Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2024, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 634 times

Advertisements

So I was approved for a lottery apartment for me and my mother. My mother has section 8 which I am under as well. During the process of giving documentation, I informed marketing agent that we still needed the section 8 voucher move approval as well as the landlord package. She said we can leave that until the end, she informed us we were approved for AMI 165% unit and viewing. We viewed the apartment and was asked if we wanted to proceed I said yes but I reminded them about the voucher not being ready yet, they explained that we can signed the lease and when the voucher comes in and landlord package they will sent it back to the section 8 office. I declined because as far as my knowledge section 8 says we can’t signed any lease without their approval first, they said they will give me a few days to see if I can contacted section 8. I went to section 8 office and they said I can’t until they review if I’m eligible to move, I show section 8 office the email of approval of the apartment. So I explain to the marketing agent section 8 says we need to wait for an approval, she then informs me that I can signed a contentious lease so they can hold the apartment for us until section 8 provides paper work. She says I don’t need to pay deposit but this is to hold the unit and is the same lease as before. So now I feel I am being played with. I clearly stated I can’t sign any kind of lease, I understand if it was an agreement to give a hold deposit and me and landlord signed but they are really wanting me to sign the same lease… this sounds fishy. I truly don’t even understand the lease agreement to hold the apartment as well … why didn’t she put this on writing but called me instead to supposedly explain step by step.

Are they trying to scam me, has anyone had a lottery apartment while receiving section 8 subsidy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 01:32 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,713,637 times
Because Section 8 is Federal rental subsidy I suggest you contact your member of the US House of Representatives (US Congress) for constituent service assistance. If you have difficulty locating who is your member of the US House of Representatives call 311.

NY State administrates the Section 8 program for NY residents. So, you can contact your assembly person and/or NY state senator for assistance also. Call 311 to locate contact info.

Perhaps someone who represents you in government can assist in making things happen here.

You can use the search this forum for posts and threads about Section 8, and other vouchers, and lottery apartments. This is faster way it learn about the concern then waiting for people to write new posts. People with Section 8 do get lottery units. But there are also circumstances when the voucher amount is not enough. If you were offered a lease it’s likely you qualify.

Old Today, 03:47 PM

36 posts, read 31,054 times
This is not the first time hearing about this situation,but I would def contact section 8 to see what they say about it. I hope all goes well for you and your mom to get the apartment.

Old Today, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 8,671 times
You can sign the contentious lease my mom has section 8, she moved in a new building last year. Take your approval letter to section 8, show them u was approved, ask them for an emergency move package they will provide it. My mom got everything done with section 8 in 2 days after u are given the move package and watched the video, give the package to the new building and u then wait for section 8 to approve the apartment when they inspect it. Thelottery apartment will hold unit for u.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery