Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times

Advertisements

Well, that doesn't help things, but the rates were the same for the time just before 2006 recession when the economy boomed, jobs were plentiful, and people poured into the state. ABQ had around 20% growth for the decade 2000 thru 2009. So, no, not the reason.
Recession climate here still, federal jobs being cut and endangered, weak leadership at the mayoral and gubernatorial, high corporate taxes maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
Interesting article in Forbes magazine, data collected on States people are fleeing and NM is in the top 5. Also bad for businesses. Could it be because of our high crime/poverty here? Is that damaging our economy?
Why do you assume it is "high crime/poverty"? It could be lack of jobs?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,395 times
I'm contemplating coming TO New Mexico, but IMHO people leave for better opportunities elsewhere. It's not as simple as crime or bad schools -- because every state has crime and bad schools. The trick is to live in a way that allows you to avoid the crime as much as possible and get the best education possible. But none of that is possible unless you have a good job.

I live in Alabama. And as I've started investigating the potential move (essentially a retirement move for us), I'm struck by how many similarities there are between the two states. Very poor rural areas, wealth concentrated in the larger metros and in the more "resort" locales (gulf coast vs. Santa Fe/Taos), net recipients of federal largesse (both largely in high tech/military and poverty programs) an inferiority complex regarding more successful neighbors (NM has TX, AZ and CO, while AL has GA, FL and TN), and lots of lamenting by forward thinkers about what might have been or what still could be.

So then it comes down to jobs. I've had a theory for some time that it's the middle managers and senior subject matter folks that keep the wheels of commerce greased in a way that leads others to think "yeah, I wouldn't mind living there." And it's in that niche that AL and NM both suffer. Each has its large universities, hospitals and federal/defense employers. Each has its entrepreneurs and its retail. But each lacks the "regional office" jobs that are most often in Atlanta or Dallas/Phoenix/Denver instead. Insurance companies, banks, trucking companies, manufacturers, telecom, etc. -- those jobs just aren't in AL or NM. And I don't know that they ever will be. And the corporate tax structure in NM fails in comparison to the neighbors, so start-ups aren't enticed, either.

When looking at the economic structure of the states, both have very low property taxes, somewhat higher income tax and higher sales tax. They're net regressive. But in our particular case, we would take a hit as retirees. AL exempts most government/military retirement from state taxation, while NM doesn't (it exempts a very small portion). So it's also not as appealing to retirees. But I blame the lack of retirees more on what I think is NM's terrific climate -- four seasons and cold winters. The retirees like to bake. But not this retiree!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:40 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Recession climate here still, federal jobs being cut and endangered,
This is precisely why I left. Unfortunately.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'm contemplating coming TO New Mexico, but IMHO people leave for better opportunities elsewhere.... But I blame the lack of retirees more on what I think is NM's terrific climate -- four seasons and cold winters. The retirees like to bake. But not this retiree!
Good post. As someone who moved here three years ago based on a decision that this is where I want to slide into retirement, I continue to be surprised that NM isn't more of a retirement destination.

I'm still working but can do that from anywhere there's a good web connection and phone service. So I don't have to depend on finding/having a decent in-state job but still get to enjoy all the great benefits and joys of living here. I'm biased but sure seems to me like NM could sell the state as a wonderful location for telecommuters to move to.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'm contemplating coming TO New Mexico, but IMHO people leave for better opportunities elsewhere. It's not as simple as crime or bad schools -- because every state has crime and bad schools. The trick is to live in a way that allows you to avoid the crime as much as possible and get the best education possible. But none of that is possible unless you have a good job.

I live in Alabama. And as I've started investigating the potential move (essentially a retirement move for us), I'm struck by how many similarities there are between the two states. Very poor rural areas, wealth concentrated in the larger metros and in the more "resort" locales (gulf coast vs. Santa Fe/Taos), net recipients of federal largesse (both largely in high tech/military and poverty programs) an inferiority complex regarding more successful neighbors (NM has TX, AZ and CO, while AL has GA, FL and TN), and lots of lamenting by forward thinkers about what might have been or what still could be.

So then it comes down to jobs. I've had a theory for some time that it's the middle managers and senior subject matter folks that keep the wheels of commerce greased in a way that leads others to think "yeah, I wouldn't mind living there." And it's in that niche that AL and NM both suffer. Each has its large universities, hospitals and federal/defense employers. Each has its entrepreneurs and its retail. But each lacks the "regional office" jobs that are most often in Atlanta or Dallas/Phoenix/Denver instead. Insurance companies, banks, trucking companies, manufacturers, telecom, etc. -- those jobs just aren't in AL or NM. And I don't know that they ever will be. And the corporate tax structure in NM fails in comparison to the neighbors, so start-ups aren't enticed, either.

When looking at the economic structure of the states, both have very low property taxes, somewhat higher income tax and higher sales tax. They're net regressive. But in our particular case, we would take a hit as retirees. AL exempts most government/military retirement from state taxation, while NM doesn't (it exempts a very small portion). So it's also not as appealing to retirees. But I blame the lack of retirees more on what I think is NM's terrific climate -- four seasons and cold winters. The retirees like to bake. But not this retiree!
Very good points.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Good post. As someone who moved here three years ago based on a decision that this is where I want to slide into retirement, I continue to be surprised that NM isn't more of a retirement destination.

I'm still working but can do that from anywhere there's a good web connection and phone service. So I don't have to depend on finding/having a decent in-state job but still get to enjoy all the great benefits and joys of living here. I'm biased but sure seems to me like NM could sell the state as a wonderful location for telecommuters to move to.
We moved from Texas to NM in 2001 for exactly what you are saying: retirement. At the time our entire block with the exception of one family were retirees, when we re-located in 2008 there were about 4 families that were not retired on our block and 4 that were. NM has a lot to offer retirees, low cost of living, decent golf and fishing, (for those who do either) great gardening, again for those who like a garden and best of all great weather. I think the lack of really good medical care is a main concern to many. Yes, of course there are hosptilals, and yes, decent doctors. but overall the medical care isn't considered that good.

The biggest problem we saw with NM was the high poverty rates almost everywhere. Yes, all states have some, certainly where we are now has more than its share, but here it confined pretty much to certain areas. NM with the exception of Los Alamos has poverty almost throughout the state. They also do have the reputation for crime, but I think that is well over-stared...

Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 PM

31 posts, read 48,584 times
Quote:
The minute the opportunity came up for me to switch to working from home the beginning of this year, I began to make my plans to finally make the move to New Mexico I had been talking about for 20 years. My son and I are moving in April from the #1 state on Forbes list of states with the most people moving away (NJ.) But my son will be looking for work once he gets there. Unfortunately, one of his friends works for HP and was going to get him a job but is now in the process of losing his own with the cuts HP announced in Rio Rancho mid-January.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Have to differ with those that think the economy here boomed in the early 2000's on its own merit. The tide was high everywhere, NM benefitted mostly from the housing boom, relocatees from other states, govt expenditures, etc. That has totally dried up. Government jobs are shrinking and will continue to. The percentage of govt employees here is extremely high. The state is not friendly to the business climate with its tax codes and good old boy 'lets keep it the same' atmosphere, thus entrepreneurs and companies go to other states.

Thread is titled ' Why are people leaving NM? Well if one pays attention to whats happening here......

Companies do major demographic studies before considering states. Gross Receipts Tax code is stifling to business. NM has a 22% poverty rate, highest in the nation. 70% of births here are funded by Medicaid. 20% of the population has no health insurance, and health care here is rated marginal at best. Most job losses of any state (due mostly to govt cutbacks) in 2012. Crime is exceptionally high. Cost of housing is out of whack when compared to income levels. NM ranks about 48th of the 50 states in education. We have water issues, qualified worker issues, it goes on and on.

We came here 5 years ago to enjoy the outdoors and freedom from congestion of SoCal. Jobs were not a consideration so it worked out okay, but I must say that since my biz depends on reasonable growth its fairly lousy. Being surrounded by so much poverty, dependence on government, high cime in burglaries, domestic violence, etc wears one down.

So we're working hard to sock away every bit of $ we can, and hope that within 3-5 years we can relocate as well, (with a much better degree of homework done next time). The beauty of the landscape only goes so far against a culture mired in mediocrity, satisfied with dependence and so reticent to change and grow.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM

96 posts, read 210,775 times
I might have to leave myself in the next 1-2 years since the wife doesn't like her current job. The market here is too limited for her to have a good career. The two body problem makes things difficult.

I think housing prices here are way overvalued in comparison to what costs are now in other states (especially compared to avg. income), such as Arizona and Southern California. In those areas, with better job markets, you can get comparable or better housing for similar or lower prices with much better school districts.

When sequestration kicks in, housing prices here are going to drop like a rock. Actually, its going to be virtually impossible to even sell your house since there will be a large outflux. If I can stick it out, I plan on buying up an entire neighborhood and converting it into a ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico