Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheLionSunBorn View Post
East Syracuse Minoa is phenomenal! I have two children on the spectrum (one with severe Autism, the other fairly mild) and I could not be more pleased with the dedication, compassion, professionalism and WARMTH demonstrated by every faculty and staff member involved with the special education process in district. We relocated from Seattle, WA a year ago and had zero trouble getting the kiddos up and running with everything they needed in terms of services. Communication between OT/PT and Speech service providers at the elementary school level is both proactive and transparent -It's not unusual for me to receive a call from my son's speech therapist a few times a month just to update me on his progress and help me brainstorm ways to keep him excited and engaged. Everyone from the principals on down exercise an open door policy and are always willing to make time to address any concerns. There is never a time when I feel like I'm not fully briefed, or left wondering exactly what's going on in the classroom.

I'd shoot Cate Colucci an email if you'd like additional info specific to your child's needs
Special Education

Plenty of family-friendly activities available in the area, and the therapeutic service providers are abundant (10-15 min drive into Syracuse). There are even several family medical practices in the area who specialize in routine medical treatment for children with Autism and sensory issues (Dentists, Pediatricians, Opthamologists, etc.)

Good luck in your search!
Actually, I know that Child Healthcare Associates on Kirkville Road in East Syracuse is a pediatric physician group that is good with children with Autism. They have another office on Route 57 in Clay(Liverpool area).

Glad to hear from someone else about ES-M's Special Education program, which I've heard good things about from people that went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,640 times
In bennington vermont with horrible school districts. Single mom here and now to the point I am homeschooling my autistic daughter. Looking to move to NY, but not even sure where to start..she is high functioning but academically 2 years or so behind. Any suggestions are so appreciated. Looking for great school with amazing special ed and nice neighborhoods near things to do

Last edited by lizw703; 05-14-2016 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizw703 View Post
In bennington vermont with horrible school districts. Single mom here and now to the point I am homeschooling my autistic daughter. Looking to move to NY, but not even sure where to start..she is high functioning but academically 2 years or so behind. Any suggestions are so appreciated. Looking for great school with amazing special ed and nice neighborhoods near things to do
There is some info earlier in the thread.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 13,485 times
Default Ditto

My littles are seen at Child Healthcare Associates in East Syracuse as well. Wonderful practice. Very patient and gentle - and they offer evening and weekend appointments!

@lizw703, East Syracuse also offers recreation leagues and a lot of day/summer camps that are inclusive of children with special needs. It's not the fanciest burb on earth, but it's got a lot of great amenities and a real sense of community

Old 05-18-2016, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 8,640 times
Thank you so much for the info!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 13,485 times
Addendum: I've seen a few posters mention Ed Smith as a viable option. Our family recently transitioned to Syracuse City School District after having spent our first year in the ESM district. The experience - from registration all the way down to the classroom dynamics, has been highly discouraging. While I'd agree that Ed Smith does appear to be one of the better schools in the district, it is still woefully behind the times, with a special education program that is both overburdened and bare bones. The special education classroom environment is reminiscent of programs and teaching methods used in the early 80's... very much 'one size fits all' with no regard to the nature and unique challenges of each child's individual disability. Even the language in the student code of conduct regarding special needs and discipline is harsh and unsettling.

If you have the choice, I'd STRONGLY consider opting for any one of the suburban school districts (Liverpool, West Genesee or East Syracuse-Minoa in particular.)

Old 10-17-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheLionSunBorn View Post
Addendum: I've seen a few posters mention Ed Smith as a viable option. Our family recently transitioned to Syracuse City School District after having spent our first year in the ESM district. The experience - from registration all the way down to the classroom dynamics, has been highly discouraging. While I'd agree that Ed Smith does appear to be one of the better schools in the district, it is still woefully behind the times, with a special education program that is both overburdened and bare bones. The special education classroom environment is reminiscent of programs and teaching methods used in the early 80's... very much 'one size fits all' with no regard to the nature and unique challenges of each child's individual disability. Even the language in the student code of conduct regarding special needs and discipline is harsh and unsettling.

If you have the choice, I'd STRONGLY consider opting for any one of the suburban school districts (Liverpool, West Genesee or East Syracuse-Minoa in particular.)
Thank you for the information. I was talking with someone else that mentioned Baldwinsville in terms of allowing more time for her son who special academic needs(not related to autism, as far as I know). I've also heard about Onondaga Central as well supposedly having good special needs services.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 AM

3 posts, read 2,858 times
Positively move to a better district might be a choice, such as a better school. Hope it's helpful for you. Creative-Peptides

Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thank you for the information. I was talking with someone else that mentioned Baldwinsville in terms of allowing more time for her son who special academic needs(not related to autism, as far as I know). I've also heard about Onondaga Central as well supposedly having good special needs services.
I will also say that in some/many cases, the top suburban districts tend to not have as many services as say other suburban districts that may not be as highly rated in the media lists, but are still generally good.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I will also say that in some/many cases, the top suburban districts tend to not have as many services as say other suburban districts that may not be as highly rated in the media lists, but are still generally good.
This article ironically is a good example of this: Special ed complaints at F-M: Family moving out after school denies service to son | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York