Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2020, 07:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
HA I heard Santa Fe was a dump with all kinds of crime.

I hope that this spurs some new cities in the West. I find the entire area to be massively under populated. We need some new cites and population centers so there isn't congestion.
You must be thinking of the other major city in New Mexico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 03:17 AM

282 posts, read 216,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
You must be thinking of the other major city in New Mexico.
Don't try to talk crap about Albuquerque. You have no idea what it's like here. It's a very beautiful city with lots going for it. Were in the middle of a development and construction boom right now, with a lot of high quality jobs being added in recent years. There are a few huge economic development projects on the horizon that will be creating even more high quality jobs. All of these attract newcomers who are much more welcome in Albuquerque than most other areas of the state. Albuquerque has always been the most welcoming and inclusive city in the state as far as newcomers. We have by far the most diverse population in the state and there's a reason for that. This helps to make Albuquerque the most dynamic, progressive and creative city in New Mexico. Again, don't try to talk trash about Albuquerque!

Old 10-05-2020, 04:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMex2020 View Post
I am not trying to be mean. Please do not move here! We have been overloaded in Santa Fe by people moving here from California, Texas and New York. You are driving up the prices, increasing the population and congesting traffic.

If you are from any other state and considering moving here, please, no. Thank you and good luck on your move!
I don't think it's as bad as you think. The job market was weak in NM even before the pandemic hit. That contrasts Denver up north, Austin and Dallas out east, or Phoenix out west. Those metro areas get far more people moving in because the jobs are there. It's not like that in NM. Trust me. I know. I tried my best to move there. Homes in ABQ are about 100K less than Phoenix for comparable square footage. But I couldn't get a job in software engineering long-term in the area. By contrast, Denver and Phoenix offered multiple job options during that search a year ago. I love NM but the jobs just weren't there for long-term employment - even for an experienced software engineer. I am now back in Phoenix which is hot as hell even in October. I miss hiking up La Luz this time of year or running in Santa Fe near Fort Marcy over the foothills.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:55 AM

14,941 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I feel the same way about Texas. Don't move here, either.
Or Florida. Already the third most populous state.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:34 AM

138 posts, read 145,555 times
How about this?

If you live in a sh?th*ole that you voted for and demanded it become a sh?th*ole in order to meet your personal needs or desires, and if you're tired of the sh?th*ole you had a hand in creating because of crime, high taxes, riots, structural decay, corruption or any of the other nice things sh?th*oles are famous for, please stay where you are and enjoy the sh?th*ole you wanted. Don't move to any other state and create a new sh?th*ole as there are already plenty of sh?th*oles around the country you can enjoy to your heart's content. Including the one you demanded and got.

At least that's the way I see it. I moved to NM in the last couple of months. But the last thing I want is any of the garbage I left behind. A couple of things would be nice. But I'd rather not have them than take all of the other stuff that generally follows.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
Don't worry, phydeaux, Alamogordo seems to have a built-in garbage-delete button that automatically generates to keep this place a small, fairly quiet town. For many people, Alamo wouldn't have what they need to feel fulfilled, enough ta do and so forth. So I'm not gonna get in to a "my town is better than your town" debate.

From the 5 years I've lived here in Alamogordo I see only positive growth, and very limited growth. Again, that wouldn't do it for many trying to find work here. Fortunately, I found medical work here and it's a very positive experience. Your mileage may vary, but phydeaux3 don't even begin ta worry about Alamogordo becoming a New World Order dump-pile.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:52 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMex2020 View Post
I am not trying to be mean. Please do not move here! We have been overloaded in Santa Fe by people moving here from California, Texas and New York. You are driving up the prices, increasing the population and congesting traffic.

If you are from any other state and considering moving here, please, no. Thank you and good luck on your move!
It's really too late, now, OP. This has been going on for decades. It began in the 60's, really, and hasn't stopped. But don't worry; as soon as the water runs out, they'll leave.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
HA I heard Santa Fe was a dump with all kinds of crime.

Don't believe anything you hear. If it were a dump, wealthy retirees wouldn't be flocking here from NY, CA, etc. Celebrities wouldn't live here, or have second homes here. Maybe you're confusing it with Albuquerque? Wasn't there a crime show on TV about ABQ?

Old 10-05-2020, 11:27 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,003,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
Don't try to talk crap about Albuquerque. You have no idea what it's like here. It's a very beautiful city with lots going for it. Were in the middle of a development and construction boom right now, with a lot of high quality jobs being added in recent years. There are a few huge economic development projects on the horizon that will be creating even more high quality jobs. All of these attract newcomers who are much more welcome in Albuquerque than most other areas of the state. Albuquerque has always been the most welcoming and inclusive city in the state as far as newcomers. We have by far the most diverse population in the state and there's a reason for that. This helps to make Albuquerque the most dynamic, progressive and creative city in New Mexico. Again, don't try to talk trash about Albuquerque!
I've never been so I can't talk bad about it or say anything nice about it. I consistently hear it is worse than Santa Fe though, and I have been to Santa Fe, and it is quite nice. Thus, I suspected that was what he meant when he said Santa Fe.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:22 PM

282 posts, read 216,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't believe anything you hear. If it were a dump, wealthy retirees wouldn't be flocking here from NY, CA, etc. Celebrities wouldn't live here, or have second homes here. Maybe you're confusing it with Albuquerque? Wasn't there a crime show on TV about ABQ?
Santa Fe has crime as well. It's worse than the national rate. Why do you find it so hard to believe that someone would think this about Santa Fe?? Albuquerque has a problem with crime but so does the entire state. Very few places in New Mexico have lower crime than the national rate, which is already high (only 7 cities to be exact - none of which are named Santa Fe). You've proven yourself many times before to know nothing about Albuquerque and trash it any chance you get, so why would you try to paint a picture of our city at all and then try to redirect an aspersion against Santa Fe towards Albuquerque?

Albuquerque has the safest city with the least amount of crime in New Mexico within its metro area, Corrales. Rio Rancho is also one of the few cities in New Mexico to have a lower crime rate than the national average. Two more of Albuquerque's suburbs are safer than Santa Fe, Edgewood and Bosque Farms. And the town of Bernalillo rounds out the list of 20 safest cities in New Mexico.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/safest-cities-new-mexico/

By zip code, 87122 in northeast Albuquerque is considered the second-best one in which to live in New Mexico behind 87544 in Los Alamos. As a matter of fact, 4 of the top 5 zip codes are in Albuquerque and 14 of the top 25 are as well.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

All of this to say that there are plenty of places in Albuquerque where crime does not reach and where it is very nice and safe to live, whether within the city limits or across the metro area. You can't paint Albuquerque with a broad brush as being a bad place to live, no matter how much some would like to.

As I said, Albuquerque is well on its way to being the booming, fast-growing city it has been for most of the last 150 years. Albuquerque has always embraced growth and newcomers. It is the greatest place in New Mexico for newcomers to find opportunity, a great lifestyle, great culture and all the best that New Mexico has to offer.

Last edited by Yac; 10-07-2020 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico