Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which NJ city has the worst Urban Decay?
Newark 12 9.68%
Camden 95 76.61%
Paterson 10 8.06%
Trenton 4 3.23%
Atlantic City 3 2.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 PM

11 posts, read 84,357 times

Advertisements

Hey All..... This is a brand new thread made specifically to display pictures of the Urban Decay in New Jersey (Not to say that NJ is not mostly beautiful). Feel free to display the worst examples of run down and abandoned places you know of. Everyone SAYS Newark is bad, but how about showing it? This is not restricted to Newark either; pictures of Camden, Trenton, Paterson, Irvington, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, The Oranges, etc. are encouraged.

If you don't have any pictures of urban decay, go into one of the "ghettos" you live nearest to and snap a few places that really stand out to you.... don't be shy.
My last post "Worst in NJ-picture thread" has been met with some criticism and I think I need to give it another go.... But first I need to clarify some things. I have recieved numerous comments saying things like "This is a bad idea and that people taking these pictures are only asking for trouble." I'm not telling anyone to put their lives in danger or do anything stupid like go into a known crackhouse and snap pics and get stabbed. If you know a place where there's a good example of Urban Decay or happen to drive through a place and see something, snap a pic and share it.

I've also heard "It's terrible to display this kind of stuff and exploit these bad areas." Just so everyone knows, the purpose of this is not to "point and laugh" at the misfortune of these. This is purely sharing. I think urban decay is fascinating and examples of abandoned places are interesting, as do many others.

And for the "How about showing the beautiful places in NJ instead!!" people.... As I stated "NJ is mostly beautiful," and there are already many photo galleries of beautiful places, but no threads like this.
*Also, any urban decay from anywhere in NJ is allowed. If there's an abandoned building or structure in your home town, feel free to share it. It doesn't have to be a major city.

Just be sure to put a caption of where the pic is and a small bio if necessary.... I'll start it off.....

This is Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, NJ. This is an abandoned historic landmark, and was used for the "Negro League" for baseball back in the 1930s, among a few other sports. It has since been abandoned and just sits and deteriorates...(more pics below)....

Here's the original pic from the last thread: An abandoned Building in Newark, NJ

**Try not to clutter the thread with posts that don't have pictures. If you have something to say, that's fine but just keep it brief... this is not an essay writing contest.**

*And by the way, all of my posts (New Jersey City) will be in red, so you can easily identify what's mine.

HAPPY POSTING
Attached Thumbnails
NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-2.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-3.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-4.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-6.jpg  

NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-7.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-8.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-hinchliffe-9.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:40 AM

53 posts, read 178,542 times
there were worse in the paterson. but, the area was redeveloped. you might still see some run down houses and buildings. but the majority of it is gone.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
Cool pics. Amazingly, Camden is far worse than all these places. Doesn't look any better than a third world country if you really get down to it.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

127 posts, read 310,923 times
Worst example I could come up with - City Hall, Newark, NJ

Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Kelly

That building looks like it's still in half way decent shape where as parts of Camden you would think you were in Kabul

Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 AM

127 posts, read 310,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Kelly

That building looks like it's still in half way decent shape where as parts of Camden you would think you were in Kabul
That building is in great shape. The OP asked for the WORST example of urban decay. So a building in good shape is a bad example or even the worst example of urban decay. If he asked for a GOOD example of urban decay then I would put a pic of Camden looking like Kabul, but he asked for a BAD example.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,932,541 times
Camden....
Attached Thumbnails
NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-762926104_791310d450.jpg   NJ Urban Decay - Picture Thread-267926638_f63a1faae0.jpg  

Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Camden....
That looks just like Baltimore or even parts of Philly.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,990 times
thats amazing, something like that can exist in NJ

Old 11-11-2009, 02:14 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,629 times
http://www.greatrealtyusa.com/content/photo/4464-3.jpg

^One of the old project buildings on Irvine Turner in NWK

http://www.ofb.net/~epstein/sl/04/20040113-tower.jpg

^An abandoned factory along the Passaic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey