Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,348 times

Advertisements

I Recently Moved Here And The Only Place I Feel Safe Is On The Military Base. I Did Research Before I Moved And Wish I Had Known Of These Forums Before I Made The Decision To Move Here. Now, Because Of Crime, Racial Discrimination, Paying For City Services I Don't Use, Etc., Etc. I Can't Wait To Get Outta Here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 07:09 PM

27 posts, read 126,025 times
im sure its based on per capita also......being that we have only like 1.5 or 1.7 million in the state.....those stats shoot up quickly vs say NY....where even nyc has nearly 10 million....or however close to it.

ive lived here 13 years. never had a single problem to speak of.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM

10 posts, read 43,646 times
As a former federal law officer the US government list Truth or Consequence, New Mexico as being the worst small town in America to live in as more than half of its local government is corrupt with many of its officals former felons or people hiding out from the law. There are several money laundering businesses, several terrorist groups located there, several drug dealers, several meth labs and judges being convicted on felonies. Many police officers are in to racketeering. Orgainized crime has a strong foothold there. The Neo-Nazis and the Klan have chapters there. Back in the nineties in one year alone there were 7 murders. Even a sheriff committed a murder and when one of his officers had the evidence to convict him of the murder that officer was murdered by that same sheriff then the crime was made to look like an accident. Thar former sheriff is now a US federal marshall. A former outlaw biker is now a judge there and another former judge was caught racketeering and forced to retire. One former mayor had been convict of child molestation before becoming a mayor. T or C has a population of only 7500! New Mexico has 32 corrupt towns and is listed as one of the most corrupt states in the union. Missisippi is the worst state, then Louisiana, then New Mexico and Arkansas in that order. The best state is Minnesota, then North Dakota, South Dakota, New Hampshire and Vermont in that order.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le7m2d6 View Post
As a former federal law officer the US government list Truth or Consequence, New Mexico as being the worst small town in America to live in as more than half of its local government is corrupt with many of its officals former felons or people hiding out from the law. There are several money laundering businesses, several terrorist groups located there, several drug dealers, several meth labs and judges being convicted on felonies. Many police officers are in to racketeering. Orgainized crime has a strong foothold there. The Neo-Nazis and the Klan have chapters there. Back in the nineties in one year alone there were 7 murders. Even a sheriff committed a murder and when one of his officers had the evidence to convict him of the murder that officer was murdered by that same sheriff then the crime was made to look like an accident. Thar former sheriff is now a US federal marshall. A former outlaw biker is now a judge there and another former judge was caught racketeering and forced to retire. One former mayor had been convict of child molestation before becoming a mayor. T or C has a population of only 7500! New Mexico has 32 corrupt towns and is listed as one of the most corrupt states in the union. Missisippi is the worst state, then Louisiana, then New Mexico and Arkansas in that order. The best state is Minnesota, then North Dakota, South Dakota, New Hampshire and Vermont in that order.

Interesting! I would like to hear more.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker View Post
Go to Google, enter 2004 Crime rate comparison, and you can compare crime rates for most cities. El Paso is much lower than national avg, Las Cruces is much higher. Also, Texas has no state income tax. Im not promoting ELP or TX, just passing on info.
El Paso's low crime rate is because everyone is murdered right accross the border. Try checking the amount of missing person's reports in El Paso, I bet it's way above the national average. There are hundreds of murders in Juarez, and I'm sure lots of those are connected to El Paso one way or another. The crime statistics are from the reports that the FBI tracks throughout the nation.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 43,646 times
Truth Or Consequences is number one in the nation for the worse place to live in a small town according to the Justice Department,

Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Angry Crime Doesn't Pay...

Unless you're in NM it seems. The honest citizen jobs just don't have the pay scale like anywhere else (I'm just being a smart-aleck)

Check out this site on state by state crime stats. Yup, it's not great statistic-wise compared to Ohio, where I'm from.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/

...or this one...

http://www.nmhomes.com/crime.html
look at the bottom of the page for city rankings. All the Ohio rankings are close to the bottom, and getting worse especially Youngstown,
Akron/Canton. Cleveland? Forget it. All your favorite NM towns there too intermingled.

I moved from Akron to Portales, and it's a big change. In Akron, you do not want to walk in certain areas at night in our neighborhood. Putting gas in your car around the corner, you have people puttin the bum on you for cash, you don't know if the bastard is going to pull a gun or knife when you tell them no, obvious meth tweakers coming off their fix, sirens, lots of cops. You call the Akron PD, they're coming down your chimney and light sockets. Our block was safe, but certain streets were the demarcation between the good, the bad, and the ugly. Drive a few blocks to Highland Square, housing prices jump exponentially, being an oasis of Akrons little "Haight-Ashbury".
Still crime exists anyways, the beat goes on. And it's worse statistically in ABQ.

Portales is a sleepy town. My wife teaches at ENMU, I found a job in Clovis with a sign company, I'm going to Clovis Community College for an IT certificate. This will keep us busy along with our letterpress printing hobby/biz, and art endeavors. YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOURSELF BUSY TO STAY SANE!!!
All these posters saying, this sucks, there is nothing to do here. That is YOUR FAULT for being a doorstop, a wet blanket. Get a hobby, get a life.

While Portales is by no means a nirvana; flat, lots of cattle, flat, people don't keep tidy yards(statewide), flat, long travel distances to drive, flat. Nowhere else really is a nirvana, no matter how pretty it looks. I can cite Santa Fe, ABQ on its faults but others have covered it here already.

There is little crime in Portales, as I have no problem walking from one end to the other any time of dayor night. No panhandlers, the occasional drug bust, but no gunfire crazy crap. People leave their doors unlocked here, I was floored when I heard that..Everyone is nice though, lots of rancher types, maybe the slight redneck factor keeps the crime rate in check. Here is the wikipedia piece on Portales below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portales,_New_Mexico

Last edited by newmex; 03-15-2007 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,322 times
Default What I have heard

I have never had any problems or been scared in Albuquerque. I have heard there are areas of concern, South Valley, 6-mile something (gangs). I have been on Central Avenue at night and was nervous.

Took an art class last month with women who drove down from Farmington.
Because it is near Durango, CO, I asked how it was to live there. They said they had always lived there and they have gangs, drive-bys, crime. I was surprised somehow.

I live near Bernalillo and have been told by young and old to try to stay out of area at night. Gang activity.

Have I encountered any crime in the last six years. No. So what I am saying is only hearsay.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 AM

271 posts, read 1,125,557 times
When they say that California or Hawaii have earthquakes, does not mean that they have it 24 hrs a day. Crime is the same, just because nothing has happened to you does not mean there isn't. By the way, if the area has a bad reputation for crime, take precautions and don't expose yourself regardless of the many times you have come out unscathed. Don't push your luck.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,544 times
Default True

Bad things can happen when you're not expecting them to. You gotta keep a vigil even in an open field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico