Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

I don't care to move to a place that has a rapidly growing population...Fort Worth is growing like crazy, like Austin, and it's not a good thing, in my opinion, unless you're making a lot of money because of it. On the other hand, I suppose it's a bad idea to move to a town that is dying on the vine, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 9,743 times
Default Luna County Property Taxes

Hello. I purchased a lot in that very same place this spring. I need to pay my property taxes but I don't know how or where to do it.

Can anyone here tell me where to pay my Luna County property taxes and whatever other taxes need to be paid for these lots?

Thanks for any help!

Mr. New-to-real-estate

Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 AM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barabajagal View Post
Hello. I purchased a lot in that very same place this spring. I need to pay my property taxes but I don't know how or where to do it.

Can anyone here tell me where to pay my Luna County property taxes and whatever other taxes need to be paid for these lots?

Thanks for any help!

Mr. New-to-real-estate
Contact the Luna County Assessor. They will send you a tax bill.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
The Luna County website seems to be in transition as of 7/26/07. It used to have all the phone numbers and listings, but it's a lot more vague now:

Home Page (broken link)

Even the State directory is missing Luna:

http://www.newmexico.gov/government.php#county (broken link)

I believe the number for the Luna County Assessor is 505.546.0404. They should be able to direct you to the proper department.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:10 PM

153 posts, read 759,330 times
Noticed that people are selling them on eBay:

eBay - deming ranchettes, Land, Real Estate items on eBay.com

Looks like some completed ones went for around $300-$500

Old 07-30-2007, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 39,055 times
Water Water Water....I am repeating myself, talked about this on another post, sorry--- water in Luna County is mined from the Mimbres Aquifer, a river that went subterranean....Deming has the largest agriculture community in the state, 95% of its water going to agriculture; the new twin tower gas driven, water cooled 65 MW generation station has it's own water source and may suck the aquifer dry according to some hydro testimony. Great examples of passive solar, off the grid living are represented here. If the ranchette people got together a strong representation of sustainable desert living could be achieved. If you bought your Ranchette property from Dennis Mack, he would strongly agree.

Julie, SWdesert

Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Water is my concern, too. If the farms were to mostly go away, how many people could Luna County support in the terms of water?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:57 AM

24 posts, read 138,875 times
The old saying holds true, if you cant beat them join them. I think you will see a population explosion in the deming and sunshine ranchettes in the next few years and we will need a strong village voice.It will become quite easy to out vote the local establishment and implement laws compatible with the ranchettes and over time the area will become a shining star in NM. Water and other problems can be easily over-come and the influx of residential living plus new money should be a boon to farmers. Retirees are not looking for new 4 lane hiways and bustling cities, farms and unrepaired back roads are just fine.They dont raise taxes and they give people something to talk about over that coffee in the morning. Remember that theres going to be a lot of disgruntled people in the area at first because their way of life is going to be abruptly changed in the next few years and in general people dislike change. This is a poor area that is going to see an influx of people from the north with a lot of money to spend and thats not going to set well at first but over time local people will see that change can be a good thing.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 PM

32 posts, read 149,744 times
Default There will be no "population explosion"

People have to really drive around out there to see what ISN'T there: water, electricity, paved roads, trees, amenities. The Ranchettes are 20 miles East of Deming in the middle of nowhere, and were platted by some dreamer as a get-rich-quick scheme. There are something like 110,000 half-acre parcels platted out there, all of them on light dirt roads once bladed into the desert and now fading. East-coasters and midwesterners who dreamed of a bit of Western land bought into the place, and they--or the children who inherited these worthless parcels--are desperately trying to drum up interest in them.

The REAL residents of Deming, on the other hand, are interested in protecting the environment and the water supply. The county is only doing what has been done in Florida and in many other places with unethical developers--changing the rules to right a historic wrong.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM

I agree. The Ranchettes have been out there for the last 40-50 years and what sort of occupancy is there now? I have land out in Sunshine Valley, which is even further out than Deming Ranchettes, and I think there is a total of 12 houses in the roughly 21 square miles that make up the sub-division. That's going off Yahoo Map's satellite images which shouldn't be that old.

Is Ordinance 37 fair? Probably not, but what is the alternative? The County needs to have a balanced plan to allow for growth, but at the same time not allow things to spin out of control. The County Commission that approved all the Ranchettes back in the 1950's probably had no idea that this could possibly become a major headache. A mile out of Deming was in the boonies, let alone anyone that would want to live 20 miles out.

The current powers-that-be need to really think about which direction is going to be best for Deming and Luna County. Providing water is going to be a major concern as well as what the economic base will be. I think it's going to be a long, hard road to achieving a solution that pleases everyone now and 20 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico