Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 08:03 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,218 times

Advertisements

A nice little bit about construction in Ithaca (from the Ithaca Voice):

Throwback Thursday: Ithaca constructionThe Ithaca Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
A nice little bit about construction in Ithaca (from the Ithaca Voice):

Throwback Thursday: Ithaca constructionThe Ithaca Voice
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Nice pictures.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
So if there were cars on State Street you wouldn't have visited?

A search on Google will provide you with article after article on why pedestrian malls are failures. And they are just so 1970's, when downtowns were emptying out and could not compete with the new shopping centers on the fringes of towns. That is no longer the case. People love to shop downtown.

But downtowns need good parking. And The Commons has no convenient parking if you're on the on the way to work or coming back from and want to get a cup of coffee, or go to the cleaners, or get a slice of pizza or whatever you want to do quickly, without having to park in a garage.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a fully opened one-way State Street could have diagonal parking on one side of the street. If so, presto - hundreds of parking spaces!

But the idea of a closed off street can be appealing. So what do you do? You close off the street on summer weekends when the weather is good, and people have time to stroll. How hard is that?

So now you would have your ideal downtown main street. Easy and convenient parking, with a temporary pedestrian mall in the summer.

Oh well. I should have been an urban planner.
The Commons is only a couple blocks long, it attracts businesses that aren't geared towards grab and go traffic. There are nearby blocks that can do that better already. The most downtown locations are never going to compete that well for someone who wants the most driving convenience anyway. The other benefit of the commons is it allows a nice public space, decorative spots, seating, etc. The commons is often busy except in the worst weather. Also there a lot people (students, those who live right nearby, and others affiliated with the university who aren't driving so the lack of parking isn't as big of a deal..

Old 09-19-2014, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
Ctown has a few permanent residents that are unhappy that they're subjected to students, but it's a small number compared to South Hill.
Agree with your post. But it sounds absurd to live in college town and complain about being subjected to students. Surely that was obvious that would happen when moving there? I think Svante Merick lives in Collegetown.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:53 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Commons is only a couple blocks long, it attracts businesses that aren't geared towards grab and go traffic. There are nearby blocks that can do that better already. The most downtown locations are never going to compete that well for someone who wants the most driving convenience anyway. The other benefit of the commons is it allows a nice public space, decorative spots, seating, etc. The commons is often busy except in the worst weather. Also there a lot people (students, those who live right nearby, and others affiliated with the university who aren't driving so the lack of parking isn't as big of a deal..
When I lived there years ago, there was a very high vacancy rate, and let's just say most of the occupied stores were "dusty." Have things changed?

In terms of the "worst weather," Ithaca has lots of "worst weather." I still say it would have made sense to open the street to traffic, create diagonal parking, and then ban traffic from let's say May to October, from Friday night to Sunday night.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
When I lived there years ago, there was a very high vacancy rate, and let's just say most of the occupied stores were "dusty." Have things changed?
There's still some vacancies, but plenty of decent shops.

Quote:
In terms of the "worst weather," Ithaca has lots of "worst weather." I still say it would have made sense to open the street to traffic, create diagonal parking, and then ban traffic from let's say May to October, from Friday night to Sunday night.
I always the public space in the commons. It'd be a shame to lose it. It's nice as a place to linger not drive in and out, there are enough blocks surrounding for that

Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:

This is 2014 not years ago. The vacancy rate is pretty low nowadays.

Worst weather? It's New York! Of course there is snow in the winter. Snow only keeps Northerners indoors during major storms. No point in staying indoors 4 months of the year. Too many festivals and other events happening to stay home anyway.

No need whatsoever for cars in the Commons. It's fine the way it is. Walking is good for you. And many people live very close by and walk anyway. You can always park outside the Commons and walk into it.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,316,218 times
FINALLY

From the Cornell Sun:

Ithaca Approves Development After Years of Deliberation

September 24, 2014 2:06 am

By ZOE FERGUSON

After years of planning and evaluation, the City of Ithaca Planning and Development Board finally approved the new multipurpose building Collegetown Crossing to begin work at a meeting on Tuesday evening.
Collegetown Crossing will be a mixed-use building project that will combine residential and commercial properties in one 8,600 square foot building immediately south of Ithaca Fire Station No. 9. The project will consist of a new building at 307 College Ave. — designed by architect Jagat Sharma — with 46 apartments and 96 residents, according to the project description presented to the Planning Board Tuesday.
In addition to apartments, the building will include several commercial storefronts, including a GreenStar Cooperative Market, according to Josh Lower ’05, the developer of Collegetown Crossing.

A rendering shows a proposed vision of Collegetown Crossing, which was approved by the City of Ithaca Planning and Development Board Tuesday, which will be located at 307 College Ave. Courtesy of City of Ithaca

Lower said that he hopes to begin construction in spring 2015 and have the building available for apartment rentals by the 2016-17 academic year.
Lower has been presenting modified proposals for the new building since 2010, when The Sun first reported his initial request for a Board of Zoning Appeals variance to the city’s parking laws. Lower’s requests were rejected in 2013.
Without the parking variance, which would have allowed him to move forward with his project without creating 57 parking spaces on the site, Lower’s project was stalled until the Common Council approved its new form-based zoning, which removed the minimum parking requirements on the College Avenue portion of Lower’s project.
Ithacan Stephanie Hayes spoke during the public hearing in favor of Collegetown Crossing.
“This is something that would benefit this community hugely,” Hayes said. “What is proposed would actually do something for the entire community.”
Hayes added Collegetown Crossing would make her feel that she has “a place that is my home again.”
“There’s no reason to stay [in Collegetown] anymore,” she said. “This project actually starts giving back to what was there.”
After 45 minutes of discussion, the Planning Board unanimously voted to approve the project. Lower thanked the board members for devoting their time to the project for the past four years.
“I appreciate all the time and energy that you, especially the staff, have put in over the years. I think we have a better project,” Lower said. “Thank you for all of the late hours you have put in.”
After the hearing, Prof. Garrick Blalock, applied economics and management, a member of the Planning Board, described the magnitude of “excitement” about Collegetown Crossing that he has witnessed among Cornell students.
“The level of excitement when you tell the Cornell undergraduate body that there is going to be a real grocery store in Collegetown — people are really excited about it,” Blalock said. “I think that it’s going to be an enormous addition to the character of Collegetown.”
The project site will extend across the block between College and Linden Avenue and will include a public cross-block walkway to provide a pedestrian shortcut between these two major roads.
Collegetown Crossing will also include a new heated bus shelter for TCAT passengers within the building’s College Avenue facade. The bus shelter will be to the south of the building, next to the entrance of the GreenStar, Lower said, and will be intended to help improve TCAT passengers’ experience.
“There are a lot of people in our community that depend on our public transit,” Lower said. “Having a bus stop where people can wait in a heated, climate-controlled area is really big. We’re trying to help improve the system here, and we really want to make this nice.”
Members of the planning board expressed approval for the new heated bus shelter, which will be paid for entirely by Collegetown Crossing at no expense to TCAT.
“When I was an undergrad, the principal downtown bus stop was in the Rothschild’s store,” said, John Schroeder ’74, who is also the production manager of The Sun. “This has happened in the past. There is a history, so you’re really re-establishing part of that history.”
Daniel Keough grad said he had been involved with Collegetown Crossing for several years and was happy to see it approved.
“I was a volunteer advocate a number of years ago as the project was being proposed for the Planning Board,” Keough said. “I’m very excited that it has gone through the Planning Board phase and successfully been approved. It’s an incredible transit-oriented development and will bring better access to healthy foods in Collegetown.”
“This Collegetown Crossing project is the one that inspired me to learn about city planning and to apply to Cornell,” Keough said.
Through tears, Lower thanked his family and friends for their continuing support of the project.
“I’m really fortunate that I have this opportunity,” Lower said. “I can’t tell you how lucky I am to be able to build a bus stop, to bring a grocery store, to build this pedestrian walkway.”
Lower said that he sees an increasing “demand for walkable places and spaces where you can have things within a few blocks.”
“I think that this is just a shift in our thinking and the demands of our society,” Lower said. “I’m just trying to give the market what the market’s looking for.”
With the addition of Collegetown Crossing, Lower said he hopes to add an element of community that he feels Collegetown lacks.
“I live in Collegetown. It’s my neighborhood, and this is something that’s missing from the neighborhood,” Lower said. “I have an opportunity to provide it.”

Here's the link:

Cornell Daily Sun

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
The project will consist of a new building at 307 College Ave. — designed by architect Jagat Sharma — with 46 apartments and 96 residents, according to the project description presented to the Planning Board Tuesday.
How do they know how many residents there will be? With 46 apartments, there are many combinations of number of residents. Or is there something written that says they can only have 96 residents in the building? I didn't see anything more on this in the article posted.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:40 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This is 2014 not years ago. The vacancy rate is pretty low nowadays.

Worst weather? It's New York! Of course there is snow in the winter. Snow only keeps Northerners indoors during major storms. No point in staying indoors 4 months of the year. Too many festivals and other events happening to stay home anyway.

No need whatsoever for cars in the Commons. It's fine the way it is. Walking is good for you. And many people live very close by and walk anyway. You can always park outside the Commons and walk into it.
Yeah, there must be so many people walking The Commons on those rainy November days when it's 40 degrees. You could probably shoot a cannon down the street safely. But if cars could drive through The Commons on those rainy November days, the stores would be doing business, correct?

Nobody wants to park in a nearby parking garage to get a cup of coffee. With a diagonal space in front of the store, people would get coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York