Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 471 times

Advertisements

I got an email from housing connect about an apartment that I applied for. One of the documents I’m having a hard time getting is a Section 8 transfer voucher. When I went down to the Section 8 office I was told that it would take 10 to 14 days, so they just gave me a paper saying that I applied. When I called housing connect and explained the worker told me to just send what I have. When I sent all my documents, I was rejected right away. When I looked at the reason why it states that I don’t have all my documents because they need the breakdown of what Section 8 will pay and if I’m qualified for that rent amount. I called housing connect and the worker said that they can’t process my documents until Section 8 give me the paperwork that I need. I still have a week before my deadline. I put in for an appeal but I still need that Section 8 document. I’m so worried and it seems like Section 8 and Housing connect doesn’t work together at all and don’t care if a person lose that chance of getting into a brand new building. It’s very hard here in New York City to get that chance. Please tell me how can I get that document that I need from Section 8 so my paperwork can still be processed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 06:15 AM

15 posts, read 8,229 times
Check DM

Old 11-15-2023, 02:23 PM

10 posts, read 6,412 times
Definitely appeal but unfortunately this is something a lot of people have to deal with when they have a voucher. Housing connect literally waits on nobody and don’t understand that things take time in the world of government assistance. Please following up with section 8 DAILY and appeal, all hope is not lost.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:37 AM

52 posts, read 44,089 times
What they are looking for is a breakdown of what Section 8 will pay based on the number of rooms available.

I found this site that allows you to put your zip code and shows the different rental amounts and it's from HPD directly. I have an HRA voucher and had to provide something like this also, but it was with their letter head. So, i'm wondering if HC will need that also. Doesn't hurt to ask or try.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/hpd/service...standards.page

Old 11-16-2023, 04:04 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Submit what documents you have for the deadline. Including a copy of the paper they gave you saying you applied. If you put in for an appeal already with it, send a copy of the paper along to them.

Section 8 is a federal government program. It’s is from Washington DC.
Call 311 or use the internet to learn who represents you in Congress if you don’t know already. It’s based on your address. Contact your congress member’s office, call their local NY office. Ask for guidance with the Section 8 matter. They might have a way to expedite matters with NY Section 8 offices.

Retain what your learn about this. Keep a file for yourself. You might need to update each year, and very likely anytime the voucher dollar amount changes. It seems likely you will need this document again when you apply for other buildings. Many people who get into new buildings have applied to many buildings before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery