Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
He might pick off a few votes in the Albuquerque metro area, but after Rich's other post of showing the 5 declared candidates, it seems as though Mick Rich has the most organized campaign, and my money would be on him to win the primary.
Mick Rich ran for Senate two years ago against Martin Heinrich and got absolutely trounced. He didn't seem to have a whole lot of political acumen and never really drew much attention. I'm surprised he's running again, actually. Maybe he has better political advisors this time? Or just more money than sense?

None of the Rs in the race so far are exactly high-profile and it's hard for me to pick a clear frontrunner. Maybe that's why more candidates keep coming out of the woodwork?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This individual is running for US Senate, not NM Legislature or Governor. Our last Republican US Senator was Pete Domenici. Did he boost our ranking?

I'm just happy this "weather man" and his fake grin are off the air. No political experience but plenty of experience as a stuffed shirt.
Gotta start from the top down.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Gotta start from the top down.
The US Senate is currently in Republican hands. Electing a Republican from NM isn't going to change that dynamic. Your whole point (if you have one) falls flat.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Those two facts don't strike me as warm and fuzzy, but more like cold, calculated and ambitious.
Ambition? In New Mexico? This guy doesn't stand a chance. Might as well state he has a penchant for eating kittens.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:03 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Politics aside, is there anything this guy brings to the table besides a TV persona, a talent for self-promotion, and a bunch of hot air? You'd think the NM GOP would be better served by someone whose political ideas are shaped by actual substance and experience...
He is ripe for the picking by lobbyists and special interests. He will probably bring gun lobby money and maybe anti-choice money if he wins the primary but the GOP field is pretty big and someone else might squeak through. Right now he is sucking a lot of air out of his rivals' campaign and getting more attention than he deserves.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
He moved away for a few years to a job in a bigger market (Portland) so he hasn't lived in New Mexico for 22 years, its less than 20, as he himself says in his campaign video.

Media people and ambitious people like this are always looking to move on to a bigger thing. They don't care to put down roots. Mark Ronchetti moved back to New Mexico to accept the head meteorologist position at a television station in what was then the 42nd largest media market. That's better than being an associate meteorologist at a television station in the 28th largest media market at the time.

As a lifelong New Mexican of nearly 40 years, with a strong loyalty and connection to this place, no I don't believe he has a strong loyalty or connection to New Mexico.

His wife is from Colorado, which is where I expect them to eventually end up, especially if he loses.
I no longer live in NM but it does seem to me that someone who has lived in a place, even close to 20 years does have some strong ties to the state. Maybe personal dislike for him is influencing your views somewhat? Will he win or lose, I have no idea, but this doesn't mean he will pick up stakes and take off. BTW, there is nothing wrong with being ambitious. Most of us are or were when we were younger.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This individual is running for US Senate, not NM Legislature or Governor. Our last Republican US Senator was Pete Domenici. Did he boost our ranking?

I'm just happy this "weather man" and his fake grin are off the air. No political experience but plenty of experience as a stuffed shirt.
no political experience, everyone has to start somewhere. Pete may have not helped the state much, but it doesn't seem 1 person is only a start. I do think, if I were still in NM I would prefer my party to elect officials at the state level where maybe then can help the state more.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I no longer live in NM but it does seem to me that someone who has lived in a place, even close to 20 years does have some strong ties to the state. Maybe personal dislike for him is influencing your views somewhat? Will he win or lose, I have no idea, but this doesn't mean he will pick up stakes and take off. BTW, there is nothing wrong with being ambitious. Most of us are or were when we were younger.
I've never disliked Mark Ronchetti. His revelation of his political views and ambition has simply soured my view of him. His political and religious views don't sit well with me.

I think it's ridiculous that he believes he can best help New Mexico and its problems as a U.S. senator. Perhaps run for governor instead? Or start out locally in Albuquerque as city councilor or mayor. He would be more effective at changing New Mexico in those positions.

I believe his ambition, ego and support of the president are overriding this common sense thinking of working at the local level instead. He wants to be a more powerful, influential and nationally-known figure and that is taking precedence over actually being able to help New Mexico with its problems.

I've always seen him and his wife as the type that will move on from New Mexico at some point. And I mostly mean ambitious in terms of trying to become famous on a national scale or bigger stage than New Mexico. It's not like that hasn't happened before or is an unknown phenomenon, with people like the Maloofs, etc.

I don't think they are happy enough being well-known in New Mexico or a power couple in little ol' Albuquerque. Watch their reality show, it's painfully obvious to me what they are all about and up to.

Perhaps you as someone who gave up on New Mexico and moved on can't appreciate the feelings of people such as me who are here for the long haul and couldn't fathom ever leaving this state for any reason?

Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
His teeth scare me.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:58 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Joe Monahan wrote:

"As for Ronchetti, the popular media personality is aligned with the Gov. Martinez and consultant Jay McCleskey faction of the GOP and not the ruling faction led by GOP Chairman Steve Pearce. Former Governor Martinez was no Trumper but it’s the Trumpers in command of today's party."

So he can tap into funds from Martinez/McCleskey's donors. Also having a reality TV show and knowing how to slather on make-up for the camera "trumps" experience these days.

https://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspo...ll-wet-or.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico