Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 48,626 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I currently live in Los Angeles and are thinking about moving to Upstate New York. He is black and I am black and white. He hopes to go for his PhD in Theology possibly in New York city, or at another school somewhere else in the state. I am a clinical social worker/therapist.

We are planning to have some kids, and would like to buy a nice house (probably a starter house at first, or maybe rent initially), but I can't help but taking the advice here with a grain of salt wondering if it would apply to a black family as well... Which cities upstate are welcoming for African-Americans? I want us to feel comfortable where we live, and for our future kids to feel comfortable as well.

We have been thinking about Saratoga Springs, Albany, maybe Syracuse. We are planning a trip to NY this fall and are trying to figure out where to visit. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:52 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
The upstate cities do not have as many well off african-americans as los angeles. You would not have trouble fitting in as people in the cities are generally accepting but you may feel out of place. Though the street I live on in my suburb is about half black, most suburbs are whitebread.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Garmin....what street in what suburb do you live on that is almost half black?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Irondequoit. Don't want to give my street name out since I like to keep as much personal information off the net as possible.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 PM

8 posts, read 48,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Irondequoit. Don't want to give my street name out since I like to keep as much personal information off the net as possible.
Thanks for your honest response garmin Is your street typical of Irondequoit?

Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
haha...I can answer that, NO. Like he said, suburban Rochester is almost all white. Brighton and Henrietta both have somewhat significant asian populations, and Greece and Gates have small Indian (from India) populations...but that's about it. That's why I was so surprised to read that his street was almost half black....in most of Suburban Rochester, it is still considered a "big deal" (NOT really considered a bad thing anymore, just something new and very rare) when even one black family moves into the neighborhood. I love greater Rochester and am very glad that I will be moving into a great house in Greece off English road by the end of August....but if there's one thing I just can't deny about it....its still pretty segregated. The city of Rochester has white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods and puerto rican neighborhoods (really only one neighborhood around N. Goodman street)...and the suburbs are all overwhelmingly white.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
its still pretty segregated. The city of Rochester has white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods and puerto rican neighborhoods (really only one neighborhood around N. Goodman street)...and the suburbs are all overwhelmingly white.
This describes Buffalo also ... pretty much all the upstate cities are like this , Syracuse, Utica and Albany as well, Im sure.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 AM

18 posts, read 106,004 times
It is so sad that there are still concerns as to where to live because of race. I also had to ask about it since we are an interracial couple wanting to relocate. I am sorry that this is still a concern in this day and age. Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
One thing I learned about my time up in Syracuse (went to SU) was that although I loved school, there's a bit of blatant racism in upstate New York.

But the thing you are gonna have to be more concerned about is the job market, which is not that good upstate. It's been that way for the last 20 years.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM

18 posts, read 106,004 times
really? That's too bad. I was looking forward to visiting Niagra Falls. There is a place there that I belive I am more than qualified to work at up there.

So, are there no "African American friendly" towns in New york state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York