Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 12:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,761,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
I got Philo. It’s pretty goood.
Interesting. THeir line up reminds me of Pluto which I get for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 12:28 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,761,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I actually unbundled mine last week. Then a couple days ago, I received a letter about my promotion ending but showing a breakdown of all three services.

I called Spectrum to ask about it and the rep told me what I had, different from the letter (which made more sense). Anyway, she actually took an additional $20 off my bill for the next year.

I also switched to their mobile plan for $45 a month instead of T-mobile for $75, I get two weeks to try it first. We'll see how that goes. I guess I got lucky.
Think hard about their mobile plan. If they have an outage, you may be subject to losing it all. I like having my cellular data using a different service. Optimum was down 24 hours and I was at home on crutches. It would have been really awful for me had I had no phone, no data on my phone, no internet to stream... yikes. Something to consider.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:34 PM

55 posts, read 41,854 times
If you can (and most in apartments can't, but I'm in a house and can), switch to RCN and just shop around. It's gone up a little since then but two years or so back I was paying Spectrum 100+ for 300 Mbps, and when I switched I got a promo rate for 1.~ yr fr RCN that was ~49.99 for 1,000 (1 Gbps). I'm currently at ~65'ish now that the promo period expired but plan on calling up sometime and threatening to cancel to get it dropped when it verges too high for my blood.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,865,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Think hard about their mobile plan. If they have an outage, you may be subject to losing it all. I like having my cellular data using a different service. Optimum was down 24 hours and I was at home on crutches. It would have been really awful for me had I had no phone, no data on my phone, no internet to stream... yikes. Something to consider.
The only other option I would consider is Verizon and they are a rip off. I get 20% off through a corporate discount (helped with the taxes) and when I was upgrading my phone, those aholes told me that I would lose my discount. May made me switch to T-Mobile.

Should there be a an outage, worse case scenario, I use my work provided I phone.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:30 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,899,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
I don't think people in NYC really appreciate how many FREE channels with HD we get in NYC. Buy a cheap antenna, plug it in to the back of your LCD TV and Scan for local channels. It's amazing.

I get 70-75 FREE channels in the Bronx. Some of them are music channels or international language channels, but there are a couple Movie Channels like ION and many many local channels. Forever free!

it depends on where your apartment is situated also

there's a lot of people who don't get wpix channel 11, and that's free...

Old 04-19-2024, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 223 times
Try iptv services that would more better. I know someone who is providing cheap iptv services with 20000 channels. you can try dude!

Old 04-19-2024, 11:22 AM

2,984 posts, read 1,168,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa222 View Post
Try iptv services that would more better. I know someone who is providing cheap iptv services with 20000 channels. you can try dude!
Yeah I got that for the past 3 years saved a lot of money!

Old 04-24-2024, 06:14 PM

16,101 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Now that I remember I have been repeatedly told I would save approximately $0 with an internet only plan.

I attached the statement (personal info omitted) let me know if it's not visible.

I don't watch cable at all anymore only YouTube Hulu Netflix and Crunchyroll/VRV etc. All on demand stuff
Opinion:
Drop the service out of your name and add your spouse to internet only service.
If that doesn't work.
Drop the service for a competitor.

Worse case scenario?
Use your phone internet for a month.
Then reapply for home internet only service.
New Contract. Choice of provider.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:22 PM

3,504 posts, read 1,416,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Hence why I cut the cord years ago. Even with a kid who was around 8 at the time, the transition was less than a few weeks. Check out the Mohu Leaf as a digital antenna for broadcast.
Isn't cable tv a necessity? At least, that's what my uncle claims. Complains to us that he's always broke and begs us for money, but won't cut the cord. Apparently, he feels it's a necessity and can't give it up despite the fact that he can't afford it.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:55 AM

16,101 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Isn't cable tv a necessity? At least, that's what my uncle claims. Complains to us that he's always broke and begs us for money, but won't cut the cord. Apparently, he feels it's a necessity and can't give it up despite the fact that he can't afford it.
Opinion:

Cable TV is not a necessity.
One can survive with just the internet.

Simplest Example:

Get rid of cable box.
Keep only internet service.

Buy a smart TV
Example Roku TV set.
Attach it to your internet cable.
Log on with your credentials
using the remote.
Plenty of free apps that will
provide more than enough information.

Cost: Around $70 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City