Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,748 times

Advertisements

Jim,
Sorry Alamo was not to your liking. Hope you do find just the right place for you.
DH got a no seat belt ticket in Alamo. And he admited it was his fault and dealt with it. Laws are there for a reason. And he still loves the area. But it would be the same with a speeding ticket or what ever, it can leave a sour taste with you.
Good luck on your hunt for just the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Poor innocent city! It wasn't the city's fault it happened to rain every day I was there!
Sounds as if you were in the Seattle area!

OTOH, it rains there "all month long" for several months in a row!

Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,615,034 times
Ah Alamogordo....what is there not to like? The Applebys, the dust devils, the relentless wind in the spring and the dashboard melting heat in the summer. The group of 100 that run the town and make all the decisions, cops, cops and more cops, the delightful and ever present rednecks. The vibrant mall with so many goods from afar your eyes will be dazzled. Boles Acres is the place to be! Farm living is the life for me!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,840,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Ah Alamogordo....what is there not to like? The Applebys, the dust devils, the relentless wind in the spring and the dashboard melting heat in the summer. The group of 100 that run the town and make all the decisions, cops, cops and more cops, the delightful and ever present rednecks. The vibrant mall with so many goods from afar your eyes will be dazzled. Boles Acres is the place to be! Farm living is the life for me!
The first time I saw White Sands Mall, I was literally stunned. That was considered the shopping mecca of Alamo.

When it comes to functionality and towns, Alamogordo is an 'out of the box' model. No customization or increased functionality. Typical military town. It's not exclusive to Alamogordo, though. The trait is typical of that of a town that has a lot of people in-processing and subsequently out-processing through the military, which is to say, putting down roots is not a big priority. And that's reflective in the long term vision of the planners and the inhabitants of the town.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:09 PM

433 posts, read 1,144,745 times
One of my major gripes is that Alamogordo has 2 grocery stores for a town that size. Other than that I rather like Alamogordo. I love the view of the mountain from my house. If I want to go somewhere my hubby will drive to Las Cruces. I feel that if I lived in a big city it would take just as much driving time to get to where I am going as it does to get to Las Cruces. I don't mind the drive. I think it is much better than hitting a lot of red lights and dealing with traffic. I don't particularly like ANY mall. I'm not a clothes horse or anything like that. My favorite store is Lowe's hardware and we have one in Alamogordo so I'm happy.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:13 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,897,500 times
I wish we had more choices for groceries, too, as well as a Sam's Club, but that will never happen here. My biggest gripe overall, however, is the lousy, sorry, bland, totally tasteless restaurants. I have been back to some I originally liked, and on second visit (with the lone exception of Margo's), just absolutely terrible.

Margo's isn't anything to write home about. It's just better than most.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:53 AM

433 posts, read 1,144,745 times
I like Tia Lupes. They have chile rellenos like you used to get at Alfredos in the 70's.I can't eat at Margos. I always get a certain problem and I wonder if they use a bit of MSG in some of their foods. Mom's on first street used to be my favorite place to eat but since she died it has gone down. The last time we went for Huevos they used canned green sauce and canned beans. It was awful!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,897,500 times
I tried Tia Lupe's once. The chips were nice and thin, hot...but the salsa was flavorless and bland, very little fire.

They brought my green chile enchiladas out on a ceramic plate--a COLD ceramic plate, and the cheese on the INSIDE of the enchiladas was not even melted, let alone on top. They were also stingy with the cheese, and liberal with the bland, cheap rice. Beans were barely warm, with almost no flavor.

You must have gone on a good day. I've heard mixed reviews from others, too, ranging from terrible to wonderful!

I have never gone to Mom's. I'm getting to the point where I hate to try any place! LOL!!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:58 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I'm getting to the point where I hate to try any place! LOL!!
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been a good German restaurant open in Alamo - or maybe there is and I haven't heard of it?

Also, have you tried the newer BBQ place on the west side of the relief road?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:15 AM

131 posts, read 447,532 times
Heading back to Alamo next month to visit our property in the mountains. I look forward to someday settling out there. My feeling personally is that Alamo has enough to offer in that you have Home Depot, Lowes, Gerald Champion Medical Center and I suppose places to get your car repaired. I have found the people to be pleasant and helpful. Courtesy seems to still exist there and a handshake still means something. I wouldn't have considered this area if my focus was on entertainment or dining. I kind of think of Alamo as a base camp for outdoor life in the Sacramento Mts and New Mexico in general. It strikes me as a good place to mind your own business, not try to change anything or anyone and enjoy the natural beauty the area offers. The area in general is much more affordable but you may need to assess what you view as value. If I was to attempt a business I'd try to fill gaps in entertainment and dining, something I researched extensively but decided against. As for me I think I'll be happy to let Alamo be Alamo and fit in around the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico