Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,933,939 times

Advertisements

95 #$%^&*!!! degrees here in Alamogordo.......

*Sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM

888 posts, read 1,190,045 times
An extended drought, would play havoc, on the already reduced Pinyon Pine tree population.
Not on mention the extreme fire danger!!
As long as it doesn't come down in Biblical proportions, we can deal with it.

Steve

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,485,597 times
Can the Pinon still be our state tree if it is extirpated from the state? :-)

Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 PM

492 posts, read 1,045,274 times
I came across this interesting 4-year-old thread while researching the current NM drought. Did the current one begin anew, or did the same drought continue and worsen?

In my research I found that ABQ's water rates are relatively low. Seattle's and San Diego's are the highest. ABQ and Sante Fe might get water cheaply from the San Juan-Chama project in the long run.

If the drought worsened and became the norm, I suspect people could cut back a lot further than they have. 100 gallons a day per capita, which Sante Fe uses, still seems like a lot. Cities/states needn't always grow in population either.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,975,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
If the drought worsened and became the norm, I suspect people could cut back a lot further than they have. 100 gallons a day per capita, which Sante Fe uses, still seems like a lot. Cities/states needn't always grow in population either.
Realistically, why would people cut back their use or waste? If it's there, they will use it. When it get expensive, they may cut back a bit,

Quote:
The NOAA National Climatic Data Center reports that the first seven months of 2011 have been the driest start to any year on record for New Mexico. The statewide average precipitation has only been 42 percent of normal through July 2011.
NWS ABQ - Drought Information

Rich

Old 08-24-2011, 08:39 AM

48 posts, read 90,041 times
Moved here about 18 months ago and considered the water situation a calculated risk. We expect water to become more scarce and expensive over time. That said, there is fairly outrageous waste of water that really cannot continue long term. Things like lawns fed by depleting aquifers, estate home with absentee owners with $$$ landscape water bills. NM will either provide water to those who can pay the most or create a more progressive model that conserves the resource for all. Wasting water on landscape will take care of itself. The more difficult issue is use of water to fuel growth...when Phoenix starts to depopulate we will have the answer.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowidle View Post
when Phoenix starts to depopulate we will have the answer.
Phoenix has already started to, thanks to that housing crash hitting especially hard there.

Has absolutely nothing to do with water, though.

I think you'll see cotton fields and dairies in that metro start to shutter up before Phoenicians tear up their lawns in appreciable numbers.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,045,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Realistically, why would people cut back their use or waste? If it's there, they will use it. When it get expensive, they may cut back a bit,
Yep. If people are wasting water, the solution is a base rate for basic usage, with exponentially increasing pricing beyond that. It could be that NM's (and AZ's) lack of water problem could vanish with different pricing.

Hopefully the current drought in NM isn't the new normal.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,121,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop
... water problem could vanish with different pricing.
At last; someone who agrees with me.

I felt so alone before.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,031,591 times
We have to haul our water. We use maybe 250 gals. / week. When you haul your own water you learn how to conserve it.
HW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico