Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 04:30 PM

356 posts, read 502,831 times

Advertisements

Algiz, everywhere I go in New Mexico, folks have dogs, walk their dogs, hike with their dogs, camp with their dogs -- and the dogs live.
Three things to consider: Do the snake aversion training! The Central New Mexico Brittany Club does one each spring that is open to all comers. It involves putting a shock collar on your dog, letting it get a good whiff of a de-fanged rattler and giving it a quick 10. Yes, it hurts for a second -- and yes, your dog will always associate that smell with pain. This is a good thing.
Second, there is a controversial rattlesnake vaccine made by Red Rock Biologics specifically to reduce the effects of a bite by a western diamondback -- the most common crotalid in New Mexico. Some say it works well, others not at all. A vet friend in central Oregon said he is a real believer based on bitten dogs he has treated. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...ogs-effective/
Third, you can put up snake fencing, but it has to be done right. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zO80hoPvfE
And keep in mind, rattlesnakes are most active early in the morning, in the evening and after a rain, especially around grass.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM

511 posts, read 624,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Roadrunners also kill small rattlers.
Coyotes kill rattlers and roadrunners do, too...

Thing is, I'm not interested in killing them, just avoiding them.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Algiz, everywhere I go in New Mexico, folks have dogs, walk their dogs, hike with their dogs, camp with their dogs -- and the dogs live.
Three things to consider: Do the snake aversion training! The Central New Mexico Brittany Club does one each spring that is open to all comers. It involves putting a shock collar on your dog, letting it get a good whiff of a de-fanged rattler and giving it a quick 10. Yes, it hurts for a second -- and yes, your dog will always associate that smell with pain. This is a good thing.
Second, there is a controversial rattlesnake vaccine made by Red Rock Biologics specifically to reduce the effects of a bite by a western diamondback -- the most common crotalid in New Mexico. Some say it works well, others not at all. A vet friend in central Oregon said he is a real believer based on bitten dogs he has treated. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...ogs-effective/
Third, you can put up snake fencing, but it has to be done right. See here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zO80hoPvfE
And keep in mind, rattlesnakes are most active early in the morning, in the evening and after a rain, especially around grass.
Wow, Oregon Bill, wonderful info and video! I'm looking into it.

I imagine that 1/4 inch mesh will be expensive to fence an acre, but well worth it to me.

I will do the snake aversion training, even if I don't move to NM, I've decided. My dog is just so curious and so confident and has such a positive disposition, so sure of the goodness of all, that he has no concept that something could be bad.

Hmmm, while in Placitas, I made sure to get up early in the morning, sometimes just after dawn, thinking that this would be the safest time to hike around with my dog since the snakes would be less likely to be out since it was cool then. I thought they liked to be out in the heat more than the coolness of the morning. OMG, we certainly lucked out! I'll remember your words about when they're the most active. Thanks again - very valuable info, very much.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:15 AM

356 posts, read 502,831 times
Algiz, my guess is fencing an entire acre would be problematic. I would talk to some of the folks that do rattlesnake removals about other measures you can take to make your property less attractive to buzztails in terms of vegetation management and discouraging mice and other preferred snake foods. Do discuss the issue with your vet -- your NEW MEXICO vet who has a lot of experience with snake bite. You might also reach out to a university herpetologist; the more you know, the better prepared you are to protect yourself and your canine best friend.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Algiz, my guess is fencing an entire acre would be problematic. I would talk to some of the folks that do rattlesnake removals about other measures you can take to make your property less attractive to buzztails in terms of vegetation management and discouraging mice and other preferred snake foods. Do discuss the issue with your vet -- your NEW MEXICO vet who has a lot of experience with snake bite. You might also reach out to a university herpetologist; the more you know, the better prepared you are to protect yourself and your canine best friend.

Regarding fencing, I was thinking of building something like a horse fence - and attaching the mesh like we now have welded wire from a few inches below ground level to the top rail, so our dog can't go through the rails. I do wonder, though, if snakes would get through because they can burrow underneath. In any case, your idea of making sure not to attract the snakes is probably the best advice of all. That's probably how so many dogs there have no incidents with snakes. Wood isn't piled up, grass is kept short, and all is far from where the dog hangs out. I will find a vet before we go and connecting with someone knowledgeable at UNM is also a good idea. I've already contacted the gardeners at the UNM and have gotten exceptional advice on gardening in the high desert, esp northern NM. They've been very helpful.

Oregon Bill, you've given me a firm foundation from which to work this out. Thank you!

Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
She said they're country dogs, and she knows the risks, and hopes they stay safe ....are you still in Sunnyvale? Half of my extended family is from Sunnyvale! Have you lived in NM long?
I grew up in NM, I'm currently in Sunnyvale having moved here several years ago to work in Silicon Valley.
When I was growing up, we had dogs, we lived in a semi-rural area with our house butting up against the desert. Our dogs were outdoor dogs. They spent all their time either in the yard or escaping from the yard to go wander around. I'm sure they must have gotten wise to dealing with snakes and other things because as far as I'm aware they never got bit. The worse that happened was the small dog came back with a gunshot wound once. It must have been shot and somehow crawled or limped its way back to our porch where I discovered it resting quietly. After seeing blood in the snow I examined him and took him to the vet where he was treated. He recovered nicely. I think maybe the cold and snow had helped to stop the bleeding.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:36 AM

Algiz:

The fencing might seem like a good idea, the problem is that groundhogs are other rodents are not deterred by fencing, and rattlesnakes use tunnels that these critters have constructed. Which means there's always an easy way into your yard.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Algiz:

The fencing might seem like a good idea, the problem is that groundhogs are other rodents are not deterred by fencing, and rattlesnakes use tunnels that these critters have constructed. Which means there's always an easy way into your yard.
Don't I know that! Gophers here tunnel through everything. Holes and dirt mounds exist on all grass and lawns around here. I see what you mean about snakes using existing holes. It's clear to me now that the only way to expect mesh to be effective is if I were to enclose a patio laid with cement and no earth anywhere. I need to be either ready to live with snakes, do my due diligence, and hope for the best or to not move to the desert. This is getting pretty clear the longer I read this thread and do research based on the info I'm getting and what I find on my own.

People have been so helpful on this thread. I appreciate the information, encouragement, and candor.

80skeys, I hope you're enjoying your time in Sunnyvale. I hear it's nothing like it used to be, but then what is? I hear all about the cherry orchards and all the things kids love to do in those kinds of undeveloped places. I only know it for what it is today. Hard to imagine what it used to be. But then, I know what San Diego used to be...so not too hard to imagine, really!

Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Don't I know that! Gophers here tunnel through everything.

RICHARD FAGERLUND: Burrowing gophers are actually very beneficial animals
By Rio Rancho Observer staff
Published: Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 at 12:00am
Updated: Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 at 10:29pm

Pocket gophers construct burrows under the ground using their strong forelegs, enlarged claws and even their teeth. Their vision is poor because of their habitat, as is their hearing.

RICHARD FAGERLUND has been writing articles in this area for at least 15years...

Entire article at: https://www.abqjournal.com/293490/bu...l-animals.html

They will only did down a certain depth. I have had them in my yard and have seen them in other peoples yards.

Another article: Pocket Gopher Protocols - Prairie Dog Pals

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
80skeys, I hope you're enjoying your time in Sunnyvale. I hear it's nothing like it used to be, but then what is? I hear all about the cherry orchards and all the things kids love to do in those kinds of undeveloped places.
No orchards of any kind around here anymore. you will see occasional fruit trees in the parking lots. Like the plum trees near my office. It's unclear ot me whether these are remnants of the orchard days from the 1970s, or were planted recently with the intention of sprucing up the office complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico