Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times

Advertisements

I was reading the posts on Raton, and it made me think of passing through that area many years ago. Drove over from Alamosa through Red River and Cimmaron, and as I was heading up towards Raton, a bunch of pronghorn started running alongside my car on through the high desert. Then I saw the mesas above Raton and the whole feeling of the place struck me as the essence of the High Southwest. Many other places to love in NM, of course, but the high plains and mesas feel the most New Mexican to me. Just a unique kind of scenery. Some strange archetype in my mind, I suppose. Perhaps that is why I am inclined to like Las Vegas.

How about you?

(No right or wrong answers on this thread. Just wanting to hear about places and peoples' impressions of them.)

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 10-01-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 06:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
I took the drive along the turquoise trail and came to a small town that had a very old adobe church with a graveyard next to it. There was nobody else around and the only sounds I heard were a barking dog and the whistling wind. It felt like I was in a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western and seemed very NM to me.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
I would guess that the most "advertised" images of NM are those containing adobe structures of one kind or another, yuccas, coyotes and road runners, red-dirt bluffs and mesas, and big-sky panoramic views.

But that denies the wide variety of terrain and "other than" views in this diverse state. But it's hard not to think of NM in those terms, IMO.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM

888 posts, read 1,187,331 times
For me at least............................................. .......................................

The small, rural towns with their Churches and adjoining graveyard.

Steve

Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
In attempting to answer this question, I thought I'd first have to figure out the least New Mexican locations in New Mexico. After all, if there's a most location, there'd have to be locations that aren't as much.

But then when you look at it.. how can something not be New Mexican much at all if it's in the state? It's New Mexican by definition.

So, my vote for least New Mexican location is Hobbs, merely on a cultural basis. Four corners might be second least, because people there aren't thinking more than 25% about NM. Still wondering about the most New Mexican location.. perhaps the statehouse in Santa Fe, if only because it's a gathering place for the entire state's elected representation. But now that we've got a Texan-funded governor in office.. I'll probably have to revisit that thought.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Texas-funded governor in NM? How does that work, and why? Sorry for the ignorance.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Texas-funded governor in NM? How does that work, and why? Sorry for the ignorance.
The majority of the campaign funding for this governor came from oil people in Texas.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was reading the posts on Raton, and it made me think of passing through that area many years ago. Drove over from Alamosa through Red River and Cimmaron, and as I was heading up towards Raton, a bunch of pronghorn started running alongside my car on through the high desert. Then I saw the mesas above Raton and the whole feeling of the place struck me as the essence of the High Southwest. Many other places to love in NM, of course, but the high plains and mesas feel the most New Mexican to me. Just a unique kind of scenery. Some strange archetype in my mind, I suppose. Perhaps that is why I am inclined to like Las Vegas.

How about you?

(No right or wrong answers on this thread. Just wanting to hear about places and peoples' impressions of them.)
That's interesting because I feel Raton and Las Vegas are two of the least New Mexican places. A lot of victorian style buildings in those two towns. Probably from the end of the 19th century. I like Raton, but it doesn't have a New Mexico feel to me.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
That's interesting because I feel Raton and Las Vegas are two of the least New Mexican places. A lot of victorian style buildings in those two towns. Probably from the end of the 19th century. I like Raton, but it doesn't have a New Mexico feel to me.
I hear you, and I agree the Spanish /Pueblo culture is essential to understanding NM, but something about the Northeast interests me. I will admit it could well be pretty similar to the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles and SE Colorado too. But there are still Spanish names to be seen and, well, it has a cool feel.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
The majority of the campaign funding for this governor came from oil people in Texas.
What do they hope to gain? Is there some big push for Texas industry to rule New Mexico? Seems like they already buy up most of the nice real estate, do they want to do a bunch of developments or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico