Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 06:48 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Definitely Long Island city with the exception of rent price. You can check rent prices on Streeteasy. https://streeteasy.com/for-rent/long-island-city

Second choice Upper East Side.

For a good first year experience I wouldn't cheap out on rent. Spend a little more the first year, get to know the city, meet some people and then move for your second year.
Also with the exception of public transportation, which I feel is not the greatest in LIC.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 09:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 542,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Also with the exception of public transportation, which I feel is not the greatest in LIC.
If someone is interested in good public transport in LIC then they can find an apartment in Court Square which has the E, M, G, and 7 train and is walking distance to Queensboro Plaza with the N, W and the F is also nearby too.

And the LIRR has a stop there and there are two ferry stops.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
If someone is interested in good public transport in LIC then they can find an apartment in Court Square which has the E, M, G, and 7 train and is walking distance to Queensboro Plaza with the N, W and the F is also nearby too.

And the LIRR has a stop there and there are two ferry stops.
The E and 7 are strong trains but they are overcrowded

M G N W F are not strong trains

LIRR stop and ferry stops need light rail connections.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
St. George
Why are you complaining about lack of public transport in LIC which has 8 train lines, LIRR and a ferry when you're recommending St. George which is on Staten Island and has no connection to the subway?

Old 03-22-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Why are you complaining about lack of public transport in LIC which has 8 train lines, LIRR and a ferry when you're recommending St. George which is on Staten Island and has no connection to the subway?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._George_Terminal

None of these options are overcrowded

From the ferry, you can connect to the 1, or the 4/5 lines, which are strong trains

You can also connect to the R but it's not a strong train

Old 03-22-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._George_Terminal

None of these options are overcrowded

From the ferry, you can connect to the 1, or the 4/5 lines, which are strong trains

You can also connect to the R but it's not a strong train
You missed where he asked for walkable to the metro. And an area good for dating.

But that’s ok. I know your goal is arguing to keep the conversation going like a good moderator should so I forgive your bad advice

Old 03-22-2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You missed where he asked for walkable to the metro. And an area good for dating.

But that’s ok. I know your goal is arguing to keep the conversation going like a good moderator should so I forgive your bad advice
Advice is good and advice is bad, its up to you to take it

Plus - I think San Francisco is very comparable to St. George. I will even venture to say that it's prolly the most West Coast feeling place on the East Coast.

Old 03-22-2024, 06:01 PM

1,243 posts, read 313,689 times
Quote:
Advice is good and advice is bad, its up to you to take it

Plus - I think San Francisco is very comparable to St. George. I will even venture to say that it's prolly the most West Coast feeling place on the East Coast.
Yooooooo!!!!

Never thought I’d hear ST George, SI compared to SF.

Shut this forum down. All time greatest moment.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:44 PM

25 posts, read 5,386 times
[quote=citylove101;66558055]It will be tough to rent an apartment, let alone get a mortgage to buy one, w/o a job. You might swing an all-cash purchase or maybe a rental with a big payment, like a year’s rent upfront, proof of independent income, or perhaps with a guarantor. But it will still be difficult, if not impossible. Moving here with no work isn’t recommended.]

He said he has money for a downpayment on a home in the range of 750k. Won't landlords / property managers approve a rental application based on a bank statement that shows sufficient money to pay the rent for 2-3 years or more and a good credit report? Anyone can become unemployed tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:09 AM

785 posts, read 484,232 times
If you're Asian, Flushing Queens is like living in Bejing. Nothing but Chinese for miles and miles and miles.

If you want to be in more American areas, for a transient I'd say the following: Astoria, LIC, Sunnyside, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Financial District, East Side/Upper East side Manhattan, Upper West Side Manhattan

There are no safe areas of NYC. None.

$750K for a house will get you the hood.

My biggest word of advice to any Asian moving to NYC, be careful of your surroundings. Over the last few years a lot of Asian people are being targeted by African American/Hispanics. Just a fact you should be aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City