Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:29 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,487 times

Advertisements

I'm native New Mexican (yes, some of us were really born there!) and after 30 adult years of living in OR, NJ, NC, and TX I'm ready to move "home." (I no longer have family in NM, but that's irrelevant. I grew up there and it always feels like home in northern NM.)

Santa Fe is probably now out of my price range for housing (mid $300s for a small home in a safe relatively central area), but I want to be in northern NM, in a town of "manageable" size (ie less than 200,000 people) and with an educated population (and restaurants and an economy to meet their desires). Usually that means a college town, but I'm wondering: what would Los Alamos be like for a self-employed, outdoorsy, mid-50s PhD female? Would there be an interesting and congenial community? Or is life there all organized around families, children, youth soccer and church (as in my current NC location.)

Thoughts? crime? housing costs? Other ideas for a "university town" feel in northern NM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink To each their own

I would think Los Alamos would fit all your criteria well. Certainly lots of PhD's there. It might feel somewhat insular to you; I've never lived there but would guess the primary interests those engendered by government work. So a question of how you feel once on the ground, and the vibe.

Taos might suite you better. Not exactly a college town, although a branch of the University of New Mexico there. But the general ambience certainly more liberal and laid back than Los Alamos. Since you were considering Santa Fe, you might consider Taos a smaller, less expensive version. In the years I lived there, many Taosenos considered Santa Fe far too big and chic. Superficial. And some other terms not as complimentary. It is certainly a place with an ambience all its own.

Otherwise, perhaps you might find a place on the periphery of Santa Fe that falls within your budget yet with good access to the aspects of Santa Fe you desire. Perhaps with some searching you might even locate something small and cozy even within Santa Fe.

As you surely know, each will be different.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 12,134 times
Smile Possible move to Santa Fe/ Los Alamos

Hello everyone,
My husband has received an offer for post doctoral work at LANL, and we are considering moving there. We are planning a visit soon to get a feel for the area. If we do decide to move there, we won't do so until July. We are a family of four, I am an RN in a large hospital and we have two very young kids. (<3 yo). I do have questions that I'm hoping someone will be able to answer.

1. Should we try to schedule a meeting with a realtor during our visit (Feb) to look for possible rentals, given that we won't move until July?
2. Does anyone have any information about Los Alamos Medical Center or Christus St Vincent? What's the reputation of either hospitals as a place of employment, or from a patient's perspective?
3. If we have to commute from LA to SF or vice versa, how are the driving conditions from LA to Santa Fe during the winter time? We hardly get any freezing temperature here in TX so I'm nervous about the possibility of driving in winter weather in hills/mountains (something that I lack in experience as well)
4. What activities are there for young kids in Los Alamos or Santa Fe?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Some answers here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...ut-moving.html

Old 01-28-2013, 05:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJRice View Post
3. If we have to commute from LA to SF or vice versa, how are the driving conditions from LA to Santa Fe during the winter time? We hardly get any freezing temperature here in TX so I'm nervous about the possibility of driving in winter weather in hills/mountains (something that I lack in experience as well)
In addition to the thread N8! posted you might read the following:

Commuting from Santa Fe to Los Alamos

Also a thread with 200 might help:

Relocating to Los Alamos area

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,134 times
Thank you all so much!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 12,252 times
In regards to all three of your questions
1. The rental market in Los Alamos is unique, so it would not hurt to establish a relationship with a realtor when you come in February. Please stop in to the Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Center at 109 Central Park Square, and we can help get you oriented. You can also find some good information about neighborhoods and the community on our site www.locate.losalamos.com
2. The Los Alamos Medical Center is a beloved local institution. Contact person for HR in the administrator's office is Jacqui Carroll, 505-661-9500. Christus St. Vincent will be opening an office here in February. They provide many services to Los Alamos residents that aren't available in Los Alamos proper.
3. The roads between Santa Fe and Los Alamos are well maintained, plowed and sanded. There are several thousand commuters to LANL each day. Bad weather and snow and ice have more of an impact on local streets than on the major commute corridors.
4. This is a very kid-friendly community. You can find a comprehensive calendar of events on the Chamber website, www.losalamoschamber.com, under "events", but to name just a few that are available in addition to school oriented activities:
Family Strengths Network is a wonderful place to connect with other young families
The Los Alamos County Public Library System has storytelling, art projects, movement classes and more for young kids
We have more Montessori pre-schools per capita than I've seen anywhere else
The Pajarito Environmental Education Center is a great place for young kids to visit- they have quite a few interesting animals, and fun activities for little ones www.pajaritoeec.org
The County recreation department conducts swimming classes www.losalamoscountynm.us/rec
Please give us a call if there's anything else we can help with 505-661-8105

Old 01-30-2013, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 12,252 times
I was just going to add a little bit to the comment about our unique rental situation- the reason I mentioned establishing a relationship with a realtor is that there are houses listed for sale that could quite well be available for rent, and those realtors can make those inquiries for you. The Chamber can send you a list of all the apartment landlords- send us an e-mail at chamber@losalamos.org

Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,627 times
Hi All,
My situation is quite similar to LJRice, except that we're only two of us and planning to have a family. I'm wondering if it's possible to find a job in my related field at Los Alamos. I'm working as an accounting professional in a software company in San Francisco Bay area. I believe LANL is a great postdoc opportunity for my husband. At the same time I'm afraid at the financial side if I'm jobless...
Any advice and suggestion is welcome. Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Accountants are hard to come by in NM, quality ones more so.

You may find you need to commute to SF to get a full time position, but the commute's not bad, particularly by bay area standards.

The labs (and their local contractors) need accountants too, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico