Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,550,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Where did I say that public sector jobs were increasing? I said no such thing. I said the public sector wasn't going to be eliminated, and that in some capacity someone will always have to do those jobs.

With that said, I do agree with you that given the hardship's in the current economy Blacks will have to prepare well to even get very basic jobs, much less more lucrative private sector jobs (or even higher level public sector jobs).

We are talking about unemployment. So if a sector is not growing then it becomes hard for people to find employment within that sector. So to say that the public sector isn't disappearing is beside the point. If few jobs are being created then how do those who do not have jobs find them? Isn't it better for those seeking employment to align themselves to the extent possible with sectors which are growing. Is it not also fool hardy to be over represented in a sector which is shrinking?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,550,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The funniest case I ever heard of a Black man threatening to take his kids away was at the dentist. .

And so what needs to be told is that we don;t have 70% of the black kids running around not knowing who their father. Yes there is a problem within a certain segment of the black community, but issues are usually more complex than some would have it be.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM

169 posts, read 490,114 times
I didn't read through this entire thread...but I wil say this..I am a Local 3 UNION electrician...great pay, benefits..etc. And my union DEFINITELY takes in minorities...we have a Spanish club...blackclub..women's club..Asian club...etc.

Also, we have minorities that are active in the political side of the union which usually ends up with them making extra $$$$..Sadly, I never went that route!!! hahaha

BUT..to get this job you NEED to have graduated high school/GED...you need basic math skills...they do test you. AND, you need to go to apprentice school for 5 1/2 years.....go to work everyday and on time...and do what you are told, period!!!

And we have ALOT of black guys and WOMEN in Local 3 doing VERY well for themselves!!!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
We are talking about unemployment. So if a sector is not growing then it becomes hard for people to find employment within that sector. So to say that the public sector isn't disappearing is beside the point. If few jobs are being created then how do those who do not have jobs find them? Isn't it better for those seeking employment to align themselves to the extent possible with sectors which are growing. Is it not also fool hardy to be over represented in a sector which is shrinking?
For those seeking employment in fields that pay well, you'd need to like and/or be talented in that field if you want to make lots of money in the private sector.

The creative sector in NYC is growing. But this sector is not for everyone. Ditto for the tech sector. There are a lot of non profit organizations. For these types of jobs you had to have done the right internships, volunteer experiences, etc to be able to get these types of jobs.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yet liberal arts professors despair that fewer people are enrolling, preferring STEM or business oriented majors as being more likely to result in a job. The exceptions being the Ivy League schools which have very strong programs to assist their graduates to find jobs. Both by massive assistance in training them in how to find a job, and also have companies recruit from those schools.

But NYwriter, most people are not going to be like you and I, with Ivy degrees, so what of them?

Note that Oprah isn't trying to get her first job out of college in 2014 so I don't see how her example is relevant. In any case I am sure that even she will tell people that following her foot steps is very risky, and she had as much luck as she had talent. Jackee Harry would emphasize that even more, given the vagaries of an acting career. John Legend, ditto. All three possess skills that few people have, so are poor examples.

The fact remains that people who lack the level of social connections, where they can call some one who knows them to get recommended for a job, cannot afford to not have a skill when looking for one. This is why immigrants, and those from lower middle class backgrounds can ill afford to be history majors, unless they plan to teach.
Yes, they can very well afford to be history majors. My mother was lower middle class and my degree is in History, from an Ivy League no less. And I absolutely am happy I did it. And I never had ANY interest in teaching.

Here is how those people with humanities degrees from top universities get good jobs, and this could happen just as well as if they went to CUNYs.

Many of them have come from two parent stable homes where the parents cultivate intellectual and other interests. So while they are in high school many of them spend the summers doing things like volunteering in churches, going to various camps, study abroad, summer college programs, etc. In short, they are doing things that would look good on a RESUME BEFORE they are even in college, and these things will help them get into top programs.

While they are in college they get good internships. Having a good internship can get your foot in the door, and if you intern at a major company in NYC or even a major non profit you build up professional contacts and learn a lot about that particular field or industry. You don't necessarily have to go to a top university to get good internships.

My internship was in the IT department of ABC News, and yes it helped get me jobs.

In addition to writing (yes, I do private sector work), I've been active enough with non profits in various capacities. And this helped lead to other private sector work.

I notice though in the organizations in which I am active, though Blacks are there they are rare. I think too many immigrants and poor Blacks don't know anything about what it takes to launch careers, so they don't encourage their children to volunteer, take summer classes, get strategic internships and so they end up being poor candidates compared to their competitors. They seem to think that the degree itself is enough to get a good job. It's not, even if it's a STEM degree.

A white friend of mine with a STEM degree has been doing research in places like Indonesia, Central America, and Southern Africa. He's doing this after getting his undergraduate degree and before graduate school. I'd known others with STEM degrees who did various types of research around the world, even in summer programs before graduating.

Working class students from poor immigrant backgrounds or poor Blacks at state schools don't do these things so when it's time to apply for work or grad school they end up looking like inferior candidates.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
1. Black Hispanics normally do not include themselves as part of the black community, even when they concede that their skin color is black. They certainly are NOT included in statistics concerning black people. Indeed the normal rant I hear from black Hispanics is their objection to being included with other blacks, simply because ODR rules in the USA make them black, and indeed many deny that they are black.

2. Only you will imagine that I exclude Africans from my analysis. Put it this way, if you find blacks from the English speaking Caribbean so alien that you cannot begin to identify with them then you know full well that your views towards Africans will be even more extreme.

3. Most blacks in NYC live in majority black communities. NYC being among the 5 most segregated cities in the USA. If you feel offended by that notion I cannot help you.

Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

This looks at the entire metro areas of cities, so encompasses blacks who have moved to the suburbs. Even when we consider this the NY area is one of the most segregated.

4. Black Americans typically have much less to do with black Hispanics than they do with blacks from the English speaking Caribbean. I can and have rolled off names of people who black Americans identify as fellow blacks and even admire in some instances, despite their PART Caribbean origins. The number of black Hispanics who make that list is much smaller.
Please posts the stats showing that most NYC Blacks live in Black majority neighborhoods. Without stats, this is mere speculation on your part. An article claiming NYC is one of the 5 most segregated cities in the nation is not a statistical breakdown. Even if NYC is one of the most segregated cities, that still does not show the majority of Blacks live in Black majority neighborhoods.

Please show stats that most Black Hispanics don't identify as Black. Also, what is the Black community. I'm Black, and I have no idea what you mean by Black community.

Please provide statistical proof that Black Americans have less to do with Black Hispanics. This is speculation based on your part, but there's no actual proof. A number of Black Americans live in neighborhoods with Hispanics of all races, and as noted many Blacks in today's society marry non Blacks.

You are merely posting your personal experiences, but they are not necessarily the experiences of Blacks in general.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 PM

In terms of the socialization of Blacks, CaribNY, please provide statistical evidence that most Blacks in NYC don't have substantial contact in work, school, or other aspects of their lives with non Blacks. The top segregated list isn't proof.

Also, just because an article claims NYC is one of the most segregated cities in the nation DOES NOT mean it's true.

Some article says that 70% of Black children don't know their fathers, and that the vast majority of Black men run away screaming the instant they find out their girlfriend is pregnant. Are these articles accurate?

Whenever articles are written, there's both writer bias and publication bias. New York is the nation's financial capital and a major media center. That won't change, but you do find people desperate to bash NY to build up other parts of the country. And after doing this nonstop for decades, New York is still the nation's financial capital and most populous city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City