Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 08:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times

Advertisements

Fredericksburg is a popular touristy area. German heritage, so quite a few German style buildings. Wineries. Then there is the Museum of History of WW2 in the Pacific. Great museum. Then you can see the home of LBJ. Very interesting tour. If that's not enough San Antonio and the Alamo are about an hour away. Austin is about 1 1/2 hour. LBJ presidential museum is there.. Neither Tx or NM are great tourist destinations, and both are huge states. So you have to be careful with planning vacations there, or you can do a lot of driving to see very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 12:50 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm one of those people who want to go to every state in the country. New Mexico is an interesting one because I don't think I'd ever fly into New Mexico but more likely come from Phoenix area.

I could always come from Texas but the only place in Texas I plan on visiting near New Mexico is Odessa & that's just on the South East corner of New Mexico.

If I were to come from Phoenix area what would you recommend checking out?

I've thought of possibly venturing into Albuquerque since it's a well known city & anything worth checking out in that direction would be something I'd like to know.

I know Phoenix is about 6-7 hours from Albuquerque so I think the idea would be to fly into Phoenix & drive out there & stay a day. Then head back an opposite way (I40).

Btw this isn't a trip happening until at the earliest next Feb/March. Hopefully our situation with Covid is much better by then. '

Thanks for info.
I drove from Phoenix to Albuquerque many times. I went to HS in Santa Fe but am from AZ. I grew up not too far from the Four Corners (indigenous). In my opinion, a great way to enjoy NM with a drive from Phoenix is to hike the La Luz Trail. If you are driving from the east side of Phoenix like Mesa, Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, or Chandler/Gilbert, it would be best to go to via Payson and Holbrook. Once you leave Shea Blvd and get on the Beeline Highway in far northeast Phoenix it takes about 3 hours to get to Holbrook via the Mogollon Rim then Heber. Or, if you are leaving Phoenix from Cave Creek, Glendale, Surprise, Peoria, etc. then it is best to go north to Flagstaff and east on I-40. I've done both.

Then in Albuquerque I like to spend the night and then hike up La Luz in the morning. Winter hikes to the summit are possible (pre-covid). I don't know about now though because of covid. But assuming the pandemic gets under control with a vaccine, then it should be doable. The view from the summit and winter snow at high-altitude are great in the winter. In the summer, you can see the monsoon rain forming in the distance coming from Grants or Belen. I love it up there.

But that hike is not for the feint-of-heart. It is 15 miles starting at about 6500 feet to 10678 feet (roundtrip). To me, it's worth it coming from Phoenix.

If that is too much, I'd recommend Santa Fe and Taos for scenery and a dip into the culture of the Upper Rio Grande Valley. I wen to HS there and loved it. I had a run that went around Fort Marcy long ago as a teen (the rolling steep foothils of north Santa Fe) that went back into town near the Plaza. I did it again a few times last year and was euphoric.

The main problem with NM was the job market for software engineers. The main employer for that field is the Los Alamos or Sandia Lab. The background check can take months. By contrast, private employers out-of-state in Colorado and Phoenix can hire within days which ultimately brought me back to Phoenix. I miss NM though. I wish I was still there running Santa Fe on weekends or hiking La Luz.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:56 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
FBurg is really kool cuz its in the Texas Hill Country and theres lots of German/Bavarian heritage and culture there.Its not really near Houston.Its several hours away from Houston.
You're right. I meant San Antonio. I have friends in SA so that's why it stuck out as being something to check out when i visit them.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

Then in Albuquerque I like to spend the night and then hike up La Luz in the morning. Winter hikes to the summit are possible (pre-covid). I don't know about now though because of covid. But assuming the pandemic gets under control with a vaccine, then it should be doable. The view from the summit and winter snow at high-altitude are great in the winter. In the summer, you can see the monsoon rain forming in the distance coming from Grants or Belen. I love it up there.

But that hike is not for the feint-of-heart. It is 15 miles starting at about 6500 feet to 10678 feet (roundtrip). To me, it's worth it coming from Phoenix.
La Luz is usually snowbound and icy the last couple of miles or so until sometime in April. Bad idea. Only experienced hikers with specialized ice climbing equipment should attempt it. And I told you in another thread that hiking in NM is not restricted during the pandemic, except you can't go in large groups. There are tons of other easier and safer winter hikes to do in New Mexico, but the OP won't have time for it.

And OP, White Sands is not a city, it's a National Park. The whole point of National Parks is to get away from the cities, right?

To make the most of a short visit, choose ONE THING you definitely want to see: a National Park, a museum exhibit, an outdoor experience like a hike or horseback ride in a special place, the Very Large Array, Acoma Pueblo, whatever. Keep it simple, do it, and then you'll feel like you've accomplished something. Don't just wander aimlessly around and hope to have a rewarding experience.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:17 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Fredericksburg is a popular touristy area. German heritage, so quite a few German style buildings. Wineries. Then there is the Museum of History of WW2 in the Pacific. Great museum. Then you can see the home of LBJ. Very interesting tour. If that's not enough San Antonio and the Alamo are about an hour away. Austin is about 1 1/2 hour. LBJ presidential museum is there.. Neither Tx or NM are great tourist destinations, and both are huge states. So you have to be careful with planning vacations there, or you can do a lot of driving to see very little.
You don't know what you're talking about. I've been to Fredricksburg, it was very disappointing. It can't hold a candle to all that New Mexico offers.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:24 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
La Luz is usually snowbound and icy the last couple of miles or so until sometime in April. Bad idea. Only experienced hikers with specialized ice climbing equipment should attempt it. And I told you in another thread that hiking in NM is not restricted during the pandemic, except you can't go in large groups. There are tons of other easier and safer winter hikes to do in New Mexico, but the OP won't have time for it.

And OP, White Sands is not a city, it's a National Park. The whole point of National Parks is to get away from the cities, right?

To make the most of a short visit, choose ONE THING you definitely want to see: a National Park, a museum exhibit, an outdoor experience like a hike or horseback ride in a special place, the Very Large Array, Acoma Pueblo, whatever. Keep it simple, do it, and then you'll feel like you've accomplished something. Don't just wander aimlessly around and hope to have a rewarding experience.
Solid point

Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,302,774 times
4 h 6 min (224.3 mi) via US-60 E and US-70 E Phoenix to Mule creek New Mexico scenic drive through mountains , see the two houses and One post office in Mule Creek turn around go back to Surprise AZ see spring training Baseball ,

Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Quote:
You're right. I meant San Antonio. I have friends in SA so that's why it stuck out as being something to check out when i visit them.
It's probably the nicest small town in Texas. It has sort of been taken over by retirees and out of state people but it is certainly a nice place to visit. Most of the towns in the Hill Country are worth checking out imo.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:20 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:
I'm one of those people who want to go to every state in the country. New Mexico is an interesting one because I don't think I'd ever fly into New Mexico but more likely come from Phoenix area.

I could always come from Texas but the only place in Texas I plan on visiting near New Mexico is Odessa & that's just on the South East corner of New Mexico.

If I were to come from Phoenix area what would you recommend checking out?

I've thought of possibly venturing into Albuquerque since it's a well known city & anything worth checking out in that direction would be something I'd like to know.

I know Phoenix is about 6-7 hours from Albuquerque so I think the idea would be to fly into Phoenix & drive out there & stay a day. Then head back an opposite way (I40).

Btw this isn't a trip happening until at the earliest next Feb/March. Hopefully our situation with Covid is much better by then. '

Thanks for info.
there's not much to see or do in Midessa.I wouldnt come from Texas if you plan on visiting Midessa.I would come from Phoenix, Arizona.why do you want to visit Odessa?Best wishes and good luck with your trip.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
there's not much to see or do in Midessa.I wouldnt come from Texas if you plan on visiting Midessa.I would come from Phoenix, Arizona.why do you want to visit Odessa?Best wishes and good luck with your trip.

The best thing in Texas, besides either Don Henley or ZZ Top, is Orion Powersports of Fort Worth. A pit bike like a Speed Max 110cc is selling for only $739, fully assembled and delivered for free. Not a bad deal, eh?

https://www.orionpowersports.com/spe...embled-tested/

No, I'm not a salesman for Orion Powersports. It's just a great deal on an upper-midsize pit bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico