Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 PM

206 posts, read 294,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I hear that fairly frequently, and it always makes me wonder when we'll arrive at that point when things really do get violent.
It starts with the young people who haven't become disillusioned, and who have less and less of a stake in society as time progresses, while seeing their tuition raised and their job/medical prospects whither.

Thats what we've seen in the Arab Spring, the London student protests, the Chilean student protests, etc.

People working two jobs with a family are too stressed/busy to take a stand. Unless they are about to be put out on the street, people will keep trying to do something tangible like provide for themselves and their family before doing something abstract like protesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
I was down there earlier today..they're gonna be there all week, not just one day. I fully support what they're doing, will pop down during the week to protest when I can..

Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM

224 posts, read 347,677 times
Thank God these broke losers were forced to protest away from Wall Street. Don't these freaks know that half Wall Street is now residential? What good would disturbing high income/tax contributing residents of Wall Street on a Saturday do? Good job NYPD for blocking off Wall Street.

What a bunch of losers these protestors are.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 AM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
Thank God these broke losers were forced to protest away from Wall Street. Don't these freaks know that half Wall Street is now residential? What good would disturbing high income/tax contributing residents of Wall Street on a Saturday do? Good job NYPD for blocking off Wall Street.

What a bunch of losers these protestors are.
well, as one of those "losers" I disagree. they're showing a lot of spirit. they're standing up to the bankers, the same bankers who ripped off EVERY american, high income and low. yes, I saw some residents have to show ID just to go home. it was inconvenient, but, so is getting deeply poopy-rammed by goldman sachs and company.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
This will not change anything. If you want to rattle Wall Street take your money out of all the banks, don't buy anymore stocks, don't shop anymore, etc.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 AM

115 posts, read 393,964 times
Has people not realized that the majority of "Wall Street" does not happen at the physical location of Wall St? I mean, I work on "Wall Street" and don't even work in the STATE of New York

(I work in Jersey City - I'm in tech, so that's where they send us non-producers ) When protesters show up outside my building, I'd be AMAZED. (and very annoyed)

Old 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM

I think people are overlooking the symbolic nature of what an occupation of Wall St would mean. Some people had to show I.D.'s to get home...cry me a river.

This is a non-violent protest which is getting zero media attention. If people spend an hour there themselves they would have a different opinion.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 AM

224 posts, read 347,677 times
I guess I can kind of understand some of the hatred from people who don't live in NYC.

But New Yorkers, this city would quickly revert to the dump it was in the 70s if Wall Street were to be suddenly dismantled. Some of you clearly have no idea how much Wall Street alone carries this city and makes it the sparkly rich world force of a city it is.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
I guess I can kind of understand some of the hatred from people who don't live in NYC.

But New Yorkers, this city would quickly revert to the dump it was in the 70s if Wall Street were to be suddenly dismantled. Some of you clearly have no idea how much Wall Street alone carries this city and makes it the sparkly rich world force of a city it is.
Wall St is no savior. No one is calling for a dismantling of Wall St, only for the banks to actually pay taxes.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
This will not change anything. If you want to rattle Wall Street take your money out of all the banks, don't buy anymore stocks, don't shop anymore, etc.
But...but...isn't the goal of the Day of Rage to draw people's attention away from the actual, effective strategies you've mentioned? I suspect so, because we don't see anything in the media about the formation of an Anti-Consumer Party.

(Taking your money out of their banks gets easier every day--particularly with interest rates now being paid at less than 1%. I can't wait to see which bank will be the first one to declare that they're not going to pay any interest at all. I suppose they'll come up with some euphemism like "power savings" to disguise their insidious plans!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City