Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,005 times

Advertisements

I have been researching and found that Alamogordo is prone to flash flooding, and at times this flooding has been major... with that in mind can you guys give me a good idea of which areas towns to avoid. I do not want to end up purchasing a home that has been flooded and carries all the problems of a flood home. I also do not want to be in an area that floods easily. Any help will be appreciated. We are still looking to be there in June around the 12th, so hopefully I will have all my rsearch done by then. I have also been spending some time looking into Cloudcroft, my interest was sparked when I read a post that had a link showing Cloudcroft to have the #2 schools in the state of New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
I have been researching and found that Alamogordo is prone to flash flooding, and at times this flooding has been major... with that in mind can you guys give me a good idea of which areas towns to avoid. I do not want to end up purchasing a home that has been flooded and carries all the problems of a flood home. I also do not want to be in an area that floods easily. Any help will be appreciated. We are still looking to be there in June around the 12th, so hopefully I will have all my rsearch done by then. I have also been spending some time looking into Cloudcroft, my interest was sparked when I read a post that had a link showing Cloudcroft to have the #2 schools in the state of New Mexico.
When I was looking at properties last summer, I had asked about that also. During the 2006 major flood (which is not common), it seems that the area around Scenic/10th St/Abbot Ave took the brunt of the water. Where I ended up buying did not flood during that time, and neither did the north part of town. I didn't even consider housing in that area when I was researching.

But if I'm wrong, Jane (Chilegal) and Harry (6/3) can correct me. I do know that where I live now did not flood, as it is not at the foothills.

If the house flooded during that time, or any other time, the seller has to legally disclose that if they are aware of it. Check the seller's disclosure form carefully, and insist that it be filled out in its entirety. Property inspections can reveal prior flooding also.

Flash flooding can happen at any time in any part of town.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,933 times
Tell your realtor you DO NOT want in the flood zone. They have to respect that or you can get back at them.
OK, in the 10 years I have been there there has been 1 flood.
Abbott street on both sides of Scenic. Do not buy where an arroyo is. West of White Sands is the lower part of town, so think of that.
Also, some of the homes east of Scenic between 13 and 18th have a problem with settling.

If you have kids I would really think of CC.
Good luck,
Jane

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,092 times
It does not happen often. NM as a whole got alot of good rain that year.

video:

YouTube - alamogordo flashflood part1

YouTube - alamogordo flashflood part 2

Photo:
Alamogordo NM Flash Flood of June 2006 pictures from storms photos on webshots

Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Tell your realtor you DO NOT want in the flood zone. They have to respect that or you can get back at them.
OK, in the 10 years I have been there there has been 1 flood.
Abbott street on both sides of Scenic. Do not buy where an arroyo is. West of White Sands is the lower part of town, so think of that.
Also, some of the homes east of Scenic between 13 and 18th have a problem with settling.

If you have kids I would really think of CC.
Good luck,
Jane

So you agree that Cloudcroft is a better area to raise a family with its schools and all? Some of the videos that I have seen on Alamogordo (not just the flood videos) have me a bit scraed about Alamo. Not being from there, it is hard for to judge a good or bad area with online photos and descriptions.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,933 times
Your best bet is to go and see both areas and go with your gut feeling.
Good luck on your search. I do like Alamo even if some do not.
Jane

Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:

Go up on the mountain and get a good view of where the natural arroyos are. You can see where the water has to end up -- it has to go somewhere. It's not so much the amount of water, it's that the water goes where it's always gone, and if someone builds a house there, then they get flooded.

Also be careful because home builders should build correctly for the area. A house should be up off the ground at least 18 inches, and not just some dirt piled up, make sure the house sets higher up than the street. Some of the home builders just go cheap. The big developers will haul in dirt to fill in any arroyos and build a flat plane of homes, but nature will end up having it's own way.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
So you agree that Cloudcroft is a better area to raise a family with its schools and all? Some of the videos that I have seen on Alamogordo (not just the flood videos) have me a bit scraed about Alamo. Not being from there, it is hard for to judge a good or bad area with online photos and descriptions.
Cloudcroft is beautiful -- but then you have heating bills in the winter and you have to deal with forest fires and the anticipation of them. Forest fires happen -- just like storm water.

If it were me, I'd pick Alamogordo and take advantage of it's closeness to Cloudcroft pretty often.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:56 AM

146 posts, read 440,392 times
Just be smart where ever you live. Some things, you can't avoid, but minimize the hazards, and you'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:13 PM

215 posts, read 839,857 times
Minor flooding in Alamo is seasonal and common. Major flooding is rare, though certainly worth doing your homework on.

Forest fires near CC are common, but major ones that wipe out many homes are rare. I would guess there's a greater chance of losing your house to fire near the forest than to flooding in the desert.

Consider that NM public schools score low nationwide. Being No. 2 here may not be saying much. I'm near CC and know families who left the area because they were not happy with the schools. I know former CC teachers who sent their own kids down the hill for schooling. Other people like the schools here, often for reasons that cannot be measured by test scores. As always, statistics tell only part of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico