Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 07:27 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times

Advertisements

Well said, Eddie Gein. Why don't you live in New Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 07:35 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Well said, Eddie Gein. Why don't you live in New Mexico?
My folks are in their 80s and I try to get over to their place about once a month. When they are gone I am thinking about going back out there (Arizona/NM). Alamogordo checks a lot of positive boxes.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Closer to Albuquerque -- you might consider Placitas or Coralles. Summer temps will be a bit warmer than Taos. Albuquerque has had only about 96 100-degree days in the past 81 years so this is not like parts of Arizona. Being at a higher elevation means the sun will get you before the heat.
s hot as it can get, I agree there are not a lot of days that are miserable.We didn't even have central air and we lived just south of ABQ. The nights were wonderful and the only time we were really uncomfortable was when the days did get above 95, which in 7 years of living there I would guess they didn't get that hot more than 3 times a summer average. It also was a wonderful place to grow a lovely garden in the summer and many of the veggies would be healthy until late Oct into Nov.

Had we discovered Coralles before we bought where we did I think we would have stayed there forever. Our biggest complaint was the lack of top level medical care.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:36 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I've been living part time in Tucson for the past 3 years, since I retired in late 2017. I lived the prior 20 or so years in Orange County, CA. I normally go to Germany to escape the heat of Tucson from May to October, but didn't make it there this year due to COVID fouling up global travel plans.

I've visited NM many times and like the idea of somewhat cooler weather than what I put up with here in Tucson. This summer has been brutal for me, I am shut in most of the day except the 4 days a week when I get up at 4 am and go bicycle riding for 3 hours. 4 am till 7:30 am are the only hours of comfortable temps for outdoor activity at this time of year.

I did a weatherspark temperature comparison chart between Tucson and Corrales.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/3...les-and-Tucson

Looks like the average high and low temps in Corrales are about 10 degrees cooler than Tucson in summer, and about 15 degrees less in winter. I can deal with the low temps in winter, but Corrales would give me a much more comfortable May to September than I find in Tucson. My apartment lease runs out in 2 months, so thinking about plan B.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
Alto is a little bit lower than Cloudcroft so it's going to be a bit warmer. And I don't mean to dog Cloudcroft. As people said it's a beautiful little rustic spot but if you choose to live there you kind of have to "rough it" in the winter time..... so to speak. However it is a cool little mountain village. There certainly isn't anywhere else like it in New Mexico.

Legend has it that rock star Joe Walsh has a cabin somewhere around Cloudcroft. It would make sense because the area is so rural and no one may ever see him much. He has the money to buy whatever he wants and Cloudcroft would be the perfect hideaway spot for him.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briargate View Post
Grants, NM. You have Mount Taylor, yet are only an hour away from the ABQ airport. I do not know if the economy there is still on the boom or bust cycle due to uranium mining. Kind of dry in town though. El Malpais to the south. Not influenced too much by Native American communities (unlike Gallup).

Farmington, NM. A nice medium sized city with plenty of water. Fishing, boating, hiking, horses. If you want to go climbing, the 14ers in CO are close by. They have a regional airport. The last time I was there, it was on a boom cycle due to oil and natural gas exploration.
I know this is topic up for debate, but I would never even think about moving to Grants. There are too many nicer parts of NM ROP

Old 07-29-2020, 03:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB215 View Post
Hello all,

Looking for suggestions/info. I'm planning to move to NM in the next 12 months. Here is a short list of things I'd like to include in a location. Just getting started looking, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

1. Higher elevation for coolish summers.
2. Access to great trail systems and outdoor activities.
3. Equestrian friendly.
4. Local airport, or major airport within 3 hour drive.
We have lived in the immediate Albuquerque area, for many reasons, for 20+ years. It's centrally located. Has the best airport (Albuquerque) area if you wish or have to travel. I/we have traveled a lot. It's not too hot or cold, it has a variety of trail systems. It appears to be Equestrian friendly... But I have not ridden much in New Mexico. The immediate Albuquerque area has a lot to offer.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We have lived in the immediate Albuquerque area, for many reasons, for 20+ years. It's centrally located. Has the best airport (Albuquerque) area if you wish or have to travel. I/we have traveled a lot. It's not too hot or cold, it has a variety of trail systems. It appears to be Equestrian friendly... But I have not ridden much in New Mexico. The immediate Albuquerque area has a lot to offer.
yep, the Sunport is the best and next happens to be our airport here in NWA. We have pretty much past the age of boarding an airplane very often, but we used to love flying in and out of the Sunport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico