Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:25 PM

26 posts, read 219,038 times

Advertisements

I myself live in Ulster County where the Hudson River and the Catskills meet, and I do not consider this upstate. Many of my relatives when visiting refer to it as that, and it drives me nuts! I believe it is Eastern New York State. Does anyone think like me or differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
Per Wikipedia...

...term "Upstate" sometimes used to refer to the whole of the state besides New York City and Long Island, and by others to refer only to the portion of the state north of Poughkeepsie and west of the Catskill Mountains. Because Westchester County, Putnam County, and Rockland County contain many communities of New York City commuters, they are rarely if ever considered part of Upstate New York. (As a matter of fact they have been considered part of Metro New York City as far back as the 1950's during the period of mass suburban growth.)

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallkiller728 View Post
I myself live in Ulster County where the Hudson River and the Catskills meet, and I do not consider this upstate. Many of my relatives when visiting refer to it as that, and it drives me nuts! I believe it is Eastern New York State. Does anyone think like me or differently?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
I live in Manhattan and while the areas you mention aren't 'really' upstate, yes, they are upstate.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:31 PM

Default ...

I suppose I should've expected a wide variety of answers. It is a subject that can never be placed into a set category.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times
Wall killer I worked in the City for the past 25 years and we had three categories of people, 1)city 2)Long Island and 3) upstate. Everybody is in one of those categories. There is no stigma to upstate, be proud

Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM

Default ...

I am proud to live in the beautiful valley I live in, but it does NOT deserve to be placed in a broad category. Those who live in the city can consider this upstate all they want, that will not make it so. Nevertheless, I am proud to live here. If NYC and Long Island receive attribution, my region will too.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:28 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Wall killer I worked in the City for the past 25 years and we had three categories of people, 1)city 2)Long Island and 3) upstate. Everybody is in one of those categories. There is no stigma to upstate, be proud
Glen NY, I'm not sure if you have noticed yet, but when people in the Syracuse suburbs say "the city" more often than not they are talking about the city of Syracuse...NOT New York City.

I grew up with people referring to "the City" as the City of Syracuse...saying things like "I'm going down City" or "Where is that located?...in the City" or "the City has bad leaders" or "there was a shooting in the City today" or "how do you get to this place in the City" etc...

The Syracuse suburbs are so far from NYC that we live in totally different worlds.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I agree with you completely but I had to laugh, aloud at the question because I worked for a NYS agency and we had an office in NYC and Albany. We regionalized responsibilities and I was the director of "Downstate" and my co-director was responsible for "Upstate" - we drew the line at Westchester County, and I gave him Long Island for years, but he gave it back to me.

Both the Albany and the NYC staff were rigid about this qualification. The only, single advantage it had was a better distribution of funds--in favor of Statewide

Quote:
I am proud to live in the beautiful valley I live in, but it does NOT deserve to be placed in a broad category. Those who live in the city can consider this upstate all they want, that will not make it so. Nevertheless, I am proud to live here. If NYC and Long Island receive attribution, my region will too.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:48 PM

Default ?

ontheroad that does not make any sense to me what so ever because there is a prison nearby in dutchess county referred to as the "downstate" facililty, so it is not a unified NYS agency system.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Nothing about the NYS Government ever made sense to me.

Quote:
ontheroad that does not make any sense to me what so ever because there is a prison nearby in dutchess county referred to as the "downstate" facililty, so it is not a unified NYS agency system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York