Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Mexico: cost of living, taxes, safe area, organic produce, housing.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM

101 posts, read 355,990 times

Advertisements

I've spent several months looking at places to move and finally picked one
.....but I have a few concerns about it and I am just snooping around for other areas to compare it to.

I chose Floyd, VA.....but the taxes and government intrusion there scare me a little,
otherwise it meets all of my requirements. I don't know much about Northern NM, but Eagles Nest sounds kinda nice.
Anyone on these forums familiar with it?

I live in Roswell, and used to live in Albuquerque. I want to leave them both in the dust. I'm tired of brown, dusty, pokey plant places.

looking for:
*low cost of living
*small government, mostly conservative.....with LOW TAXES. I'm wanting to make my next move permanent.
*low crime rate
*gun friendly
*pet friendly
*pretty scenery, with low cost acreage available near WATER...MILD climate....not extreme either way
.....I do like to play in snow occasionally and prefer rolling foothills near mountains.
I also like hunting, kayaking and rock climbing.
*rural, yet vibrant community with artists, artisans, self-reliant homesteader types and musicians
....within a 30 min. drive of a larger community (30k to 150k people) for business/shopping purposes
*access to organic produce, meat and raw goat's milk
*no big box stores or blacktop jungles. I like a town with some character, slow pace of life and interesting architecture.
*a decent hardware store and a nice restaurant or two.
*NOT a dry county, I like wine with dinner.

Choices so far have been:
#1 Floyd or Boones Mill, VA
#2 Townsend, Tullahoma, or Johnson City, TN
#3 Mountain Home or outskirts of Fort Smith or Fayetteville, AR
#4 Corvallis, Coos Bay, Roseburg, Astoria, Seaside or La Pine, OR
#5 Florence, Rock City, Gadsden or Mentone, Alabama
#6 Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
#7 Poteau, OK

#8 Considering Taos, Eagles Nest, Pecos, Chama, Raton or Farmington, New Mexico. I know Taos and the northern areas have a stigma of being expensive Santa Fe and Taos especially), but I want to hear it from people who actually live there before I believe it as fact and discard them from my list.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Not sure of all that Taos offers, but it sounds nice. I am very into organic foods and earthship structures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Well, Taos has earthships and a better than average health food market but it probably doesn't meet all your other looking for requirements.

Not inexpensive; not terribly conservative; fine with use of guns; very pretty scenes, north and south; above average pet friendly; large number of artists and artisans; good outdoor sports within driving distance; has a box-store; is 68 miles to Santa Fe over the mountain; not dry; has about two dozen restaurants worth eating in regularly; and three hardware stores.

It's the first two (inexpensive) and (conservative) that might not please you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCitySearchName View Post
I've spent several months looking at places to move and finally picked one
.....but I have a few concerns about it and I am just snooping around for other areas to compare it to.

I chose Floyd, VA.....but the taxes and government intrusion there scare me a little,
otherwise it meets all of my requirements. I don't know much about Northern NM, but Eagles Nest sounds kinda nice.
Anyone on these forums familiar with it?

I live in Roswell, and used to live in Albuquerque. I want to leave them both in the dust.

looking for:
*low cost of living
*small government, mostly conservative.....with LOW TAXES. I'm wanting to make my next move permanent.
*low crime rate
*gun friendly
*pet friendly
*pretty scenery, with low cost acreage available near WATER...MILD climate....not extreme either way
.....I do like to play in snow occasionally and prefer rolling foothills near mountains.
*rural, yet vibrant community with artists, artisans, self-reliant homesteader types and musicians
....within a 30 min. drive of a larger community (30k to 150k people) for business/shopping purposes
*no big box stores or blacktop jungles. I like a town with some character, slow pace of life and interesting architecture.

#6 Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
#7 Poteau, OK

#8 Considering Taos, Eagles Nest, Pecos, Chama, Raton or Farmington, New Mexico. I know Taos and the northern areas have a stigma of being expensive Santa Fe and Taos especially), but I want to hear it from people who actually live there before I believe it as fact and discard them from my list.

Not sure of all that Taos offers, but it sounds nice. I am very into organic foods and earthship structures.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM

great reply...thank you.

I'm an odd blend actually......I am financially, politically and religiously fairly conservative....but socially I'm pretty liberal. I don't care what people do.....as long as they leave me alone. Politically I'm a Constitutionalist/Libertarian. I am VERY much in favor of SMALL government.....thats really the only reason I mention the conservative thing. Gay or hippie or whatever doesn't bother me at all.

Are there any outlying areas where the housing isn't so expensive?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Expensive is so subjective. I have an acquaintance down Roswell and she said she couldn't afford to come back to Taos--way too dear.

In the area south, less expensive, but too under-developed to meet other wants/needs; to the north, probably still some affordable places (near Questa); to the east, more ski valley prices, not really liveable (Angel Fire, Eagle's Nest); and to the west, I think there are some affordable towns--small but hard to get into and out of. In Taos, you can rent to get a feel for the place.

Quote:
great reply...thank you.

I'm an odd blend actually......I am financially, politically and religiously fairly conservative....but socially I'm pretty liberal. I don't care what people do.....as long as they leave me alone. Politically I'm a Constitutionalist/Libertarian. I am VERY much in favor of SMALL government.....thats really the only reason I mention the conservative thing. Gay or hippie or whatever doesn't bother me at all.

Are there any outlying areas where the housing isn't so expensive?

Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Expensive is so subjective. I have an acquaintance down Roswell and she said she couldn't afford to come back to Taos--way too dear.

In the area south, less expensive, but too under-developed to meet other wants/needs; to the north, probably still some affordable places (near Questa); to the east, more ski valley prices, not really liveable (Angel Fire, Eagle's Nest); and to the west, I think there are some affordable towns--small but hard to get into and out of. In Taos, you can rent to get a feel for the place.
Thanks for all your input!...its appreciated.

I think I've just crossed NM off the list though. I didn't want to neglect any gems, so I thought I'd ask......but I've just found too much back east that I've fallen in love with.

Bye bye, NM......

Old 02-12-2007, 09:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Quote:
looking for:
*low cost of living
*low crime rate
*gun friendly
*pet friendly

#6 Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
#7 Poteau, OK

Id like to suggest Clayton. Were in the NE Corner, just south of Raton.
Cost of living is pretty low here, housing is very cheap too. I myself bought a 1300sqf house for under $45k. Our taxes are some of the lowest in the state, utilities are very cheap too. This is a pet friendly place, though you will get issued a citation for dogs roaming free without an owner around.
Acres of land are cheap here too, we have several Real Estate companies i can put you in touch with.
We do have excellent hunting, particularly with Antelope, but Elk and Deer are plentiful here too.
A hicup is, that we dont live 30 mins fro a town with 30k+ people. Though itll only take an hour or so to drive to Trinidad Colorado when the highway gets fourlaned, which theyre working on now.
We do have organic veggies for sale here, i think we have Goats milk too, but im not 100% sure of that.
We have some great restaurants here, and an excellent hardware store. Check my website in my profile for pics etc.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 AM

What a great website...thanks for sharing it!...

Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
No problems, hope you find what youre looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico