Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
I love the Bronx

The presence of these poor people in the Bronx can not be ignored as their conduct and street lifestyles are too much "in your face" to miss or tolerate. This demographic unfortunately dominate and have a strong-hold on the Bronx hence giving its horrible reputation. This is a perfectly good reason as to why white people are afraid to move here. It's like a culture shock for them. And if they do gather enough courage to move to the Bronx, being in the minority or the "only white person on the block" isn't a good feeling to have.
I was staying in Pelham Bay for 2 months and just taking the 6 train everyday was always unsettling when I looked around and realized I was the only white guy in my train car. So I can imagine very few who would be willing to be the only white guy or family on the block. However, like Bluedog said there are many diverse nabes in the Bronx but you have to look for them. They are not in your face like Soundview, University Heights, The Hub, Wakefield, Hunts Point, East Tremont-West Farms or the many housing projects and tenements most people see as the Bronx. Even Parkchester threw me off. What I first thought were housing projects in Parkchester is actually a private owned apt. complex for mixed income residents and has a very diverse residential make up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 11:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The Bronx is an old, ugly looking, gritty, dirty place with many high crime neighborhoods. Most of the borough looks the same, in other words, ghetto. You have Latino and blacks throughout the borough, with little white enclaves far away. So the diversity is pretty low, unless you enjoy seeing Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans all over the place. Too many buildings and housing projects. Too many people on some kind of assistance. Too many drug dealers and drug addicts. Too many people with aids...etc etc

Atleast in other boroughs the ghetto does not make up the majority. The non-ghetto neighborhoods also don't look the same as the ghetto ones (unlike the Bronx where even Riverdale looks like Fordham).

The Bronx is tough. It's just a tough, grim, gloomy place.
Where is Bronxguyanese or Sobroguy? You gonna get it when they see this post.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
The Bronx is an old, ugly looking, gritty, dirty place with many high crime neighborhoods. Most of the borough looks the same, in other words, ghetto. You have Latino and blacks throughout the borough, with little white enclaves far away. So the diversity is pretty low, unless you enjoy seeing Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Jamaicans all over the place. Too many buildings and housing projects. Too many people on some kind of assistance. Too many drug dealers and drug addicts. Too many people with aids...etc etc

Atleast in other boroughs the ghetto does not make up the majority. The non-ghetto neighborhoods also don't look the same as the ghetto ones (unlike the Bronx where even Riverdale looks like Fordham).

Doesn't manhattan have a higher rate of aids then the bronx. Last time I checked manhaatan had more aids than some industrialized countries like greece or portugal.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON5 View Post
I have heard that out of all the boroughs, the Bronx is the most disliked. Why is this? Is it because it's the poorest borough? The less aesthetically pleasing?

I live in Parkchester and don't find the Bronx that bad or ugly, but I definately want to move to queens or maybe even brooklyn after I graduate from university in 3 yrs. because I don't think it's a good area for my career and socially it's pretty dull compared to queens and brooklyn.

Also some other questions if you can answer them.
Is the Bronx in improvement, or decline? What do you think of the Bronx? What do you think of job opportunities in the borough? Is it an ideal location for a young adult looking to begin career?
When you finish school go to astoria its a great area one of my favorite neighborhoods in queens, great food, nightlife and pretty women . If you want move to wiliamsburg brooklyn I hope the bed bugs bite yah!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 AM

I agree with this bronx historian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksLnA...e_gdata_player

Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
The "hidden gems" of South Bronx can be found along Simpson St. Suburban style new homes and leafy streets but if you look closely theres bars on many windows...In my opinion these new single family homes, fedders or whatever was a terrible mistake by the city, the South Bronx lost its identity. The city is taking steps now towards "project style" housing again(6-8 story bldgs) which looks like cardboard boxes with windows, but they are a better alternative than the "suburban style" houses that was created in the 90s. The "cardboard boxes" can be found along Washington Ave in Morrisania if youre interested checking them out.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM

The bronx is part of thee american experience people move in and people move out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5V7...e_gdata_player

Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:

Huge exaggeration. Too many people with aids. You say that as one of your gripes? Really?

Personally the bad about the bronx is overhyped especially when you visit ghettoes in other cities. The bronx is like the little guy hiding behind the glass, posing as the wizard of oz. Its the southwest bronx thats Moderator cut: Language not the entire borough the east and the north is good money

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-22-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Its the "South Bronx" that has stigmatized the entire borough.

Asthma is also a serious problem in South Bronx. Blame it on those diesel trucks that drive day and night down to Hunts Point. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/54283.php

21-23%!!!

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-22-2011 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
The non-ghetto neighborhoods also don't look the same as the ghetto ones (unlike the Bronx where even Riverdale looks like Fordham)..
Anyone who could say that Riverdale looks like Fordham has an astounding lack of knowledge of The Bronx.Have you ever even been to Riverdale?

http://realestate.nytimes.com/sales/...Bronx-NY-10471

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-22-2011 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City