Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 01:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you might get the one that's $10,000 cheaper. That's a good problem ta have, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 09:38 PM

138 posts, read 145,434 times
That's the one we're working on. I think we should be on track to buy within a week. Financing isn't a problem because we sold one and we're financing less than we did using the same mortgage company, have VA backing and a sizable down payment. It may not finalize for a couple of weeks so they can get rid of some stuff. But we're close together on terms already.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 PM

That's the one we're working on. I think we should be on track to buy within a week. Financing isn't a problem because we sold one and we're financing less than we did using the same mortgage company, have VA backing and a sizable down payment. It may not finalize for a couple of weeks so they can get rid of some stuff. But we're close together on terms already.

Excellent. I think you'll like Alamogordo. It's in a good location in and of itself - what's nice is you can see the White Sands right nearby, and, if you want tall trees and mountainous areas you just go up the hill into the Lincoln National Forest. Alamogordo can get somewhat busy on it's streets with traffic, but, at the end of the day, it's just a small southern New Mexico city with an Air Force Base 10-15 miles to the west of it. You'll hear the jets up in the sky often, and, occasionally, a sonic boom.

A week ago we drove up to Timberon, 32 miles south of Cloudcroft. What a fun thing to do - I punched the gas pedal on the '21 Kia Soul LX 6-speed and thoroughly enjoyed the ride and handling of the new rig up there. It was so relaxing and fun.

Our Chow Chow really enjoyed her walk up there, too. For some reason she was in 7th heaven walking the oakie streets of Timberon. Something is special up there. None of the hustle and bustle of Alamogordo is present in Timberon. We drove some new to us streets of Timberon this last time up there and we realized there's a bunch more housing established up there that we didn't know about.

Glad to have some new people coming to Alamogordo. If I were to pick one store we wished we had that we don't, I'd have to say Sprouts. Slowly but surely we're adding more stores all the time.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:17 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
I’m jealous. Miss Alamo....

Old 09-02-2020, 05:52 PM

House supposed to close on the 10th. WHAT! AN! ORDEAL!

Last (and first) time I bought a house it was nothing like this. That was 2008. A few pieces of paper, an inspection, a little bit of waiting: done.

This time It was get pre-approved (not sure what good that did), submit more paperwork, get inspection, submit more paperwork, submit still more paperwork, resubmit paperwork because paperwork I never needed last time isn't complete, make dozens of phonecalls to voicemail that only a few were answered, hundreds of texts and emails, more paperwork, signing addendums, submit more documentation of what I already documented twice, reagree to some things I already agreed to more than once in other documentation, then be assured that THIS TIME everything is done.

I'm just glad this is the last time I ever do this!

Old 09-03-2020, 03:28 PM

I'm just glad this is the last time I ever do this!

Make this house the last one you'll ever need. Put your personal touches on it and you'll dig in, enjoy it to the hilt, and be happy here in the desert southwest.

Sorry about your process being so laborious, though. Yikes.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:49 AM

The house is finally mine after a few last minute chaos sessions caused by the title company (neither of which they've apologized for, but they got their money so they're cool with it). Well, my place, but I currently share it with a hoard of mice. But I know how to deal with them alright. They'll be ex-tenants before the end of the week.

Glad to finally put this house-buying thing to rest! If I'd known it would be half as bad as it was I might have decided to rent the remainder of my life.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Congrats! I would like to be there in about 2 years.
Mice, ugh. I got them in my cottage, what a mess they can make. Then I learned about hantavirus and that put the fear in me. Be careful as you clean. Evict those pesky squatters, they're not paying rent! I'm a bit jealous, the cold is just starting here in MI and I'm not enjoying it already...45 last night, brrr!

Old 09-15-2020, 11:02 AM

It's currently 73` with 45% humidity. It'll only get to 80` today. Nice. Gonna wash the new Kia today with much joy. Then vacuum the seats and floors and wipe off the remaining surfaces. I'm enjoying a week off of work, which equates to 11 days in a row off, so I'm a happy camper.

Sorry your process went so badly with your house, phydeaux3. It's yours now, though. We've put so many touches on our house that I feel like we've invested further enough money in to it that it's really ours now. For the long haul. We're getting a new Roper dryer from Lowe's this Friday, which is really gonna be nice.

Get those mice outta there, phydeaux3. You'll do it. Hope you can settle in to your house and get things put away if you haven't already, then get rid of those mice and begin putting your own personal touches to the house and truly make it your own. I still say you and any of yours applicable are gonna like Alamogordo.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 AM

Found a video for mice. They come inside to eat, then go outside for water usually. But to make sure they do, keep any water (like I have for the dogs) unavailable inside for a few days. Then inside and near the water leave baking soda for them to eat. Mice can't burp. So they eat the baking soda, go outside and the water they drink makes the baking soda swell them up and they explode. Tried it once and it worked on a small scale. No reason why it shouldn't work just as well on a large scale. Didn't take long last time, so should be quick this time, too.

Another one I saw and didn't try said use quick-drying cement. They'll eat that because mice eat everything. The water will then kill them internally. Supposed to be less messy. But I have a dog that eats everything in sight. Baking soda might make him uncomfortable. But it wouldn't kill him like cement would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico