of their race.

https://newjerseymonitor.com/2021/09...ns-of-slowing/

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ks/6964058002/

https://www.njoag.gov/2021-was-a-rec...in-new-jersey/
Individuals, not towns of people. Any town could have one of those psychos, so asking about it is pointless here. Sure, did I use some hyperbole, yes, but the point still stands that there are no towns where open prejudice occurs. It’s just a dumb question.

Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Sure, did I use some hyperbole
Rather than "some" hyperbole, I think that you engaged in massive hyperbole when you stated that...

Quote:
No one in NJ cares what race you are.
I agree with you that the problem is the result of (hopefully) a few isolated psychos, but to claim that nobody in the state harbors racist feelings is just a bit... over the top.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

8,106 posts, read 7,475,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszta View Post
Hello,

I'm not an expert, but I know Hopewell/Pennington from passing through on Route 31 over many decades. It's a very wealthy area (even the Burger King on 31 displays a muted-color sign), and as such, non-white immigrants will be welcomed with open arms. The open arms may be superficial, but take it and run with it. And don't try it in a poor, inner-city area. I grew up in another fairly wealthy part of NJ that borders the ghetto, and I know what the attitudes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey