Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 12:05 PM

20 posts, read 137,034 times

Advertisements

I have left the same post in NJ forum since I live in the metro area.

My niece is visiting in three weeks and she'll be staying with my parents for a month. It's her first time in USA and I doubt she speaks any English. Since my firm gives us 3 day weekends during summer, the tour guide duty has been assigned to me. I'm going to take her to Lion King, Little Mermaid, Natural History Museum, Niagara Falls, Six Flags, Ferry around NYC. I still need 4-5 more places to taker her. I'm not married and have no kids. I think she'll like some of the stuff I have planned for her but I have my doubts for some stuff. What do you guys take your 7-8 year old daughters? What do they like to do? This is the first time I'm seeing my niece face to face so I want to make a good impression and I want us to bond as a family.
I have a car. Any suggestings will be greately appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would add to the list for consideration: The Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, Central Park Carousel, perhaps a jaunt to Rye for Playland and the beach, the Brooklyn Chilren's Museum, the Liberty Science Center, or the Aquarium in Norwalk might also be worth visiting for you with her. If she likes dolls, and you can stand it, there's the American Girl experience store/cafe, and she might like a view from Top of the Rock or ESB.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
The science center at Flushing Meadows was designed especially for kids. (And when she's had enough of science...there's always Coney Island!)

Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
Just to throw a toy store into the mix.

FAO Schwarz (http://www.fao.com/stores.html#new-york - broken link)

Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Actually, I'd recommend NOT taking the ferry around Manhattan (I assume you mean the Circle Line?) -- it's fine for adults, but I'm not sure it would hold a preteen's interest. A better choice might be the Staten Island Ferry, which is a shorter trip, but still gives some good views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Actually, I'd recommend NOT taking the ferry around Manhattan (I assume you mean the Circle Line?) -- it's fine for adults, but I'm not sure it would hold a preteen's interest. A better choice might be the Staten Island Ferry, which is a shorter trip, but still gives some good views of lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty.
Or even the shorter Circle Line ride that only goes to the Statue is good. Seriously, the 3 hour tour isn't going to be fun for a younger kid.. it's mostly good information, not a lot of sights, especially after the Statue.. most of Manhattan's architecture that might be found interesting is in the center, not the outer rims of the island.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times
The Toys R Us in Times Square --- the ferris wheel is always fun (and the wait isn't as long as it seems). The Statue of Liberty for sure. Mars 2112 (the aliens are cool and there's a game room). Empire State Building and the Skyride (see if NJ Transit has a ticket combo deal for this). The Hello Kitty Store (Sanrio) on 42nd Street off 8th Avenue across from Madame Tussaud's. Take her on one of those double decker bus tours (I've never been on one but they look fun!)

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM

20 posts, read 137,034 times
Thank you guys for all your advices. I have never been on Circle Line myself but I agree that shorter ferry might be more appealing to her. I have posted the same thread on NJ room and have gotten very helpful tips over there as well. One more question to you NYC folks: Which one would you recommend for my niece? Americal Girl or FAO Schwarz? A few people from NJ thread recommended these two stores and they are basically upscale toy stores, no? If anyone has been to both places with his/her daughters, let me know which one your daughters liked better.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM

43,624 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I would recommend taking her to Radio City Music Hall to see a show. My grandmother used to take me & my sister there when we were children visiting NYC (I didn't live in NY then!) and we loved it.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I would tend to vote for Americal Girl as opposed to what is now masqerading as FAO Schwarz, since it's just not the same after the company was retooled out of bankruptcy. It's not a bad experience, overall, but it's not the must see that it once was, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City