Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

I know not all of Berlin goes to Eastern, but I'm not 100% sure on how the division is split up. I knew someone who lived in "West Berlin" and he went to Overbrook.

If you just search "Berlin NJ" on wikipedia, you get Berlin Borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I'm over in Williamstown and like it down here.
There is a lot of construction where I am; both housing & shopping. As a location to be close to everything, I love it.
I drive through Berlin when I go to Route 73 but don't know anything about it.
One town to stay away from is Winslow.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Like others have stated, Berlin is two different towns; Berlin Borough and Berlin Township. The only real difference is the school district. In that regard Berlin Borough is far and away the better of the two. Berlin Borough's elementary school (K-8) is very highly rated and regarded. It is on par to the schools in many other "better" towns. Berlin Borough also goes to Eastern Regional in Voorhees. While Eatern Regional has it's own issues, it's far better than Overbrook.

I would personally consider living in Berlin, but it would have to be in Berlin Borough for the schools. There is no way to exactly tell which is which as they share the same zip code. I'm sure there are streets that define the area, but the best way I found was to just look at the school district when looking at houses there. Additionally you will see a large disparity in housing values between Berlin Borough and Berlin Township. Those better schools count for something.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Like others have stated, Berlin is two different towns; Berlin Borough and Berlin Township. The only real difference is the school district. In that regard Berlin Borough is far and away the better of the two. Berlin Borough's elementary school (K-8) is very highly rated and regarded. It is on par to the schools in many other "better" towns. Berlin Borough also goes to Eastern Regional in Voorhees. While Eatern Regional has it's own issues, it's far better than Overbrook.

I would personally consider living in Berlin, but it would have to be in Berlin Borough for the schools. There is no way to exactly tell which is which as they share the same zip code. I'm sure there are streets that define the area, but the best way I found was to just look at the school district when looking at houses there. Additionally you will see a large disparity in housing values between Berlin Borough and Berlin Township. Those better schools count for something.
Yeah this kinda sums it up from what I've heard too. The boro is pretty solid, but the township has some sketchy parts. You have Lindenwold and Lawnside close by which are very impoverished, as well as Clementon which I know nothing about, but have read here that it is bad.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,752 times
Thanks for the info folks, i'm still researching.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Eastern has about 2200 kids, not 4000

Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 27,065 times
How would people here rate West Berlin? I am looking there again and it seems to be both affordable and a nice town to raise our children (ages 2 and 3), as well as commutable to North Philadelphia (Northern Liberties area) where I work. Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by States Rights View Post
How would people here rate West Berlin? I am looking there again and it seems to be both affordable and a nice town to raise our children (ages 2 and 3), as well as commutable to North Philadelphia (Northern Liberties area) where I work. Any thoughts?
West Berlin is an unincorporated census area within Berlin Twp. Some areas of NJ are designated with different names, but are part of a larger township, this is the case here.

West Berlin itself lies to the west of Berlin Borough and sits in the "V" formed by Route 73 and Route 30. Any information about this area is basically identical to what was already given about Berlin Township. The school district for elementary is average, but the high school is undesirable.

Also, as an FYI, the commute from Berlin to Northern Liberties in Philadelphia is not as easy as it may seem. You are probably looking at about an hour or more driving during the rush hour.

You should ask the mod to move this to the South Jersey subforum as that is where the Berlin area is located, you may get more answers. Also, if you are willing to share budget and wants/needs we may be able to suggest more towns for your consideration.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:52 PM

16 posts, read 27,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
West Berlin is an unincorporated census area within Berlin Twp. Some areas of NJ are designated with different names, but are part of a larger township, this is the case here.

West Berlin itself lies to the west of Berlin Borough and sits in the "V" formed by Route 73 and Route 30. Any information about this area is basically identical to what was already given about Berlin Township. The school district for elementary is average, but the high school is undesirable.

Also, as an FYI, the commute from Berlin to Northern Liberties in Philadelphia is not as easy as it may seem. You are probably looking at about an hour or more driving during the rush hour.

You should ask the mod to move this to the South Jersey subforum as that is where the Berlin area is located, you may get more answers. Also, if you are willing to share budget and wants/needs we may be able to suggest more towns for your consideration.
Thank you NJGOAT. I apreciate your helpful reply.
I am suprised the commute is that long... I ventured there several times from work in Philly and it didnt seem so long. Maybe beginners luck lol.
We hope to sell for $190,000 and would like to buy about $160,000- leaving us cash for possible remodeling etc.. Also, maybe there are more desirable charter HS's when the kids are that age (in about 12 years).
I was loking at annual property taxes and the $4,ooo range in West Belin looks affordable, if they dont go uppppp ....
As far as changing this posting to South Jersey section, I dont know how to ask that happen. Heck, Im lucky I found this here!
Basically, we are looking for a safe, affordable area, like everyone. I grew up in the burbs, with a big yard and want something like that for the kids.
I hate city living so much!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by States Rights View Post
Thank you NJGOAT. I apreciate your helpful reply.
I am suprised the commute is that long... I ventured there several times from work in Philly and it didnt seem so long. Maybe beginners luck lol.
We hope to sell for $190,000 and would like to buy about $160,000- leaving us cash for possible remodeling etc.. Also, maybe there are more desirable charter HS's when the kids are that age (in about 12 years).
I was loking at annual property taxes and the $4,ooo range in West Belin looks affordable, if they dont go uppppp ....
As far as changing this posting to South Jersey section, I dont know how to ask that happen. Heck, Im lucky I found this here!
Basically, we are looking for a safe, affordable area, like everyone. I grew up in the burbs, with a big yard and want something like that for the kids.
I hate city living so much!
Given your budget, you are going to have to compromise. $160k and ~$4k in property taxes isn't going to leave a lot to play with. Given that budget though, there are some other possibilities you may want to check out.

Oaklyn - Sits along Route 30 and is very close to the Philly bridges and PATCO (literally right across the river). Schools are decent and you have easy access to downtown Collingswood. The kids would go to Collingswood High which isn't the best, but better than Overbrook.

Audubon - Also sits along Route 30 and borders Oaklyn to the east. Good school district and easy access to Philly.

You may also want to check out Barrington, Magnolia and Somerdale. They are further out on Route 30, but schools equivalent to those in Berlin Twp. and in the case of Barrington a MUCH better high school or at least a little better in the case of Magnolia and Somerdale.

I hate to tell you, but given the budget you are going to have very limited choices in most areas of South Jersey that are decent places to live. Though, I think you would be able to find something in your price range in one of those towns and they all seem to be a better fit than Berlin Twp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey