Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,861,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think people aren’t really educated about why Hand washing works. The idea is that because we are often touching our face, nose, mouth, eyes, that even if we pick up germs on our hands, the frequent hand washing makes it less likely that we bring the germs in our body. I have to admit I didn’t know that for a while when I was younger.
Right but what makes this worse, she'd just used the bathroom....

Old 02-25-2020, 01:22 PM

144 posts, read 80,956 times
Thic coronavirus is making me so anxious.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:40 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57403890-post21.html
Quote:
Really don't want to read 'Prepper' threads again.
Sorry, I had to.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
So far, 14,000 people have died and 250,000 people have been hospitalized during the USA 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.Feb 14, 2020

Don't let the hype get to you...
Look at the above numbers and think about all of the people who don't even get the annual flu shot. Coronavirus is just a different strain of the influenza and a vaccine is already being tested for it.
Maybe so, but it's affecting our supply chain and stock market. And if people get critically ill, as many have in China, it puts a strain on our health systems. So whether we think it's the same as the flu or not, it's going to affect us much more than the flu does (especially because there is a vaccination for the flu and not this).

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

There's no harm in thinking about how to prepare. If you don't think about it and are caught completely unaware, there's not really any excuse as we've had weeks/months to figure things out

Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
So far, 14,000 people have died and 250,000 people have been hospitalized during the USA 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.Feb 14, 2020

Don't let the hype get to you...
Look at the above numbers and think about all of the people who don't even get the annual flu shot. Coronavirus is just a different strain of the influenza and a vaccine is already being tested for it.
At this point, the relative seriousness of COVID-19 to other variants of the flu isn't even the biggest issue. What matters is how governments and individuals are *reacting* to it, which is pretty serious and in many cases hysterical.

You may never catch the flu, but if people freak out enough here there could be quarantined cities that can't get food or medical supplies and massively disrupted supply chains.

Once we have an outbreak in the U.S. (outside of the current individuals under quarantine who were tested only because of where they traveled), just watch everyone completely lose it.

The test for this flu are also hard to come by and take time to get results back--your family doctor doesn't have access to this test yet most likely. I'm guessing if random sick people at hospitals started getting tested specifically for it we'll find it's already spreading here.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
At this point, the relative seriousness of COVID-19 to other variants of the flu isn't even the biggest issue. What matters is how governments and individuals are *reacting* to it, which is pretty serious and in many cases hysterical.

You may never catch the flu, but if people freak out enough here there could be quarantined cities that can't get food or medical supplies and massively disrupted supply chains.

Once we have an outbreak in the U.S. (outside of the current individuals under quarantine who were tested only because of where they traveled), just watch everyone completely lose it.

The test for this flu are also hard to come by and take time to get results back--your family doctor doesn't have access to this test yet most likely. I'm guessing if random sick people at hospitals started getting tested specifically for it we'll find it's already spreading here.
Estonia declared no quarantines. I think that’s best.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:15 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I’ve always had long shelf-life food stockpiled and the ammo to protect it. Manhattan and anywhere else with more density than home are off the list for us until if/when this blows over. I will start grabbing more canned food again starting with my next trip to Costco.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-25-2020, 03:20 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,749,994 times
We have a closet full of dried survival foods and a massive jug of water. As long as the water supply doesn't get tainted or shut down, we could survive months held up in the apartment.

We didn't buy the above for this outbreak, though, it was just to be prepped for anything, mainly natural disasters.

I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the city soon. Lots of Chinese here and such close living. The subway alone, OMG...

If it does hit, I am not going in any mass transit. I'll be teleworking.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:21 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,441,621 times
Big problem with NYC is that the city is highly depended on tourism, travel and dining. If the Corona Virus hits NYC. Expect the hotel industry, airport traffic, tourism sector, restaurant sectors to take a big hit. If Restaurants and tourist business take a big hit, expect that hit to affect landlords as well. My only advice for some especially those who have asthma, type 2 and type 1 diabetes, HIV/Aids, Sickle Cell, or any other ailment that compromise the immune system. Take your medication and watch your diet. NYC is full with people who have such disease I have mentioned. if such people don't manage their illments, expect them to die first from the Corona Virus.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:22 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,441,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
We have a closet full of dried survival foods and a massive jug of water. As long as the water supply doesn't get tainted or shut down, we could survive months held up in the apartment.

We didn't buy the above for this outbreak, though, it was just to be prepped for anything, mainly natural disasters.

I wouldn't be surprised if it hits the city soon. Lots of Chinese here and such close living. The subway alone, OMG...

If it does hit, I am not going in any mass transit. I'll be teleworking.
Avoid the 7 Train at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City