Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:51 PM

557 posts, read 2,611,222 times

Advertisements

We knew they were here but had never seen them in two years--Western Diamond Back Rattlesnakes--but discovered a dandy one under the juniper tree next to our road where we walk. This guy was olive green and 43 inches long! Husband shot him. Wondering how to discourage them (not the husbands, the snakes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
If I see any snakes, I will call you to come and safely remove them.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
What would you do if Nature combined snakes, ants and made them the size of dinosaurs. Then you might have reason to shoot a flying six legged snake the size of a bus. I suggest just leaving it be. You are too big to eat.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Exclamation Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

Was walking to down the short road to our hen house, and our of the corner of my eye..about 4 feet away in the shadow of a juniper moving toward me and then he stopped......

And I hotfooted it to my truck and got my trusty .22...walked back and he was working his way to the hen house.....well...sorry but....
those hollow points work well.....

42 inches...11 rattles....appears to be a Western Diamond Back....green color...I was told could be due to early molt and living under trees etc.

OUr cat also "used" to range down this way ...not now...staying inside.
The dog is getting snake shots this week....

Just way too close to the hen house, our house and me...
I knew that they are around...but this one was pretty big.....
We are looking to find some kind of repelent to spread around..

Would like to have a bunch of bull snakes around and more roadrunners...
need to round some up...

You "snake" lovers out there...come on down here and walk around for a while and see just how friendly you really think they are....

Watch yer step, esp. now going into Aug/Sept when these rascals start to shed and don't see well....

HW Happy and safe trails...
Attached Thumbnails
Rattlesnake Thread-img_4821-004.jpg   Rattlesnake Thread-img_4814-024.jpg   Rattlesnake Thread-img_4820-003.jpg   Rattlesnake Thread-img_4819-002.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Was walking to down the short road to our hen house, and our of the corner of my eye..about 4 feet away in the shadow of a juniper moving toward me and then he stopped......

And I hotfooted it to my truck and got my trusty .22...walked back and he was working his way to the hen house.....well...sorry but....
those hollow points work well.....

42 inches...11 rattles....appears to be a Western Diamond Back....green color...I was told could be due to early molt and living under trees etc.

OUr cat also "used" to range down this way ...not now...staying inside.
The dog is getting snake shots this week....

Just way too close to the hen house, our house and me...
I knew that they are around...but this one was pretty big.....
We are looking to find some kind of repelent to spread around..

Would like to have a bunch of bull snakes around and more roadrunners...
need to round some up...

You "snake" lovers out there...come on down here and walk around for a while and see just how friendly you really think they are....

Watch yer step, esp. now going into Aug/Sept when these rascals start to shed and don't see well....

HW Happy and safe trails...
wow, look at those rattles....

Nita

Old 07-20-2009, 09:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I generaly don't like shooting things but big snakes are not compatable with hen houses. I have to wonder if it could have been captured and relocated a couple of miles away.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Good shot.

Sometimes it's best to NOT play Marlin Perkins...

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM

246 posts, read 629,432 times
Wow living in NM we saw a few rattlers but never one that big. I wouldn't want him near my henhouse or animals either. Here we have copperheads, non aggressive for the most part but we don't tolerate any close to the house. It's just not worth the risk.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
Congratulations on killing a prime predator of mice and other rodents that serve to spread hantavirus and other diseases...not to mention crawling all around your house leaving little presents for you in pots and pans, etc.

Of course you don't want a rattlesnake in your chicken coop...who would? But it's pretty easy, in my experience, to hook and bag a snake, take it for a little trip up the road and let it go. Snakes are a very beneficial part of the natural world you're embracing, even though they're less than huggable. You're in their world, not the other way around.
Just consider a different solution to the problem next time.
I hope you took advantage of the situation and ate the snake. They're tasty.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Default Un hum...yeah...just go and grab um..carry the poor..

critter, put him into a bucket...remember this is a Western Diamond back..
almost 4 ft long....they do not like to be carried around etc.

just take him out a ways and let um go....right...and they will come back with their friends...obtw..there friends are around..

Sorry folks....NO...I live here...they came onto my area.....
weren't here when I moved here either....
Moving in to enjoy whatever I have.

So..I am supposed to just live in a walled apt. or something...cannot have a house in the country etc...

We put up with . millions of flying ants, blackwidows, trantulas, other spiders, scorpions, mosquitos, etc.

The WDB can cause a lot of pain, suffering, and for some folks, like my wife would Kill her due to her lower immune system...

The roaches, snakes etc. will always survive long after mankind is gone..

But for me and my family...I will protect them..

HW...Happy safe trails..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico