Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 10:17 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

791 posts, read 372,092 times

Advertisements

I was so taken back by the beauty of New Mexico.

I came upon Earth Ship while driving to the Rio Grande bridge - https://www.newmexico.org/earthships/

How do people in Northern New Mexico get water?

Not the earth ships but everyone else - I see ranches thousands of feet above any visible water source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 01:58 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Wells, individual and community.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 4 days ago)

791 posts, read 372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Wells, individual and community.
How deep? I see a desert with 4000ft of terrain to a barely flowing river?

They said Santa Fe gets between 4-15inches of rain per year.

It is a desert - how do these people get water for needs with all the habitation?

How does Albuquerque get enough water for all the people?

Old 10-24-2023, 08:26 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
There's ground water - quite a bit on the Taos side of the rio grande. There's a ditch dumping probably 100 gallons a minute onto an open pasture near my house. That's mostly soaking into the ground. I probably don't use 100 gallons a day.

So the earthships are something else... That side of the Rio Grande does not have ground water. It doesn't have city water either. Those people get their water trucked in. The earthship design using water recycling - which is ... uh cool in theory, sometimes faulty in practice.

Northern NM has a pretty good amount of water relative to counterparts in CO or AZ. There's quite a few streams in the area. If you want a headscratcher, look at Colorado Springs. The Rio Grande is huge compared to Fountain creek, which you can walk across and not get wet with waterproof boots haha.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:15 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
How deep? I see a desert with 4000ft of terrain to a barely flowing river?

They said Santa Fe gets between 4-15inches of rain per year.

It is a desert - how do these people get water for needs with all the habitation?

How does Albuquerque get enough water for all the people?

Wells, not sure of depth. They may occasionally take Rio grande water.

The coop that supplies my water has wells 300-350 feet deep. Some places go further. The village of Placitas still has an acequia system using spring water and runoff.

When I lived outside Detroit, we had a well only about 60 feet deep.

Old 10-25-2023, 09:22 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
160 years ago this is what they used to get water to their homesteads and crop fields. It's an irrigation ditch next to where I lived for 2 years. Northern New Mexico.

Water in Northern New Mexico-irrigation-valve-cropped.jpg

Old 10-25-2023, 11:18 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Albuquerque sits on top of an aquifer, and gets its surface water from the Rio Grande. The water-supply is usually a combination of the two, but when the Rio Grande is running high in the spring, the municipal water comes from there, allowing the aquifer to replenish. After a banner year for snowmelt we are back in extreme drought conditions so we're relying on the aquifer. As the largest city in the state we have the most stable water-supply and have not had water restrictions like other cities such as Santa Fe and Las Vegas.

There are various reservoirs around the state which store surface water and supplement the supply.

Still, 80% of New Mexico's water goes to agriculture, the rest goes to municipal systems and other industries. When there are shortages, cuts are made to agricultural users. When you think of "all the people" in Albuquerque, they still use only a drop in the bucket compared to water-intensive agriculture.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:30 AM

This is a helpful "tour" of Albuquerque's municipal water system:

https://www.abcwua.org/education-education-el_wsd_2/

The history of the San Juan-Chama Project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Ju...3Chama_Project

Old 10-30-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
160 years ago this is what they used to get water to their homesteads and crop fields. It's an irrigation ditch next to where I lived for 2 years. Northern New Mexico.

Attachment 246617
This is what is still used along the acequia systems around the state. Hundreds of them in the valley area in Albuquerque.

Old 10-30-2023, 02:47 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Interesting. No way could the wheels in the one in my photo be turned! There were actually 2 on the property but I don't have a photo of it (that I know of!) That one is much bigger than the one in the photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico